Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kamizuno View Post
    Seriously, I always wondered how much money MS could give to every american, that would be an interesting statistic to know
    Market capitalization has nothing to do with how much cash a company has on hand.

That said, as of October 2008 (quickest numbers I could find), Microsoft had $20.7 billion cash-on-hand, while Apple had $24.5 billion.

That's $68/person for Microsoft, and $80/person from Apple.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But people thought the Xbox would do it to the Playstation 2. It didn't.
    The Xbox 360 couldn't overcome the Wii.
    The Zune couldn't touch the iPod.
    1) Xbox started late compared to PS2 (and PS2 was a 2nd gen console in that franchise), but it finished strong with 24 million units sold.

2) Xbox 360 has sold 30 million units compared to Wii's 50 million and PS3's 20 million. How is that any bad? The Wii is a lot cheaper than the 360...

3) Just the way MS did with the Xbox franchise, it's doing it with the Zune. It's OK for them to lose money as long as they create a niche for their product with version 1. I am sure MS has some good stuff up their sleeve for next month...

Competition is always good.
    And yet for all of that money, they're consistently finishing behind "lesser" competitors in consumer electronics.

You said earlier "Don't forget that Microsoft has the financial resources to knock any phone out of first place."

It takes more than money to enter an established field and take the most marketshare. You gotta have a compelling product, and since Microsoft hasn't shown a compelling phone OS for consumers yet, it's hard to believe that they've not only licked that problem but got the hardware perfect as well.
    I am seeing different number, that say XBox is in the lead: Microsoft: Xbox 360 widens lead over PlayStation 3 | Technology | Los Angeles Times
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    1) ...3) Just the way MS did with the Xbox franchise, it's doing it with the Zune. It's OK for them to lose money as long as they create a niche for their product with version 1. I am sure MS has some good stuff up their sleeve for next month...

I agree!

3) Just the way MS did with the Xbox franchise, it's doing it with the Zune. It's OK for them to lose money as long as they create a niche for their product with version 1. I am sure MS has some good stuff up their sleeve for next month...
    They'll be up to version 3 though.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    MegaSoft has so little credibility.

Does anyone take their announcements seriously?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Actually, no. The BB Curve has outsold all Winmob phones.
    Only in the U.S. Globally its a different story. I still greatly dislike Windows Mobile. Microsoft seems totally uninterested in it at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    They ARE a big boy, LOL!

However the Zune keeps getting cast as a loser, but it's actually a very good device. But it's also not a phone, so I don't get why they'd want us to hold off. Maybe from getting a new Touch, which is also rumored, but why an iPhone and/or Pre? Unless they're releasing a Zune Phone?
    That would sure muddle the waters!

What if Dell enters the Fray soon with their "Android" Device?

And I saw that Viewsonic is going to release a "smartphone" too

ViewSonic throws caution to the wind, plans own 3G smartphone

Thanks to Engadget

I Really Think the the "Phone Diva" (will have too many phones for sure) I had to add that hehe!
    I'd rather own a phone by a company that's got a real stake in improving it or what not. That's not Microsoft. Like Mobileman says, they seem uninterested other than doing enough updates to keep licensing WM. And one of the reasons why i don't care for Android.

Apple, RIM, Palm..these guys produce the hardware and software.
    And yet for all of that money, they're consistently finishing behind "lesser" competitors in consumer electronics.

You said earlier "Don't forget that Microsoft has the financial resources to knock any phone out of first place."

It takes more than money to enter an established field and take the most marketshare. You gotta have a compelling product, and since Microsoft hasn't shown a compelling phone OS for consumers yet, it's hard to believe that they've not only licked that problem but got the hardware perfect as well.
    Let us take a look at the big picture here.
    All of Microsoft's consumer products have always taken a back seat to its business products. Windows home versions are really there because thats what folks use at work. The Xbox and Zune are really just sort of Halo (no pun intended) products to help show that microsoft can do it too. After all is said and done, MS cares about business. Microsoft doesn't care that consumers are happy, they care if businesses are happy. And businesses show over and over again that they are happy. Windows Mobile might not be the top corporate OS, but it still makes more money than most of the lesser OS combined. And WM will always make sense to microsoft if there is a business need for it. If MS really wanted to blow away the consumer markets, best believe they could. But whats the point? They have a prescence and are competitive. Why spend the extra energy only to have other companies lodge anti-trust claims in their direction.

that being said, I have a zune and absolutely love it. I am not sure what MS has up their sleeve, but I will sure keep it on my radar when it is time for me to upgrade. I doubt it will be as nice as the Pre...but I also thought the Zune would never be as nice as other products on the market.....you never know.....
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    MegaSoft has so little credibility.

Does anyone take their announcements seriously?
    Who's Megasoft?

Right. So, Apple is comming out with a 600mhz 32GB, 3.2mp, compass, FM radio, and a new software patch. Samsung has a 5mp, compass, expandable memory Andriod Cupcake phone. Nokia has its 5mp, onboard and expandable memory, uber symbian phone. And finally, Zune mystery phone I am sure will be loaded too.

So what? I am getting the Pre. Why? It has a really great looking OS, in a really great form factor, with really great specs - and - it is the ultimate underdog comeback story for both Palm and Sprint, both of whom have a really deep history in their fields.

So, bring on the competition, and I can't wait for next years models!
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    "June 2009 will be an important month for Zune lovers"
    There are Zune lovers?

I kid I kid

Palm fan[boy]s may dislike WM... but the OS has a pretty strong casual user following as well as a solid presence in corporate environments. In fact without evening looking at the numbers, I would say WM phones are a lot more popular than Palm OS phones... wait, even Palm makes WinMo phones!
    Hard to do that comparison really though. WinMo is at a more updated newer OS than the POS has been for some time. Additionally, you'll notice that the most popular WinMo devices are generally ones where other 3rd parties have tried their hardest to HIDE windows Mobile (Omnia's interface, TouchFlo, etc).

WebOS isn't going to overtake WinMo but that's likely for no other reason than WinMo is on sooo many phones on sooo many networks and not because its a "betteR" OS.

WinMo phones are loved by the uber geeky for the reason that they're incredibly customizable. The funny thing is, they HAVE to be amazingly customizable because they're generally horrible out of the box and this is coming from a person that is a 10+ year WinCE/PPC/WinMo user.

To the rest of people, it was essentially a blackberry vs WinMo race for the "smart phone" crowd as iPhone and Android were regulated to singular networks and the POS was beginning to literally mummify.

For now, WebOS is more battling with the other proprietary smart phones like Android and the iPhone I think than the multi-phone, multi-service OS's like WinMo and BB imho.

[QUOTE=mikah912;1599438]But people thought the Xbox would do it to the Playstation 2. It didn't.
    Granted, the PS2 had a HUGE head start on the Xbox and while the Xbox did not overtake it it took a nice chunk out of it by the end of both things life span.

The 360 an the Wii are going at ENITRELY different markets. The 360 and PS3 are both generally geared more primarily to your "traditional" gaming market, your late teen to 20/30 year olds, etc. The Wii focuses more broad, going for young kids, older people, and non-traditional gamers. Its also was significantly cheaper than the 360 for much of its life span. The 360 is better compared to the PS3, which while out a year sooner and cheaper, is trouncing it to the point many have speculated how much longer the PS3 actually stays afloat.

I agree with you that MS can't just take money and throw it at something and it will naturally win out. There was a large mix of things that happened to cause the Xbox's rise and it wasn't just money.
    1) Xbox started late compared to PS2 (and PS2 was a 2nd gen console in that franchise), but it finished strong with 24 million units sold.
    Nobody said Microsoft wasn't making a "strong showing." Only that it can't simply "knock a product out of first place" with its immense money and influence alone.

2) Xbox 360 has sold 30 million units compared to Wii's 50 million and PS3's 20 million. How is that any bad? The Wii is a lot cheaper than the 360...
    See above.

I love competition, but in none of these cases was Microsoft able to come into an established market and knock off the marketshare leader.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    There was a link here somewhere about a Zune Phone. I found this: Rumor: Zune Phone Is Coming to CES 2009 | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Don't forget that Microsoft has the financial resources to knock any phone out of first place.
    We won't forget that , but we have to wait for our grand children to see that happen
    I am seeing different number, that say XBox is in the lead: Microsoft: Xbox 360 widens lead over PlayStation 3 | Technology | Los Angeles Times
    Too bad neither is the market leader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The 360 an the Wii are going at ENITRELY different markets. The 360 and PS3 are both generally geared more primarily to your "traditional" gaming market, your late teen to 20/30 year olds, etc. The Wii focuses more broad, going for young kids, older people, and non-traditional gamers. Its also was significantly cheaper than the 360 for much of its life span. The 360 is better compared to the PS3, which while out a year sooner and cheaper, is trouncing it to the point many have speculated how much longer the PS3 actually stays afloat.

I agree with you that MS can't just take money and throw it at something and it will naturally win out. There was a large mix of things that happened to cause the Xbox's rise and it wasn't just money.
    I agree with this mostly, but the PS3's "failure" is mostly due to Sony's mistakes, not Microsoft's ascendance.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I understand that is the way it sits today, but if Microsoft decided tomorrow that they want to be #1 in the mobile phone business, there is nobody that is going to get in their way, and if they do, they will be trampled upon.
    Like in 1995 , they thought they wanted to enter the Mobile computing !!!!,
    Like in 2000s , where they wanted to enter gaming , music players ....and such.

Wakeup, all Microsoft has is that Windows thing, Exchange email and the office 2007. The rest are moderately successful efforts.
    yea right...Pre for me!!!
    1,000,000 * 304,059,724 = $304,059,724,000,000

No, they couldnt.

I think the point is Microsoft could give everyone in the United States a million dollars today and still be the wealthiest corporation in the world tomorrow.
    Throwing money at the issue wont help their corporate culture, lack of experience in mobile hardware design, (seeming) inability to make an OS usable by a human, etc etc etc.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast