1.    #1  
    Palm recently filed a patent application for a call priority system. Basically, it lets you prioritize your contact list. By allowing you to set a priority for each person in your contact list, and setting the priority threshold for each appointment in your calendar, Palm will allow you to filter out non-priority calls. So while a call from your boss or wife will make it through when you're in a meeting, other calls would be filtered out. More about the patent application here: Palm: What’s Your Call Priority? Patentseed

Anyone seen if this feature is in the Palm Pre?
    Last edited by denik; 05/12/2009 at 04:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I would love that!
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    That's awesome!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    this would be a great feature!
    That would be an excellent feature... to have on the Pre
    Perhaps this is part of the reason for being so cloak-and-dagger. They need time to get their new tech protected.
    Avigo > PalmIII > PalmIIIEX > Visor > Prism > Prism w/Data module > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Pre
    Curious if they will be allowed to patent this since Tmobile has something like this already. You can set your phone at certain times to only ring if a specified person is calling.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Curious if they will be allowed to patent this since Tmobile has something like this already. You can set your phone at certain times to only ring if a specified person is calling.
    Blackberry has something similar as well, but Palm's integrating of it and making it based on Calendar appointments is what the patent is about. Many phones have a feature that lets your screen calls, but not automatically. You have to change profiles usually.

Can I haz Pre now????
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Maybe it will know via GPS whether you are in bed and screen your calls or if you are in the meeting room or at the local theater watching a movie. I mean, the Pre is so smart that it should know not to bother you when you are in bed.
    I hope it can screen my calls when I am in a bad mood. Or screen calls for only good news? Or stuff that doen't waste time.

Like my post.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    This is a cool feature, but it would take a little user work to teach the Pre what to do when. Both meetings and people would have to be prioritized.

Edit: it would be very cool if the Pre could learn this from which calls we take regularly and which we ignore, but that's probably asking too much.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 05/12/2009 at 03:51 PM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    What about private numbers? My ex seem to love to call me private will this stop her?
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    What about private numbers? My ex seem to love to call me private will this stop her?
    One would hope that if this feature is on the Pre that it would automatically ignore everyone that isn't prioritized, numbers it doesn't recognize, and any with callerid blocked (at the right time).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Pretty cool concept. I probably wouldn't get much use out of it but damn it is an awesome idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Blackberry has something similar as well, but Palm's integrating of it and making it based on Calendar appointments is what the patent is about. Many phones have a feature that lets your screen calls, but not automatically. You have to change profiles usually.

Can I haz Pre now????
    There's prior art at implementing things with appointments (see "Profiles"). And prior art at limiting incoming calls based on the caller. Is combining the two worthy of a patent? I don't think it meets the "non-obvious" test. But these days, the PTO seems to grant almost everything and rely on patent attorneys and lawsuits to do their job for them.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  15.    #15  
    Regardless of whether it's patentable or not, I hope Palm releases the feature w/ the Pre. The key is to make it quick and easy to configure, which I think they can do.
    I hope this means we're that much closer to them also providing a 'CallBlock' feature
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    While there are already Call filters depending on callers for other platforms, I like the idea of being able to set call priorities for calendar events - don't think anyone has done that before.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    This is probably what Roger was hinting at that the Pre will do things automatically for you instead of you having to tell it.
    It would be nice, but not really a top priority for me. It's not hard to either ignore or dismiss a call.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard