Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Other than the fact that the iPhone has it, so it *must* be cool, I mean?

It's less accurate than a resitive screen.

It doesn't really work well with a stylus, and those styli that are available have a point the size of a pencil erasor, instead of a pencil point, amplifying the lack of accuracy.

They don't work with gloves (except a special pair of geek gloves designed forthe iPhone).

Gestures could easily be implemented on a resistive screen, it seems.

So why did Palm and Apple go with a technology that is inferior in many ways? What am I missing here?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    It's more accurate. Or at least, more sensitive.

And multitouch.
    Multitouch
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    It works better with fingers than resistive does.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    From what I've heard, it's much more sensitive when using a finger. Resistive screens are good for the stylus with the small point because they work by detecting the pressure, so using a finger is harder because you have to press down more. For a device like the Pre or the iPhone that's meant to be used with fingers instead of a stylus, capacitive screens are much better.
    Tablet PC's with a capacitive screen like the Latitude XT have styli with fine points...

Damn I just remembered that I use my Centro's pen stylus a lot and I won't have one for the Pre...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Browse and post on a forum like this one and the advantages of capacitive touch become all too clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Browse and post on a forum like this one and the advantages of capacitive touch become all too clear.
    I'm browsing it just fine on my iPhone. Im sure it will work just as well on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I'm browsing it just fine on my iPhone. Im sure it will work just as well on the Pre.
    Um...that was my point. Browsing and posting here on a resistive all-touchscreen like the Instinct S30 is way more difficult than with a capacitive screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Um...that was my point. Browsing and posting here on a resistive all-touchscreen like the Instinct S30 is way more difficult than with a capacitive screen.
    I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Tablet PC's with a capacitive screen like the Latitude XT have styli with fine points...

Damn I just remembered that I use my Centro's pen stylus a lot and I won't have one for the Pre...
    You use it a lot because the Palm OS isn't designed for fingers, and the screen on that phone is tiny. Trust me, with webOS, icons/buttons are much bigger, you won't miss the stylus one bit.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    You use it a lot because the Palm OS isn't designed for fingers, and the screen on that phone is tiny. Trust me, with webOS, icons/buttons are much bigger, you won't miss the stylus one bit.
    I think he ment the pen part!
    Terry
    You can use an orange peel on a capacitive touch screen.

What? You can. Try it.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I'm forced to use the stylus on my Touch Pro because some Windows Mobile screen elements are just too small to engage with a finger. However, I'd rather _not_ have to pull out the stylus, and so I'm looking forward to an interface that's based on using one's finger(s) exclusively.

Another advantage of capacitive is that it's less difficult to engage accidentally. For example, my Touch Pro is constantly dialing people randomly because something presses accidentally on the screen (and the damn thing won't stay turned off like it's supposed to). Capacitive screens can suffer from accidental skin touches, of course, which is why the Pre will have (and the iPhone has) a proximity sensor to turn off touch when you press it to your cheek.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm forced to use the stylus on my Touch Pro because some Windows Mobile screen elements are just too small to engage with a finger. However, I'd rather _not_ have to pull out the stylus, and so I'm looking forward to an interface that's based on using one's finger(s) exclusively.

Another advantage of capacitive is that it's less difficult to engage accidentally. For example, my Touch Pro is constantly dialing people randomly because something presses accidentally on the screen (and the damn thing won't stay turned off like it's supposed to). Capacitive screens can suffer from accidental skin touches, of course, which is why the Pre will have (and the iPhone has) a proximity sensor to turn off touch when you press it to your cheek.
    You can install S2U2 on your Touch Pro so you will have an unlock screen. It also gives you the option to to turn the screen off as soon as you make a call. Google it...good program.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    You can install S2U2 on your Touch Pro so you will have an unlock screen. It also gives you the option to to turn the screen off as soon as you make a call. Google it...good program.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    a proximity sensor to turn off touch when you press it to your cheek.
    hmmm, I could swear the proximity sensor was to release a shock if anybody else held your Pre...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Check out the Wikipedia page on touch screens for some basic info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_screen

Capacitive seems to be the one w/ the best multi-touch capability. My Instinct has a resistive screen that works pretty well, but like I said it multi-touch is probably the main reason Apple went with the technology for the iPhone.
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 05/13/2009 at 04:45 AM.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    I found this to be a good analysis of the pros and cons of resistive and capacitive touchscreens:
    Resistive vs Capacitive: the invisible tech war in which both opponents can win? - All About Symbian Feature
    Another benefit is that gestures are much smoother since you don't have to apply heavy pressure for them to be recognized. I have the capacitive touch on my Dell XT tablet, and I never want to go back to resistive touch again.

(Though for the record, the 'stylus' Eguy mentions for it above isn't actually a stylus, but a pen. It transmits an electromagnetic signal and is powered magnetically by the digitizer. I doubt it'd actually work for the Pre screen, though I'll definitely be trying it out myself.)
    Last edited by jhoff80; 05/13/2009 at 02:19 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast