Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I stopped by one of the Best Buys next to where I live, and I asked at the Mobile Desk if they heard anything about the Pre...

... all three of the reps eyes widened and yelled out "We all played with it!"...

Apparently a Palm rep was in there on last Fri, showing off the phone and giving a little crash course...

They each had about 5 min each with it... early impressions are as follows...

1. Sliding mech is surprisingly "sweet and solid"
    2. Keyboard will take a little getting used to, especially since they all have smart-phones already (two with Treo 755p's and one person with a BB)
    3. Interface is very "showy", meaning that people will be amazed by how flashy it is...
    4. The one sad thing is that I am the first person that came in to ask about it so far since Fri...

none of the reps were able to comment on voice quality, or installed apps...

I know that this is nothing new... but I am amazed that Palm is going around to different Best Buys showing off the product... and I have yet to read about that...
    Last edited by mrkalel; 05/13/2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: grammer
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Are you in NYC? Which Best Buy was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    4. The one sad thing is that I am the first person that came in to ask about it so far since Fri...
    I don't think that's particularly troublesome. I'm chomping at the bit for the Pre, and "gave up" on Best Buy some time ago (in relation to the Pre). Too many stores, with too many employees, to make it worthwhile to try to find the one(s) where someone actually knew something about the device.

I know that this is nothing new... but I am amazed that Palm is going around to different Best Buys showing off the product... and I have yet to read about that...
    I disagree with this one. This is great news, and it's the first I've heard of Palm (or Sprint) reps going around showing the unit.
    I definitely know that I need to get used to the keyboard...but it's like that with every phone, especially if you switch form factors. I make it a point to try out different keyboards when going to any cell phone place...but I have noticed that must of the dummy phones have really crappy keyboards that most likely do not resemble the ones of the real phone. But it's good enough just to see how my thumbs will deal with their new role. So far the Treo Pro and Centro seem to come the closest to the Pre, although the Pres keys some spaced further apart and have a bit of a smile shaped arrangement. It will be my first qwerty board phone, so I am sure once I get used to it, I'll love it.

I like the comments on the smooth and solid slider, and the flashy interface! Too bad they didn't mention speed of the UI, since that last guy that wrote a "review" said there was no lag at all...would have been nice to have some confirmation in that respect.
    Sweet. Glad to hear the sliding mechanism seemed solid - kind of important since it will be slid in and out a bazillion times a day.

Regarding the keyboard - I have a Centro, so it certainly is no smaller than that - in fact, I read it is similar in size, perhaps a little bigger, so I'm good with that.

The interface being "showy" or "flashy" is great news, if that means that it has quick response. We have all seen the slight lag of screen changes in the demo's, but I read somewhere (on this forum) that perhaps that has been sped up a bit.

Sure am excited to get this thing!

yes, palm is doing a great job of keeping the Pre quiet outside of the tech savvy world.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I definitely know that I need to get used to the keyboard...but it's like that with every phone, especially if you switch form factors. I make it a point to try out different keyboards when going to any cell phone place...but I have noticed that must of the dummy phones have really crappy keyboards that most likely do not resemble the ones of the real phone. But it's good enough just to see how my thumbs will deal with their new role. So far the Treo Pro and Centro seem to come the closest to the Pre, although the Pres keys some spaced further apart and have a bit of a smile shaped arrangement. It will be my first qwerty board phone, so I am sure once I get used to it, I'll love it.
    My thoughts exactly on the keys. I've been looking up google image pics of the Pre vs other keyboards since it is the only means right now of data entry it concerns me if they screw it up it will cost them dearly. I hope its nothing like the centro since the keys there are so cramped I'd probably pass on the Pre.

They do look further spaced and more definiative / better shaped. I'll just have to wait and see.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    My thoughts exactly on the keys. I've been looking up google image pics of the Pre vs other keyboards since it is the only means right now of data entry it concerns me if they screw it up it will cost them dearly. I hope its nothing like the centro since the keys there are so cramped I'd probably pass on the Pre.

They do look further spaced and more definiative / better shaped. I'll just have to wait and see.
    I was really hoping it was a cross between the 755 and Pro somehow.
    My only concern with the keyboard is that the top row of keys is awfully close to the lower edge of the phone body.
    I am more worried about the balance of the handset while typing than the keyboard size and mechanics. The Pro uses what seems to be identical keyboard and took just a few days to get used to.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Are you in NYC? Which Best Buy was it?
    lol... I hate to give it away ( )... since I talked to two of the guys & promised them tips, if they hold onto 2 of them the day it drops...

But it is in NY... They did mention that the rep was "Making the rounds" to the different BB in the area...
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts

I like the comments on the smooth and solid slider, and the flashy interface! Too bad they didn't mention speed of the UI, since that last guy that wrote a "review" said there was no lag at all...would have been nice to have some confirmation in that respect.

As per the flashy comment... they all said there was no lag that they saw...
    lol... I hate to give it away ( )... since I talked to two of the guys & promised them tips, if they hold onto 2 of them the day it drops...

But it is in NY... They did mention that the rep was "Making the rounds" to the different BB in the area...
    The excitement builds!! Makes me want to set up camp at the local Best Buy, with a stolen Best Buy shirt, looking for a guy with a Palm shirt!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    BTW... I asked them all what was the one thing that they hated about the Pre -

And two of them said pretty much having to learn a new UI, (which I think isnt a problem),
    And the other person said "Not being able to use the keyboard properly when in landscape mode"
    BTW... I asked them all what was the one thing that they hated about the Pre -

And two of them said pretty much having to learn a new UI, (which I think isnt a problem),
    And the other person said "Not being able to use the keyboard properly when in landscape mode"
    LoL...if that's all they hated, we're good! Learning a new UI is part of the fun! Finally something new to discover and play with!

And...uh...how the hell are you gonna use that keyboard in landscape mode. That point really is not a point but a given, all you have to do is look at the phone and you know you can't type in landscape mode. I really don't care, I use Opera Mobile 9.5 on my Sprint Touch and I never go to landscape mode. While you do get to see a little more of the screen in landscape mode, you still can't see everything, and Opera Mobile does such a good job in reformating the screen for easy reading without having to scroll from side to side, that I find landscape mode pretty much useless, save for watching videos. I hope the Pres browser will be as good as or even better than Opera at reformating the screen for easier reading. As I understand it, a double tap will zoom in and reformat for easier reading, and the multitouch pinch thing allows you to zoom in even more. However, with the manual zoom, I don't think the browser reformats to text for easier reading. We'll see soon enough how it really works. It really is kind of sad that the videos out there don't spend much time on covering the browser. It's always just a quick jump to some spanish tomato fight website, or the blue man group thing.
    very interesting...it's getting closer...I can feel it!!!
    The excitement builds!! Makes me want to set up camp at the local Best Buy, with a stolen Best Buy shirt, looking for a guy with a Palm shirt!
    Oh, God, that's so sad and geeky and yet oddly attractive. I mean, the idea, not you in a Best Buy shirt. Oh, yeesh, this post hasn't gone well....
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    LoL...if that's all they hated, we're good! Learning a new UI is part of the fun! Finally something new to discover and play with!

And...uh...how the hell are you gonna use that keyboard in landscape mode. That point really is not a point but a given, all you have to do is look at the phone and you know you can't type in landscape mode. I really don't care, I use Opera Mobile 9.5 on my Sprint Touch and I never go to landscape mode. While you do get to see a little more of the screen in landscape mode, you still can't see everything, and Opera Mobile does such a good job in reformating the screen for easy reading without having to scroll from side to side, that I find landscape mode pretty much useless, save for watching videos. I hope the Pres browser will be as good as or even better than Opera at reformating the screen for easier reading. As I understand it, a double tap will zoom in and reformat for easier reading, and the multitouch pinch thing allows you to zoom in even more. However, with the manual zoom, I don't think the browser reformats to text for easier reading. We'll see soon enough how it really works. It really is kind of sad that the videos out there don't spend much time on covering the browser. It's always just a quick jump to some spanish tomato fight website, or the blue man group thing.
    Sorry I didn't make myself clearer... they didn't mean to use the actual physical keyboard... but not having an ability to use "a" keyboard in landscape (no software 'board that is...)
    Sorry I didn't make myself clearer... they didn't mean to use the actual physical keyboard... but not having an ability to use "a" keyboard in landscape (no software 'board that is...)
    Blah... I really don't want to screw around with an onscreen keyboard anymore. The "advantage" of seeing more of the browser in landscape mode completely disappears when you use a software keyboard because you give up half the screen real estate to the keyboard. Keep it portrait and let me use the entire screen to see the browser, and I am happy!
    Tips? As in cash tips? At Best Buy? For them to hold two Pre's for you? Really? Wow. Somehow I don't see this working at my Best Buy store.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast