1.    #1  
    On Sprint's Palm page, to sign up for the alert, you click a button that says "Tell me when it's out." And the page it takes you to states, "You will receive an email notification the day the Palm® Pre™ is available for purchase."

What if Sprint never announces a release date and simply says, "It's out! come get it." when the day arrives? It would explain why we haven't any Pre focused ads yet, and would explain why they are keeping the date so hush hush. It would also help keep the long lines from forming like when the iPhone came out, especially if they plan on teaching each person how to use the phone right there in the store. I suspect only us, the people REALLY watching the Pre news will know about it, and the general public will catch on later.

This is of course, assuming no one gets a hold of the leak.

It's just a theory, and I also think Sprint is smarter than to release the Pre June 7th in front of the new iPhone. My guess: May 24th
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    With the rumor that the initial stock is relatively small, I was thinking the same thing. A soft launch would limit the backlash if they are short on supply. I also wouldn't be surprised to see an all-out blast of comercials, trying to out-do Apple. Basically I have no idea what they're doing.
    I just want to freaking pre-order mine and have it overnighted. I'm not going to risk them running out of stock at a Sprint store.

I don't want a "spontaneous" release. I would like to know a tad ahead of time. AND, I would like my phone a couple of days early since I am a Premier customer.

It would be kind of cool if they had a 'pre' release. Maybe a spontaneous kind of thing, and then had a big launch party. I doubt that will happen though. And by "it would be kind of cool" I really mean "I would love to get one early."
    The problem with a soft launch is that all the companies that are making apps for the "official" release date won't have their stuff out yet. For us, who will buy it no matter whats in the app catalog, it doesn't matter. But for the media who WILL compare this to the iPhone will criticize that heavily.

My 2 cents.
    Sorry kenton, but if your theory is correct then the marketing geniuses behind that idea should all be fired. They ought to *want* long lines of people camping out for days to get a pre. A miniscule percentage of the phone-buying public signed up on their website to be notified of the release. If they only let those people know that the phone is out, Sprint's far dumber than most people even accuse them of.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  7.    #7  
    Sorry Scott, you must not understand what I'm saying. I'm saying that Sprint's ads may just start the day of the release instead of the days leading up to the release. They will let everyone know at the same time via ads and such, we simply have an advantage because we would also get an email.

Isn't it odd that the site says "You will receive an email notification the day the Palm® Pre™ is available for purchase." instead of "you will be notified of when the Pre will be available?" It's a small difference, but in one case, Sprint sends an email on the release date (like June 7th). On the other, they would send an email when the release date is announced (like May 19th in the WSJ).
    Quote Originally Posted by kenton86 View Post
    Sorry Scott, you must not understand what I'm saying. I'm saying that Sprint's ads may just start the day of the release instead of the days leading up to the release. They will let everyone know at the same time via ads and such, we simply have an advantage because we would also get an email.

Isn't it odd that the site says "You will receive an email notification the day the Palm® Pre™ is available for purchase." instead of "you will be notified of when the Pre will be available?" It's a small difference, but in one case, Sprint sends an email on the release date (like June 7th). On the other, they would send an email when the release date is announced (like May 19th in the WSJ).
    Personally I think the whole email thing is a scam. It's really just a way for sprint to get your information. Honestly, is anyone who signs up for that going to be oblivious to all the other availability information?
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Personally I think the whole email thing is a scam. It's really just a way for sprint to get your information. Honestly, is anyone who signs up for that going to be oblivious to all the other availability information?
    A scam, really? I've been w Sprint for 5 years, so really, they already have my "information".

I did call my local Sprint store yesterday to ask about a wait list. They hadn't started one, so the lady I talked with said she would talk to her manager and call me back. Got a call back an hour later and she told me I was first on the wait list and would get a call when they had more details/information about the release. I'd suggest doing the same!
    I think it's impossible for Sprint to announce via a 'come and get it!' email. There are too many spies that would notify us that was coming days in advance. Stores won't receive Pre's for a launch like that without us knowing.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kenton86 View Post
    Isn't it odd that the site says "You will receive an email notification the day the Palm® Pre™ is available for purchase." instead of "you will be notified of when the Pre will be available?"
    No, it's not odd at all. It's exactly what they did with the 700p. The morning it came out I was reading the boards and saw that people had ordered it. I called and did the same. That afternoon, I got an email from Palm saying "The 700p is available!"
    Quote Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
    No, it's not odd at all. It's exactly what they did with the 700p. The morning it came out I was reading the boards and saw that people had ordered it. I called and did the same. That afternoon, I got an email from Palm saying "The 700p is available!"
    Yap this was the exact same with the HTC Touch Diamond, I orderned mine because I saw on the forums that it was available and they send me a e-mail later in the day.
    "You will receive an email notification the day the Palm® Pre™ is available for purchase."

Couldn't this simply mean that the pre may be available for purchase (as in a preorder) before the actual release date?

Thus, the way I'm reading this, nothing new may be gleaned.