Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone coming shortly: $29.99, no 3G support

Gimped Slingbox app, no 3G.

This also means iphone app developers are wasting their time with any future apps that may use "too much" 3G.

Not that Palm/Sprint may do the same, but at least we know Palm allows sideloading and that Sprint is more mature 3G network. And we know what Apple doesn't allow..whatever doesn't tax AT&T's crap network or interfere with their own plans to make money.
    Last edited by cardfan; 05/12/2009 at 01:14 PM.
  2.    #2  
    That's not true. Slingbox is allowed on every other smartphone. In this case, its the walled garden giving the carrier a chance to kill it. Otherwise, the carrier doesn't have much choice what we install.
    I also saw here.... New iPhone specs leaked -- 600MHz CPU, 32GB, 3.2MP cam? what are rumored to be the specs for the new iphone. A compass...a faster cpu, and more storage space. I figured they'd skip on that second camera for video phone calls...that would really kill AT&T's network.

I think presently, Sprint doesn't have too much to fear as far as its users taxing it's 3G network. After all, they really don't have any killer feature phones or smart phones that are as popular as the iPhone that is being used in data heavy apps. Yeah, people go online with their smart phones, but I don't think it's to the extended as the iPhone crowd.

Will the Pre change all that? If it is incredibly successful, will Sprints network get stressed to the point that they might raise prices, or put a cap on the "unlimited"? Only time will tell...but I sure hope not!
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    going to be interesting to see if the pre/sprint allows it. if they do thats a huge deal to many folks and you can bet every single one of them will drop at&t for sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone coming shortly: $29.99, no 3G support

This also means iphone app developers are wasting their time with any future apps that may use "too much" 3G.
    Define "wasting their time". I predict Sling will make more money with the iPhone version than any other version by far.

Now with that being said, If I was a Sling user, I would probably be mad right about now.
  6.    #6  
    A lot of the value of the sling app is gone if you can't use 3G. A waste of time because its not what they intended. You can be sure they spent a lot of dough developing this only to be told to gimp their own app.

They'll make some money but not nearly as much as they could have.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    A lot of the value of the sling app is gone if you can't use 3G. A waste of time because its not what they intended. You can be sure they spent a lot of dough developing this only to be told to gimp their own app.

They'll make some money but not nearly as much as they could have.
    But they will still make more money than they did on the Blackberry or Windows Mobile version. So its far from a waste of time.

Not sure who set the limitation, Apple or AT&T. There are other video streaming apps that do work over 3g (orb).
    Seriously...what use is Sling if you have to be within wifi range. What does that leave you with as far as usage? You can sit at Starbucks or the Airport, or some restaurants to leach off their wireless and watch TV. Truthfully, I guess the Airport would be the only place to use Sling because....most people aren't alone when they are at a restaurant, so it would be rude to sit their and watch TV instead of being social. Go to your buddies house and use Wifi there to watch....uh...why? Watch it at your own home ... uhm... unless you like sitting in your yard instead of your living room to watch Tv, that's utterly pointless.

Anyhow, my point is the obvious, if you can't use 3G for it, then what's the point? Beating a dead horse here...but I figured I'd spell it out for the ones that don't get that what Apple did here is.... pretty retarded.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I don't think we have to worry about Sprint restricting bandwidth in the near future. They have so much extra capacity in their network they have been selling/leasing it to smaller carriers.
  10.    #10  
    The point is, if you have companies giving approval, you'll have this problem. Sprint, if given the choice, probably wouldn't want this either.

In the past, they didn't get a choice (let's hope this still applies). People installed what they wanted.

Apple's biggest CON (in the pro/con section) is that you can't install what you want. Both Apple and their carrier have complete control of what you can put on that phone or what goes in their store.

This still remains one of my big concerns with Palm. We know they will approve apps in their store..which only invites input from Sprint (not good). We don't know how sideloading is handled yet..if they'll have to sign (approve) apps. Or at least i haven't heard about it.
    I'm already mad because I really want the Palm Pre but I use sling player allot on my Treo Pro and this is going to be a problem
  12.    #12  
    Personally, i can use a iPod touch and take my cradlepoint wifi with me. So i'm not that bent over it. I'd rather it be the Pre later on...when sling gets a webOS app going.
    IMO, it's Karma. Since Sling decided to screw over it's customers, no one will buy this app at $30 just to use over wifi, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I remember using "Orb" on my old Samsung Blade (A900) on Sprint and man ... I was VERY surprised at how well their 3G network can stream data from my home PC to my phone. I was able to watch TV and a few movies smoothly. I would've never been able to do that on Cingular (now AT&T) network. But who knows - maybe AT&T improved their 3G.
  15.    #15  
    I think Sling relented. They'll allow the older hardware to work, but won't officially support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    I'm already mad because I really want the Palm Pre but I use sling player allot on my Treo Pro and this is going to be a problem
    Why are you mad again? Nothing here says that Sprint or Palm will impose this restriction on the Pre...
    Even if they did relent, barely anyone's going to want to use wifi for Sling this much, therefore Sling App=fail. Plus $30? You know how cheap people get once they get in the App Store, due to all those free-$5 apps.

As for AT&T singling out only iPhone owners when other phones use 3G just fine with Sling, we'll see how well that goes over.

I won't be buying because the entire situation from both parties is shady.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    They've bled so many customers over the course of a year that I'm pretty sure they have excess capacity on their network. Doubtful Sprint would impose such a ridiculous restriction.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    This was an AT&T issue. The iPhone already uses a huge chunk of AT&T's network, sounds like Apple got it through by making it WiFi only (no strain on AT&T's network, and still allows Sling to sell the app). Like many on here have said other smartphones can do it. There was a version of slingplayer for iPhone that worked on AT&T's 3G network and still does .

SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone available in App Store in Wi-Fi only flavor, runs $29.99 : Boy Genius Report
    Jimmie Geddes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast