View Poll Results: How many apps will be availible at launch???

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 100

57 68.67%
  • Between 100 and 500

19 22.89%
  • Between 500 and 1000

1 1.20%
  • Over 1000

6 7.23%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So the early developer sdk program is out for a few weeks, we dont know how many people actually got into it (I assume/hope a few hundred) and I was wondering how many apps would be available altogether at launch.
    I was in contact with a few (5) of them, and all of them and the minimum they said they where developing is 4 apps one even said 7, so with this in mind i thought, imagine if there are a few hundred available right away or even 1000, that would be HUGE for Palm, so what do you guys think?
    I'd expect maybe 100 or so, though of course I'd love to see more than that.
    Between 100 but under 500
    I think Palm has been hiding some really good apps. As the saying goes, "Quality over quantity."
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I got a iTouch yesterday and spent about 2 hours in the app store looking for free apps. Downloaded like 20, deleted 10 by the end of the night. I think 100 is plenty as long as they are functional. I WANT A VIDEO CAMERA APP ASAP!
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    I got a iTouch yesterday and spent about 2 hours in the app store looking for free apps. Downloaded like 20, deleted 10 by the end of the night. I think 100 is plenty as long as they are functional. I WANT A VIDEO CAMERA APP ASAP!
    The trouble is, one person's critical must-have app is another person's "who cares". Palm needs a lot of apps just to cover the range of must-haves in their potential customer base. Based on several threads here, that may be quite a bit more than 100.

For example: You really want a video camera app. I've never used the one included on my 755p.

But OTOH, if there's no ebook reader, I'll be taking releasemypre's mother hostage. PAAAALLLMMM! The Pre needs an ebook reader ON LAUNCH DAY!! Or I make his mother read War and Peace - ON PAPER! IN DIM LIGHT!
    I'll be extremely surprised if we see more than 20 in the app catalog on launch day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I'll be extremely surprised if we see more than 20 in the app catalog on launch day.
    10-20 useful ones. 100-150 fart-noise, beer-pouring, face-animating junk programs. Like the iPhone app store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    10-20 useful ones. 100-150 fart-noise, beer-pouring, face-animating junk programs. Like the iPhone app store.
    Yep.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Around 100 would be my guess within a week from release.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    For example: You really want a video camera app. I've never used the one included on my 755p.
    I have. Got a great shot of a Buddy trying to hit his golf ball from on a hill, about an inch from the water. I knew there was potential for catastrophe.

Somehow, he managed to not fall in the water, but his ball went in about 2 feet in front of him, he uttered a few expletives, threw his club, etc. You could hear us all laughing on the video.

It was on the highlight reel for all to see at our dinner later that night.

Cheers
    I am going to have to assume fewer than 100 apps will be ready on launch day, though I would expect that number to jump fairly quickly if application development really is as simple as Palm says and the device has reasonable sales figures. Probably within 2 months we will have crossed the 1000 app threshold, though quality of those apps will remain to be seen.
    I've been able to record several great videos with my 755p. Its come in handy for situations where you wouldn't normally bring a camera.

Then again, its not a must have at launch for me at all.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    I was surprised to see blackberry has over a 1000 apps already and it launched not too long ago so hopefully tons
    My guess is 50.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I have. Got a great shot of a Buddy trying to hit his golf ball from on a hill, about an inch from the water. I knew there was potential for catastrophe.

Somehow, he managed to not fall in the water, but his ball went in about 2 feet in front of him, he uttered a few expletives, threw his club, etc. You could hear us all laughing on the video.

It was on the highlight reel for all to see at our dinner later that night.

Cheers
    Didn't mean to imply that a video camera app wouldn't be useful, I was using it as an example of an app that some people would want very much and other people would be indifferent to.

My point was that any one person's opinion of how many apps WebOS needs is probably biased low, because there is a huge variation in what people want to do with their smartphone. If one person's must-have set of apps is totally disjoint with someone else's, they both underestimate how many apps Palm needs available to make everyone happy
    Last edited by dwhitman; 05/13/2009 at 07:32 AM. Reason: typos
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    My guess is about 50 to 100 at launch, with close to 500 within the first 3 to 4 months.
    you know @ launch there will probably be quite a few available, but check this how many will be the same code packaged in different color... when a lot of homegrowns get their hand on the code then a lot will probably blow up so expect about 1000 by the end of the year.... just my .02
    Classic Apps, are 10's of thousands of apps for the PalmOS - but if you are talking about only Pre or WebOS I think it will be around 100 apps.
  20.    #20  
    http://www.precentral.net/app-catalo...nshot-pre-apps
    So if true that in January there where (assuming) 27 apps available, hat do ya guys think now???? my guess is more to the 500 mark now for sure
    A developer confirmed with me that he is developing 13 apps that will be available at launch, 13 !!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast