Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This latest app debacle seems to have set off a firestorm among the iPhone user community. AT&T remains the weak link for the iPhone. If Palm can get Sling to develop an app quickly after launch (since Palm seems so convinced app development is relatively quick for webOS), they could really capitalize and do some significant damage in the market. That would have added bonuses for Sprint. The window is there, hopefully Palm and Sprint find a way to capitalize.
    CDMA/EVDO towers can handle much higher load than a GSM/HSDPA towers. 3-5 times more customers per tower is possible.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Even though CDMA is on its way out, it is a better wireless technology and Sprint is really going to show what their network is made of when the Pre comes out.

I was just in NYC last week and one of my business partners rented a Sprint EVDO rev A data card for the trip. In downtown Manhattan in the middle of the day he was getting 1.5+ mbps down and 600kbps up with no slowdown at all.

CDMA FTW!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    I remember using "Orb" on my old Samsung Blade (A900) on Sprint and man ... I was VERY surprised at how well their 3G network can stream data from my home PC to my phone. I was able to watch TV and a few movies smoothly. I would've never been able to do that on Cingular (now AT&T) network. But who knows - maybe AT&T improved their 3G.
    Nope, it is still terribly slow compared to Sprints blazing EVDO...not even Verizon comes close to Sprint.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Apple could still pull the rug out from under AT&T and go with Verizon for the phone released next time. AT&T better quit with the shenanigans.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Apple could still pull the rug out from under AT&T and go with Verizon for the phone released next time. AT&T better quit with the shenanigans.
    Verizon cripples their devices as well.
    I mean if AT&T keeps reflecting badly back to Apple, Apple won't stand for that. Often when people blame AT&T, they throw some at Apple too.

Of course, Apple causes some of it's own bad rep, but iPhone is automatically linked to Apple and any crap AT&T pulls concerning it often draws in criticism for Apple too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    If Palm can get Sling to develop an app quickly after launch (since Palm seems so convinced app development is relatively quick for webOS), they could really capitalize and do some significant damage in the market.
    If you know anything about Sling, you know they don't do anything quickly.
    I mean if AT&T keeps reflecting badly back to Apple, Apple won't stand for that. Often when people blame AT&T, they throw some at Apple too.

Of course, Apple causes some of it's own bad rep, but iPhone is automatically linked to Apple and any crap AT&T pulls concerning it often draws in criticism for Apple too.

In all honesty the problem is two fold. Apple's draconian controls on the app approval is the cause as if they didn't have such a strict system in place there wouldn't be ridiculous denials. They could tell AT&T to **** off and if they don't like it they can take the Iphone to Sprint or Verizon.

AT&T is using the system Apple created to obviously limit bandwidth used. As an Iphone user I know why. The 3g data in many areas is over sold and under delivers on performance in a big way. One of the big reasons I am looking to jump ship.
    From what I've read, AT&T has an exclusive until next May / June (2010). Verizon won't bail out Apple before then.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    BTW, overseas people are NOT happy. 3G over there works just fine, so AT&T is screwing over people who aren't even on them. Although I still question why other phones work just fine on AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    From what I've read, AT&T has an exclusive until next May / June (2010). Verizon won't bail out Apple before then.
    Which means the 3rd gen is possibly the LAST iPhone for AT&T. Meaning Apple could indeed go to Verizon for the next iPhone and tell AT&T to screw it after this.

This is why side loading of apps is so important for smart phones. I can see AT&T being concerned about their network and finally being in a position to limit its use, but AT&T is really just killing their image. They claim to have the fastest 3G network and charge a premium for it, but if they are seen as overly restrictive of what people do with it, they will face problems. The iPhone is a great draw for their network, but hardware goodwill only goes so far.
    Which means the 3rd gen is possibly the LAST iPhone for AT&T. Meaning Apple could indeed go to Verizon for the next iPhone and tell AT&T to screw it after this.
    Yes,possibly, but a year from now will be too late in terms of solving the customer disatisfaction issues Apple has to deal with because of AT&T, and the Pre will have had an entire year to make in-roads. If Apple could start selling the phone on Verizon today the impact would be far different.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Well despite all the complaining, the iPhone itself is still selling well. People seem to like the phone itself, but not the network or either companies' practices.

But if the network keeps doing things to **** people off, then we could start seeing a decline in iPhone sales. I think Apple would do something about that, even if they have to cut the contract short and pay off AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Verizon cripples their devices as well.
    Oh god yes, all of their phones have that crappy interface and every hardware feature disabled.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

LOL classic AT&T BS!

It was things like this that made me leave AT&T, people say they have changed, but I have yet to see it.

So AT&T just released a statement putting down their own network. Also, they ignore the millions of other smartphones running on their network that can sling over 3G. Priceless.
    AT&T's network really is weak. I was able to get out my ETF with them last fall because they misrepresented their network coverage in my area. After 2 weeks of documented evidence (shared in near real time with the FCC), they seemed happy to let me go.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    So AT&T just released a statement putting down their own network. Also, they ignore the millions of other smartphones running on their network that can sling over 3G. Priceless.
    Problem for them is they can't control what you put on a WM or Blackberry device, the closed architecture of the iPhone means they can force the restriction and make it stick.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast