Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    So I would need to wait for a movie to load locally, and the old data to be deleted before I can view it? No thanks. It probably would have cost Palm an extra 8 dollars per unit to add another 8 gig.
    Yes, you would have to wait a few seconds to load Music, maybe a few minutes for movies, when you want to swap them out - and only then. I forsee software that will give you a random selection of songs to load overnight, so you will not even have to wait. Movies for a flight? Yse you might have to plan ahead a few minutes. I find that to be a small price to pay for nearly unlimited storage. That makes 32gb seem paltry by comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'd say that this, along with your other objections, means that you're a prime candidate for not getting the new technology, and hanging on to the old...

Personally, I'm anxious to see what happens with the new stuff.
    or I am simply not willing to make excuses for Palm's bad judgment on onboard storage amounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Yes, you would have to wait a few seconds to load Music, maybe a few minutes for movies, when you want to swap them out - and only then. I forsee software that will give you a random selection of songs to load overnight, so you will not even have to wait. Movies for a flight? Yse you might have to plan ahead a few minutes. I find that to be a small price to pay for nearly unlimited storage. That makes 32gb seem paltry by comparison.
    Is this software going to be available day 1? Has it even been invented yet?
    or I am simply not willing to make excuses for Palm's bad judgment on onboard storage amounts.
    I'd say that this, along with your other objections, means that you're not a Palm apologist like many others here.
    no but you can expect it sometime in the first half of 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    I'd say that this, along with your other objections, means that you're not a Palm apologist like many others here.
    I will be getting a Pre (looking foward to it), but this does not mean its the perfect device. That ofcourse doesn't exist.
    Hmmm, don't think I've seen anyone here "make excuses for Palm's bad judgement"... However, there are some of us here that aren't sure yet that it was bad judgement. We'll see.

I will say this though. 8 gb more might have only cost another 8 dollers.

But then, there would have been complaints that another 16 gb would have "only been another $16" and on and on.

Plam made a decision. That the cloud would be the answer. If that was a bad decision, they will have another shot with the next device. I don't begrudge them that.

I DO believe though, that we will see solutiions like we're talking about here. Will they be perfect? Of course not. Nothing in technology ever is.

However, I believe they're coming. Every objection you have (so far) has a solution. Just requires new thinking.
    Of course it's not going to be available "day 1". Most new technology has ramp up time.

But, here's a prediction that I'm pretty comfortable making. There will be enough people that are happy with what it will do "day 1", that the Pre will be successful.

And, those folks will provide an appealing platform for all the Apps and services that aren't available "day 1".
    Hmmm, don't think I've seen anyone here "make excuses for Palm's bad judgement"... However, there are some of us here that aren't sure yet that it was bad judgement. We'll see.

I will say this though. 8 gb more might have only cost another 8 dollers.

But then, there would have been complaints that another 16 gb would have "only been another $16" and on and on.

Plam made a decision. That the cloud would be the answer. If that was a bad decision, they will have another shot with the next device. I don't begrudge them that.

I DO believe though, that we will see solutiions like we're talking about here. Will they be perfect? Of course not. Nothing in technology ever is.

However, I believe they're coming. Every objection you have (so far) has a solution. Just requires new thinking.
    Some people here think adding less memory isn't bad judgement? I question this unblinded loyalty.

I dont think Palm has mentioned anything about "the cloud" being used for any type of media. Maybe I am wrong.

Why include 8 gig then? Why not just 4 gig so they can save even more money?
    Of course it's not going to be available "day 1". Most new technology has ramp up time.

But, here's a prediction that I'm pretty comfortable making. There will be enough people that are happy with what it will do "day 1", that the Pre will be successful.

And, those folks will provide an appealing platform for all the Apps and services that aren't available "day 1".
    I dont think this solution will be available day 500.
    I will be getting a Pre (looking foward to it), but this does not mean its the perfect device. That ofcourse doesn't exist.
    And, of course, never will.

However, I'm confused, if you've already decided to get the device, why are you concerned that the apps you want won't be out day 1? They'll be there.
    And, of course, never will.

However, I'm confused, if you've already decided to get the device, why are you concerned that the apps you want won't be out day 1? They'll be there.
    Just because I want a Pre, doesn't mean I'm not dissapointed in some of the specs. I guess you are 100 percent satisfied.
    Actually, that's technically not true. Most corporations do indeed allow inbound connections to be made to the desktop, if they did not, no one would be able to browse the web.
    huh? Unless you are talking about incoming connections to the corporate websites you don't need to open inbound connections to office desktops to surf the web if you are using a stateful firewall.

If you need to reach your desktop from off site that's what a VPN is for. Now I'm sure there will be a VPN client for the Pre sooner or later so if you want to reach your desktop to stream music, video, etc that's behind a firewall you might be able to use a VPN. It will all depend on what you or your company allows the VPN to connect to.
    Some people here think adding less memory isn't bad judgement? I question this unblinded loyalty.
    You apparently then, didn't read the whole statement. I went on to say If that was a bad decision, they will have another shot with the next device. I don't begrudge them that.

I dont think Palm has mentioned anything about "the cloud" being used for any type of media. Maybe I am wrong.
    I inferred from Palm's description of the OS, and they application they've made of it so far, that Palm envisions the cloud as being used for everything on the device.

Why include 8 gig then? Why not just 4 gig so they can save even more money?
    Or 2, or even 1. I suspect they had to pick a number. My point was that no matter what number they picked, somone could say "but they could have done more", and would have. We will see if 8gb is "enough".
    Quote Originally Posted by xythander View Post
    huh? Unless you are talking about incoming connections to the corporate websites you don't need to open inbound connections to office desktops to surf the web if you are using a stateful firewall.
    Exactly. And a statful firewall allows inbound connections. That was my point.
    Just because I want a Pre, doesn't mean I'm not dissapointed in some of the specs. I guess you are 100 percent satisfied.
    Sigh... and here I thought I was going to agree with one of your statement. You're guess is wrong. I've stated before that I'm disappointed with the memory limitation. I've also remained open-minded enough to say my disappointment might be misplaced...
    Certainly not. But that does not mean it will not happen. Or that limitations in on board memory cannot be corrected. If there is a need it will be done. How about a program that swaps out recorded shows from you DVR ever night to watch on the subway on your morning commute. Enough people want it, I will be built.

But even if it never is, it does not mean you yourself could not swap out your meadia, on you own nom-networked computer via drag and drop when you need a change. Is it ideal? Maybe not for you, but is extremely doable.
    You apparently then, didn't read the whole statement. I went on to say If that was a bad decision, they will have another shot with the next device. I don't begrudge them that.

I inferred from Palm's description of the OS, and they application they've made of it so far, that Palm envisions the cloud as being used for everything on the device.

Or 2, or even 1. I suspect they had to pick a number. My point was that no matter what number they picked, somone could say "but they could have done more", and would have. We will see if 8gb is "enough".
    - They could have atleast matched the amount of its biggest competitor.
    - Most people waited years for the Pre, I don't think they will be willing to wait for a future higher storage version
    - Dont ever infer anything about what Palm may or may not do in the future. There is nothing to suggest Palm wants media to ever to be added to the cloud.
    IMO Palm picked 8GB partly because they anticipated the current base iphone at 8GB. i expect a 16GB Pre will be introduced for the Christmas 2009 buying season.
    Exactly. And a statful firewall allows inbound connections. That was my point.
    But you certainly would need to open up ports if you expect to sync any type of data via the internet from your desktop. Thats the point.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast