Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    are you sure they'll have another shot if they blow this one? cash is burning and cash is finite.
    No, as a matter of fact, I'm just about sure of the opposite. That if they "blow this one", they won't have another shot.

However, I don't think having 8gb is going to "blow this one". I'm disappointed in having no expansion slot, but I'm buying it. Apparently, there are those that are disappointed in the memory capabilities, and are buying it.

If they have a good run with this one in spite of limitations and disappointments, they will have their "next shot."

On the other hand, if the machine had cost too much to deliver, or had had too many changes to deliver on time, then it might not have been a success.

Much is yet to be seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i remember a few years ago when people were proclaiming that the "PC is dead" and everyone would use a dumb terminal. "The Network is the Computer". how did that work out for Sun?
    This just shows how foolish it is to try to predict market forces.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I love how everyone is assuming we'll be able to stream video and music from cloud when I don't recall ever reading anything about storage or capabilities like that. The only info I've seen on it is automatically pulling contacts, calendars and emails.

So unless you have some documentation on a HUGE feature that somehow flew under everyone radar and we are all going to get 10gb of cloud storage which we can stream any files we want with this nifty file browser and all that please stop the mindless banter about something that is most likely impossible.
    It is possible now with devices like pogoplug.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post

So unless you have some documentation on a HUGE feature that somehow flew under everyone radar and we are all going to get 10gb of cloud storage which we can stream any files we want with this nifty file browser and all that please stop the mindless banter about something that is most likely impossible.
    "most likely impossible"??? Want to make a bet on that one?
    You name the amount, I'll call it six months. Be prepared to lose.
    Warning - I do IT for a living.
    So with this big announcement to release on 6 June in 4 different sales locations... is the rumored 375k or even the announced 400k enough units to cover all these locations for a truly successful launch.... an even distribution could possibly only put 4 units in each location.....
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    Sis the rumored 375k or even the announced 400k enough units to cover all these locations for a truly successful launch
    I'll bet Palm and Sprint are hoping it's not enough. If it turns out to be more than enough ... Yikes!
    Last edited by Kupe; 05/19/2009 at 10:43 AM.
    Found this over at Phonedog.

Pre Production Problem: Only 30,000 units to be available at launch? | PhoneDog.com

Hope it's not true....or a repost.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Doesn't mention the 30000 though, only talks about that Hesse said it will be tight, but not how tight!
    Oh it was you that posted it in there.... Doh!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    No one responded to it....so...naturally...separate post time! lol
    Could be why they are warning about shortages.
    I remember the rumor of 375000 phones at launch, but only 30000? That's rediculous! Those will be gone by 9 am!
  14. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Seems to be an unrealistically low number indeed. It was interesting, though, that today in cnet's Buzz Out Loud 977: You can't point north on ecstasy | Buzz Out Loud Blog - CNET Blogs, Natali Del Conte said that when she was last briefed by Palm, she was told a May 14 launch date. Maybe that points to production issues?
    Per jkOnTheRun. Here's the link.
    I went to the Sprint Store Locator and found out some good information. I started out by checking stores in my immediate area and eventually spread the search out to a 50-mile radius of my home. That search showed me a couple of things that folks should be aware of. First, the Sprint partner stores are not selling the Pre on launch day. That’s not surprising but be aware, because I know some of these partners look just like real Sprint stores but they’re not. The Store Locator will show you which of the stores near you are the real thing.

The second thing I discovered was that not all Sprint stores will be carrying the Pre. Most of them are selling the Pre on opening day but a few I found were not, so make sure you check. The Locator shows specifically if a store will be selling it or not and confirms the special hours on launch day:

Sprint Pre Store hours

If this doesn’t show up in the pop-up box for the store you are checking then that store is not selling the Pre. You don’t want to waste your time on launch day on stores that don’t show to be selling it. I was doing this checking while chatting with Kevin and he checked his immediate area only to find that no Sprint stores near him would be selling the Pre. That fits with the thought that only major market areas would have the Pre on hand for sales as Kevin is way out in the boondocks. It is only logical to think that if Sprint stores in a given area are not going to sell the Pre then third-party retailers in that area likely wouldn’t get any either, but that’s just speculation on my part.
    Holy Schnikes! If this is true, NO STORES WITHIN 50 MILES OF ME WILL BE SELLING THE PRE ON LAUNCH DAY!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Sprint Pre Store Hours have been removed from the Store Locator...
    I know that it was a bit of a bombshell that Best Buy will only receive about 4 Pre's per store. I was a little dismayed myself. However, for those of you who do not mind mail-in-rebates, I have good news.

I opened the faucet of information about each store being able to choose for itself to have a "Pre" pre launch party, and from those same souls I have the inventory numbers at Sprint corporate stores.

Each store will be allocated at least 30 Pre's, with some receiving as many as ONE HUNDRED. For full disclosure, this is in Utah, but I would imagine that larger markets will be towards the high end of that range, and more rural stores will be around the 30 range.

So far I am batting 1.000 with my informants. I think that they are correct on this one as well.!
    That would explain a lot. Yes there is a shortage for Best Buy stores, which is mostly what we heard about. I don't think too many people were hoping to grab one at Radio Shack....uh...yeah anyways.... Dan Hesse said there will be a shortage, but never referred to the actual Sprint stores getting only a limited number. Looks like Sprint is just carving out a bigger piece of the Pre pie for its own stores which is why Best Buy is getting less, and that's what caused all the panic out there. People thought if Best Buy only gets 4 units the Sprint Stores will get the same low number, but, looks like this is not true, because my friend told me that they are getting between 10 and 30...and while they are preferred partner store, they are pretty small...they do high sales though for their size.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I checked at my local Best Buy and the guy didn't know inventory levels but he did say it will be "Verry few", to get there early and it's 1 per customer. I told him I'm getting a family plan and he said both of us MUST be here to buy that. Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post

Each store will be allocated at least 30 Pre's, with some receiving as many as ONE HUNDRED. .!
    The one store in town here that I deal with said a few weeks ago that they would be getting "at least 30" Pre's so that matches your info. They also said they would know for sure how many they would get on the 27th