Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Quote:

It has been reported that Palm are considering capping the number of initial Palm Pre production units to just 375,000. If it turns out to be true, you should be thinking of where you are going to set up camp near release date.

End Quote

Palm Pre Release News: 375000 units rumored for launch‎ : Product Reviews Net
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Quote:

It has been reported that Palm are considering capping the number of initial Palm Pre production units to just 375,000. If it turns out to be true, you should be thinking of where you are going to set up camp near release date.

End Quote

No need to set up camp. I am on a waiting list at my local Sprint store. I am #6 on that list.
    Set up camp? How about I just wait for the 2nd batch? LOL!

Sitting in line for a phone isn't my thing. That goes for the other one too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's probably true. One source from the OEM factory, who has been correct to point out the factory shipping schedule, points out that the manufacturing department was having a hard time speeding up their assembly line and is currently producing at a speed of 150K units per month. (Hopefully the production will pick up soon, from the same source)

If the Pre is to be released on June 7th, Palm will probably have no more than 400K units handy.

I know an account with 0 previous post and non-native English is equal to 0 credibility. If you guys need more information, I can try to translate the first hand factory report from the "source", who speaks, as you guys can easily guess, Chinese.
    Okay, there's a huge difference between Palm intentionally capping their production (which is ridiculous) and Palm not being able to make more than that.

Palm had barely any funding until very recently when Elevation sold some of their stock or something like that, and it'd not like that helped all that much either. Combine that with technologies that are still pretty new, and of course there will be a limited production. They're pumping them out as fast as they can, but that still doesn't mean they can just somehow have millions of units ready.
    I'm hoping that Premier customers will get first crack, and I can't imagine there are more than 400K Premier customers waiting for the Pre.
    I think the combined "concerns" of the group of folks here is entertaining.

We're concerned that we're not advertising enough for some phones that are "only" going to have an available supply of 375,000 for the first day, and we're then worried about whether or not people will want them bad enough to sell a million in a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think the combined "concerns" of the group of folks here is entertaining.

We're concerned that we're not advertising enough for some phones that are "only" going to have an available supply of 375,000 for the first day, and we're then worried about whether or not people will want them bad enough to sell a million in a month.
    Well, now you're just getting all logical and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Quote:

End Quote

camping out for a phone?

When I see messages like this I think Sprint should charge $100 for the privilege to stand in line. It's easy money.

They should stamp the production # on the first 10000, make them a shade darker, and charge an extra $200 for the special first edition Pre's.

Anyone who gets a "bonus reset" feature because they had to have the first Pre's with firmware rev .000001A should pay $50 for that privilege too!

Fanbois Unite!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Okay, there's a huge difference between Palm intentionally capping their production (which is ridiculous) and Palm not being able to make more than that.

Palm had barely any funding until very recently when Elevation sold some of their stock or something like that, and it'd not like that helped all that much either. Combine that with technologies that are still pretty new, and of course there will be a limited production. They're pumping them out as fast as they can, but that still doesn't mean they can just somehow have millions of units ready.
    Ok The story I reconstruct from another source is basically like this:

After several delays, Palm was able to produce several alpha devices in Dec. But because it made too much use of the cutting-edge technology, the mass production was once again delayed for almost one quarter and the release date was pushed far back from Mar/Apr to June.

A person related to this issue tipped in Dec (before the CES) with the production schedule and the information on the phone itself, which was proved to be accurate. So I grant credibility to him.

Basically, one sentence, because Palm was so concentrated in "cutting edge", those people might have no time in "cutting loss" and "cutting delay". I have waited for almost half a year for exactly this phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post
    camping out for a phone?

When I see messages like this I think Sprint should charge $100 for the privilege to stand in line. It's easy money.

They should stamp the production # on the first 10000, make them a shade darker, and charge an extra $200 for the special first edition Pre's.

Anyone who gets a "bonus reset" feature because they had to have the first Pre's with firmware rev .000001A should pay $50 for that privilege too!

Fanbois Unite!
    Fabulous Idea!
    I plan to call telesales to get my Pre. If I call my local sprint store and they happen to have enough in stock then I will go get it there, but I'm not waiting in line to get it, because by the time it's my turn, they will probably be all out.
    Blackberry Storm only shipped 400,000 units.. with each store only getting 5 to 30 phones... the rest were done online... till the Northeast System crashed around 1pm.. then next batch came 15+ days later.. so if you ordered after 1pm.. you got your laggy, prone to crashes phone 15 to 20 days later.
    I'm not so sure that's not enough to cover the initial demand.
    Last edited by mobileman; 05/11/2009 at 05:41 PM.
    I am on waiting lists at a couple places but if I don't get it at launch it is alright. I have a Centro that runs perfectly .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLI NR70v>CLI TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I'm on a waiting list at a Sprint kiosk in my area. Either that, EVP sales on the internet.
    I don't think this is too much of an issue... I mean how many sprint stores are there? I few thousand? Even if there are 10k stores and kiosks, each would get like 37 units... and I really doubt there are that many stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Blackberry Storm only shipped 400,000 units.. with each store only getting 5 to 30 phones... the rest were done online... till the Northeast System crashed around 1pm.. then next batch came 15+ days later.. so if you ordered after 1pm.. you got your laggy, prone to crashes phone 15 to 20 days later.
    I was one of them that ordered after 1pm and got it a little later. Went back in 15 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm hoping that Premier customers will get first crack, and I can't imagine there are more than 400K Premier customers waiting for the Pre.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...er-mailer.html
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    I don't think this is too much of an issue... I mean how many sprint stores are there? I few thousand? Even if there are 10k stores and kiosks, each would get like 37 units... and I really doubt there are that many stores.
    What about Best Buy's, Telesales, 3rd party resellers, etc.
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast