Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Nope, people leave the computers on. It's what i do.
    Most corporations will not allow at inbound connection to be made to the desktop. So I guess the Pre isn't marketed to the business user at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You really think most people are going to do this? People dont want to have to set up servers, configure firewalls and ports just to be able to listen to music.

Palm screwed up. They should have added more storage. It will really stand out in comparisons when the iPhone 32gig edition comes out.
    It is especially irksome when you realize how small the overall difference in cost going from 8 to 16 or 32 gb is. Memory is dirt cheap.
    a typical user wants to load as much as their music and video catalog as possible, and installs as many apps as they want without having to worry about firewalls.

Why is it so hard to just admit Palm should have added more storage?
    We will not know if this was a mistake or not until we see sales numbers. I believe, that if Palm or Sprint offers cloud based storage to Pre owners that people will not have to do anything to access that data apart from electing to o so. For the typical user,they will not care if their song is onboard or on the cloud as long as they have access to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I fully anticipate that we'll see apps that allow you to store your music files on a system (possibly even your own system) that allows you to download the songs to your device and play them. Possibly even a localized version of the genome technology that Pandora uses, applied to your own music collection.

I think many folks are not seeing the possibilities of WebOS, the Pre, and "The Cloud".
    We did have such a system, it was called Napster.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    It is especially irksome when you realize how small the overall difference in cost going from 8 to 16 or 32 gb is. Memory is dirt cheap.
    But dont worry, according to posts here limited storage fits into Palm's WebOS philosophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    For the typical user,they will not care if their song is onboard or on the cloud as long as they have access to it.
    Totally disagree. I bet the ipod app on the iPhone is used far more than Pandora or other streaming music apps.
    a typical user wants to load as much as their music and video catalog as possible, and installs as many apps as they want without having to worry about firewalls.

Why is it so hard to just admit Palm should have added more storage?
    That's because the "typical user" has not had the options I'm talking about before.

On another thread, there is talk about SlingBox. This is a prime example of the type of thing I'm talking about. To use this, the typical home user has to modify their firewall, and they are installing a server (the SlingBox). They do this in spite of the other options that are available to the smartphone out there.

Someone could easily have made the same arguments -

Do you really believe that people are going to purchase a dedicated server (that's what the SlingBox is), install it in their home, and attempt to reconfigure their firewall to open necessary ports AND set up NAT (Network Address Translation), just so they can watch TV on their phone?

Hmmmm.... apparently so...
    Totally disagree. I bet the ipod app on the iPhone is used far more than Pandora or other streaming music apps.
    I think the fact that you can run the ipod application in the background, rather than having to close out Pandora if you want to do anything else, may have something to do with that.
    i'm more frustrated at not knowing my complete PIM sync options than i am at not knowing the Pre's release date or price.

i would love to see free Push Gmail for Pre owners (kind of like yahoo did for iphone users). i'd also like to see a free "Online Cloud Palm Desktop" that would cache locally and sync automatically to the cloud. so you'd have the best of all worlds. we kind of have this with CompanionLink for Google but i'm not sure how bullletproof/proven it is and also not sure what kind of Pre-sync this solution will have. hence, i'm in limbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    I was just getting ready to quote you saying that. I leave my desktop on all the time, but my work laptop, no, it's not always on.
    Interesting how threads fork.

I stopped purchasing desktop computers a long time ago. I buy a laptop, and a docking station for home and work, and my home computer is my work computer.

The scenario I'm talking about would work in that case though, as I'd be able to sync my phone locally at work, and then over the public network when away (assuming my computer was on and connected at home, which it is when I'm not at work).
    Quote Originally Posted by Pflaumen View Post
    I think the fact that you can run the ipod application in the background, rather than having to close out Pandora if you want to do anything else, may have something to do with that.
    or it may just be that the constant data connection required for streaming my music will kill my battery.

or it might just be I can listen to my onboard music in the subway or airplane, or anyplace else I dont get a strong signal

or it may just be that streaming video will probably never be as good as watching it onboard.
    I am not talking about streaming music necessarily. Your music files simply reside off device. When you select a playlist (for example) you music would load locally for playback. Select a movie, your playlist could then be replaced. So, yes, on board memory is limited, but cloud based memory need not be.

And people use the iPod more than Pandora on iPhones because it is part of the Aple ecosystem - it is what they are used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i'd also like to see a free "Online Cloud Palm Desktop" that would cache locally and sync automatically to the cloud. so you'd have the best of all worlds.
    Completely agree. Very surprised Palm is not doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    I am not talking about streaming music necessarily. Your music files simply reside off device. When you select a playlist (for example) you music would load locally for playback. Select a movie, your playlist could then be replaced. So, yes, on board memory is limited, but cloud based memory need not be.

And people use the iPod more than Pandora on iPhones because it is part of the Aple ecosystem - it is what they are used to.
    So I would need to wait for a movie to load locally, and the old data to be deleted before I can view it? No thanks. It probably would have cost Palm an extra 8 dollars per unit to add another 8 gig.
    or it may just be that the constant data connection required for streaming my music will kill my battery.
    If constant data connections are a big worry for you, why are you looking at getting a Pre which is almost constantly connected to the internet?

And for the times you are out of service, why not listen to the music sideloaded on your device?
    "I always think of mobile computing as personal computing. This long-term vision has led us through everything -- first the organizers and now through the smart phone space. It's like everything a personal computer is. Continue down that path. What are the implications of a world where everyone has a super high-speed Internet connection in their pocket and many gigabytes of storage, super-fast processors, audio, visual and multimedia? What are the consequences of that? How will that change computing when you have all that stuff available to you all the time? I try to think into the future. That's how we come up with new products." – Jeff Hawkins – July 2005
    Personally, I am still unsure about syncing to this whole cloud thing. This is the way that I see it. It's my data and I want to keep it private. Not only for my sake, but for the sake of other people's data that I keep. Since the Pre isn't released yet and we don't know how this whole cloud sync will work and just how secure it will be, I'll wait to reserve judgment. I do think that there will be some form of local sync (backup) that will available at some point, either by Palm or by a 3rd party.

With all that said, I do feel that Palm made a mistake with only going with 8gb. Memory is cheap and these days 8gb doesn't go very far. Music, photos, videos, ebooks, etc will soon take up space. If there is no card expansion slot then they should have done at least 16gb.
    Most corporations will not allow at inbound connection to be made to the desktop. So I guess the Pre isn't marketed to the business user at all.
    Actually, that's technically not true. Most corporations do indeed allow inbound connections to be made to the desktop, if they did not, no one would be able to browse the web.

But your point is valid. In most corporations, they don't allow inbound connections that are initiated externally, and most don't allow any connections to the desktop below port 1024 (which would preclude a web server).

It's probably also worth mentioning that most corporations frown on storing music files on the desktop computers and/or shared servers, but that's a whole 'nother issue.

I'd say (which I alluded to earlier) that in the cases where a business computer needed to connect to the Pre, they would use local WiFi. In the cases where their corporate policies did not allow the Pre to use local WiFi, they could use BlueTooth. In cases where they couldn't use BlueTooth, they could connect a cable. In cases where they couldn't connect a cable, they could wait until they get home, or find another job.

I hope you see my point. These are not insurmountable issues. Palm very well may have made a mistake with the limited memory. I'm disappointed myself, even though I know it's simply an emotional reaction (for me). The reason I know that? I've got a 4gb memory card in my Treo that I've never had more than 2gb of data on...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pflaumen View Post
    If constant data connections are a big worry for you, why are you looking at getting a Pre which is almost constantly connected to the internet?
    and now your going to add streaming media on top of this constant connection. Hope you will be near a charger.
    So I would need to wait for a movie to load locally, and the old data to be deleted before I can view it? No thanks. It probably would have cost Palm an extra 8 dollars per unit to add another 8 gig.
    I'd say that this, along with your other objections, means that you're a prime candidate for not getting the new technology, and hanging on to the old...

Personally, I'm anxious to see what happens with the new stuff.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast