Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So, the list of smartphone operating systems that webOS has very little if no chance of overtaking:

1) Windows Mobile
    2) Blackberry
    3) iPhone OS
    4) Symbian

Is there really room for #5 long term? Maybe that's why they will say to hold off buying the Pre.
    If Microsoft believed that the Pre posed no threat, why would they have to directly communicate with their users to "hold off" buying one?

Think about it...before Apple got in the game, what were the chances of a rookie company overtaking the big boys with ONE phone? All it takes is the right product for the right market.
    There is plenty of room in the market. You could've said the same thing about the iPhone OS.....but they proved that all wrong
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Is there really room for #5 long term?
    Yes as there are plenty of people with normal phones who will be upgrading to a smartphone. Palm don't need to sell more devices than Apple, RIM, etc for the Pre to be a sucess.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I am seeing different number, that say XBox is in the lead: Microsoft: Xbox 360 widens lead over PlayStation 3 | Technology | Los Angeles Times
    WoW
    read the article

Microsoft said today that it had sold more than 28 million Xbox 360s since introducing the game console in November 2005. That compares with more than 20 million PlayStation 3 consoles sold by Sony since it debuted the device in November 2006, according to Microsoft executives. "

Thats about 8 million difference in a year time.

Plus the hollywood going to Bluray standard is now pushing the PS3.
    OK, if you consider these phones to be the Pre's competition, then the Pre's current specs would appear very underwhelming. This is disheartening if Palm doesn't abandon their habit of excruciatingly minor incremental hardware upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Right. So, Apple is comming out with a 600mhz 32GB, 3.2mp, compass, FM radio, and a new software patch. Samsung has a 5mp, compass, expandable memory Andriod Cupcake phone. Nokia has its 5mp, onboard and expandable memory, uber symbian phone. And finally, Zune mystery phone I am sure will be loaded too.

So what? I am getting the Pre. Why? It has a really great looking OS, in a really great form factor, with really great specs - and - it is the ultimate underdog comeback story for both Palm and Sprint, both of whom have a really deep history in their fields.

So, bring on the competition, and I can't wait for next years models!
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    I'd be buying a Pre if it comes out in May, but the push to June 7th may end up causing me not to buy it at all with this zune news.

I leave to Europe on the 9th for two weeks, so no sense in scrambling to get a Pre 2 days before (had it come out on the 17th of may id have time to play with it and could justify it).
    I love my zune, and if the rumors about the specs of the new zune are true (Tegra chipset, HDMI, OLED), and it comes out on Sprint, I would likely get it over the Pre.

As neat as WebOS is, the raw horse power and cool factor of the tegra chipset and HD out is even more tempting to me.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'd rather own a phone by a company that's got a real stake in improving it or what not. That's not Microsoft. Like Mobileman says, they seem uninterested other than doing enough updates to keep licensing WM. And one of the reasons why i don't care for Android.

Apple, RIM, Palm..these guys produce the hardware and software.
    well said ,
    For Google and Microsoft mobile is one of "THE WAYS" to make money, not the "ONLY WAY" . For PALM and RIMM its the "ONLY WAY" to make money.
    For APPLE it is "THE MOST IMPORTANT" way to make money.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I don't think MS is really seriously concerned with being number 1 in video games or mobile phones or media players. I think their primary goal is to become pervasive.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I understand that is the way it sits today, but if Microsoft decided tomorrow that they want to be #1 in the mobile phone business, there is nobody that is going to get in their way, and if they do, they will be trampled upon.
    Just like the Zune trampled Apple?

What makes you think Microsoft hasn't wanted to be #1 all along? Microsoft doesn't get into any business to be number 2. The current Winmob OS is the best MS knows how to make, it would appear, unless you're suggesting they deliberately aren't selling their best technology, which seems hard to believe. Other companies have skinned the OS to try to make it simpler, but MS chugs along with an interface that was designed in the '80s and '90s for a large screen, keyboard and mouse.

Yes, there are lots of people using Winmob phones, but in spite of MS' best efforts they haven't driven anyone from the market, not even the tired old P-OS. And the reason they won't trample everyone else is that everything has to be tied to Windows, and Windows just isn't really a very good platform or interface for phones. It's complexity will keep it from the kind of success Apple had with a feature limited, but supremely easy to use, iPhone, and BB has had with the somewhat limited, but still simple (compared to WinMob) devices.

Unless MS finally recognizes the problem, and introduces a whole new paradigm to the phone interface, like Palm is doing. But see that as unlikely. Windows is too deeply ingrained in their genetic code.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    OK, if you consider these phones to be the Pre's competition, then the Pre's current specs would appear very underwhelming. This is disheartening if Palm doesn't abandon their habit of excruciatingly minor incremental hardware upgrades.
    That "nokia phone" he refers to (I'm guessing the N97?) isn't competition for any US smartphone as it won't be sold with a carrier subsidy, and is already catching hell for being underpowered, processor-wise. Plus...Symbian vs. the modern apps of WebOS and OSX mobile? No contest.

The iPhone specs are misleading being that we don't know what the next iPhone will be clocked at, and otherwise it's pretty much equivalent with the Pre except for onboard memory. The "Zune mystery phone" is just that...a mystery. And a "loaded" Android phone will sell about as well as the G1 did since it'll still be on T-Mobile.

All in all, the Pre is positioned just dandy for now and the near future. But we already know Palm has multiple WebOS devices in the pipeline for different form factors. Hardly "incremental".
    So, the list of smartphone operating systems that webOS has very little if no chance of overtaking:

1) Windows Mobile
    2) Blackberry
    3) iPhone OS
    4) Symbian

Is there really room for #5 long term? Maybe that's why they will say to hold off buying the Pre.

I'd ask if there's room for Symbian in the U.S. I don't think I know anyone who has one, either for business or personal use. I see far more P-OS Treos than I do Nokia smart phones. Heck, I hardly see any Nokia feature phones any more.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And Apple has a soul?
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    All in all, the Pre is positioned just dandy for now and the near future. But we already know Palm has multiple WebOS devices in the pipeline for different form factors. Hardly "incremental".
    1. We'll have to disagree on the Pre's positition vis a vis specs and their competition now and in the "near" (foreseeable) future.
    2. Exactly what are the specs for the WebOS devices in the pipeline?

ps Mikah, I plegde to be civil and I know you will reciprocate
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Unless MS finally recognizes the problem, and introduces a whole new paradigm to the phone interface, like Palm is doing. But see that as unlikely. Windows is too deeply ingrained in their genetic code.
    Well, the Xbox 360 has an outstanding interface and user experience, as does the Zune itself, and so Microsoft has demonstrated that it can create compelling and competitive operating systems. It has a hard time with first editions, which is why the Zune isn't more competitive (if Microsoft had led with the current Zune ecosystem, their market share would be many times what it is). But, still, that shows that they're entirely capable of divorcing themselves from Windows.

However, after my Windows Mobile experiences, and albeit I use Microsoft products extensively (including running Win 7 on my MacBook Pro), I simply will not reward them with another phone-related dollar. I don't care if a new Microsoft phone OS slices my bread for me and walks my dog, I'll be getting a Pre.
    See as a gadget lover, this is one reason having more than one line/phone on your account is awesome I was thinking of doing a Pre/Pro combo, but the reviews on the Pro I've seen weren't that good - so I'm considering 2 Pres on my acct. So now I just buy one and see what else these other big guys have to offer for my 2nd phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    WoW
    read the article

Microsoft said today that it had sold more than 28 million Xbox 360s since introducing the game console in November 2005. That compares with more than 20 million PlayStation 3 consoles sold by Sony since it debuted the device in November 2006, according to Microsoft executives. "

Thats about 8 million difference in a year time.

Plus the hollywood going to Bluray standard is now pushing the PS3.
    Um o rly?

Check NPD data for the past year. THe 360 (In america) has been consistantly outselling the ps3 month after month.

The Ps3 can not catch up in its current state.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    1. We'll have to disagree on the Pre's positition vis a vis specs and their competition now and in the "near" (foreseeable) future.
    2. Exactly what are the specs for the WebOS devices in the pipeline?

ps Mikah, I plegde to be civil and I know you will reciprocate
    \

Yeah, it's all good. No grudges held by me. What's past is past.

Aside from the EOS, no one knows "exactly" what the specs are for future WebOS devices. The EOS being "underpowered" only makes sense as it's positioned as a Centro replacement. Beyond that, I expect Palm to match and surpass the competition, specswise.

I mean, how many capacitive touch screen CDMA phones are there? 1? 2? And on Sprint? Zero. That's a HUGE advantage right there against the other smartphone touchscreens on the market. Have you ever tried using Symbian OS on a resistive touchscreen (I got to play with an Xpress 5800 for 5-10 minutes. A nightmare.)? Or the Blackberry Storm touchscreen?

Not having 5 megapixels is no big deal at the moment. Few smartphones do. The only significant differentiator going forth will be the onboard storage compared w/ iPhone, and since the 32GB iPhone will be at least $100 more and will cost more monthly with missing features (no free turn-by-turn GPS), the Pre is still well positioned against it.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Too bad neither is the market leader.
    You really don't have an argument here buddy. You said Microsoft wasn't able to come in to a market and knock out the market leader... well they did just that with Xbox 360 vs. the PS3. They've sold 10 million more units than Sony. So please, take ur MS bashing elsewhere... Wii as stated by the user above, is in a different class, it's a "casual console" not considered by serious gamers.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    You really don't have an argument here buddy. You said Microsoft wasn't able to come in to a market and knock out the market leader... well they did just that with Xbox 360 vs. the PS3. They've sold 10 million more units than Sony. So please, take ur MS bashing elsewhere... Wii as stated by the user above, is in a different class, it's a "casual console" not considered by serious gamers.
    Again, Microsoft did not "knock out" Sony. Sony knocked themselves out (e.g. priced way too high, no Emotion engine, late to market, Sony refusing to pay for exclusives, and so on and so on.). Microsoft "won" by default and in spite of their own issues (e.g. RROD).

No offense intended, but please construct a more serious counter-argument next time.

EDIT: Some reading for you to let you know how Xbox 360 is "knocking out" PS3 currently...

http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/10/26/a...-install-base/

http://www.redherring.com/Home/25370

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/ps3-and-360-sales-equal-in-2008-$1264624.htm
    Last edited by mikah912; 05/12/2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ^ I think you are trying to convince yourself of your own fallacy, and not me.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast