Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 245
  1. reminiz's Avatar
    Posts
    780 Posts
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Plan ahead.
    or since the Pre knows I will be in areas of restricted coverage, it will just ahead and move the movies, music, and pics around for me.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    or since the Pre knows I will be in areas of restricted coverage, it will just ahead and move the movies, music, and pics around for me.
    Now THAT would be good software.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    ...
    Personally, I have decided to forgo non Pandora music playback on the Pre to preserve both battery life and space. I picked up a new iPod a few days ago and while I dont think that is a good solution I know that complaining on the internet about non upgradable memory is an even worse one, so I caved and went back to 2 devices.
    I fully anticipate that we'll see apps that allow you to store your music files on a system (possibly even your own system) that allows you to download the songs to your device and play them. Possibly even a localized version of the genome technology that Pandora uses, applied to your own music collection.

    I think many folks are not seeing the possibilities of WebOS, the Pre, and "The Cloud".
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I fully anticipate that we'll see apps that allow you to store your music files on a system (possibly even your own system) that allows you to download the songs to your device and play them. Possibly even a localized version of the genome technology that Pandora uses, applied to your own music collection.

    I think many folks are not seeing the possibilities of WebOS, the Pre, and "The Cloud".
    Some things are just better when they are local, on the device. For example I would never store certain sensitive data in the cloud, and I still want my music and videos local
  5. #85  
    One thing that may help people with limited space for media would be Orb Mycasting. It lets them stream or download media from their home computer (including video, pics, documents, etc.) They already have an app for iPhone, so I'm sure its just a matter of time.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Some things are just better when they are local, on the device. For example I would never store certain sensitive data in the cloud, and I still want my music and videos local
    If your local computer was included in "the cloud", you could then safely store certain sensitive data there.

    Technically, almost all music and video is local. It's usually stored in cache and replayed. However, a server that you controlled could also be set up so that you chose the playback method. Hi quality playback, medium quality, or high speed. Such an app could even be programmed to check to see if you have the media already on your Pre, and download it only if it's not already there.

    I wasn't using my PC on the net when the Internet started heating up, but I've been around long enough to see it go through some pretty significant changes. I was using a PC on the net when the first real sound playback capabilities became popular, then the videos. Eventually, they not only became popular, but common-place.

    I think WebOS is about to bring similar changes to the smartphone industry. These things didn't get hot because whiz-bang programmers started sprouting everywhere, they became popular because the core functionality made it easer for imaginative people to use the programmers' skills. That's what WebOS is going to bring to the smartphone. BTW, that's also what is going to be vastly different between the Pre and the iPhone.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If your local computer was included in "the cloud", you could then safely store certain sensitive data there.

    Technically, almost all music and video is local. It's usually stored in cache and replayed. However, a server that you controlled could also be set up so that you chose the playback method. Hi quality playback, medium quality, or high speed. Such an app could even be programmed to check to see if you have the media already on your Pre, and download it only if it's not already there.

    I wasn't using my PC on the net when the Internet started heating up, but I've been around long enough to see it go through some pretty significant changes. I was using a PC on the net when the first real sound playback capabilities became popular, then the videos. Eventually, they not only became popular, but common-place.

    I think WebOS is about to bring similar changes to the smartphone industry. These things didn't get hot because whiz-bang programmers started sprouting everywhere, they became popular because the core functionality made it easer for imaginative people to use the programmers' skills. That's what WebOS is going to bring to the smartphone. BTW, that's also what is going to be vastly different between the Pre and the iPhone.

    My local computer isn't always connected.
    Its also behind a firewall.
    And if it was in the cloud, then it would not be totally secure.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    My local computer isn't always connected.
    Its also behind a firewall.
    And if it was in the cloud, then it would not be totally secure.
    You're an atypical user, tho, no?
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    My local computer isn't always connected.
    Its also behind a firewall.
    And if it was in the cloud, then it would not be totally secure.
    When it's not connected, you would only be able to play the files that are already stored on the Pre.

    It's very simple to add exceptions to the firewall. It's also very controllable.

    Nothing is totally secure (the PC that stores the information can be stolen); however, there are ways to mitigate that. You could restrict your "personal cloud" to only allow downloading on your local network. You could even set it so the sensitive data was only available locally, and only to certain devices, while the less sensitive data was downloadable over the public network.

    These are all issues that can be overcome.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    When it's not connected, you would only be able to play the files that are already stored on the Pre.

    It's very simple to add exceptions to the firewall. It's also very controllable.

    Nothing is totally secure (the PC that stores the information can be stolen); however, there are ways to mitigate that. You could restrict your "personal cloud" to only allow downloading on your local network. You could even set it so the sensitive data was only available locally, and only to certain devices, while the less sensitive data was downloadable over the public network.

    These are all issues that can be overcome.
    You really think most people are going to do this? People dont want to have to set up servers, configure firewalls and ports just to be able to listen to music.

    Palm screwed up. They should have added more storage. It will really stand out in comparisons when the iPhone 32gig edition comes out.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You're an atypical user, tho, no?
    a typical user wants to load as much as their music and video catalog as possible, and installs as many apps as they want without having to worry about firewalls.

    Why is it so hard to just admit Palm should have added more storage?
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You really think most people are going to do this? People dont want to have to set up servers, configure firewalls and ports just to be able to listen to music.

    Palm screwed up. They should have added more storage. It will really stand out in comparisons when the iPhone 32gig edition comes out.
    The at least $100 more plus for the 32GB iPhone and the monthly premium you pay on AT&T will stand out as well.

    If you or whoever else want to pay for that extra SIMM of memory over and over for 24 months, have at it. I'll take cloud storage and the much better value any day of the week.

    Palm didn't screw up at all.
  13. #93  
    Nope, people leave the computers on. It's what i do.

    But i'm with ya on the people won't do anything beyond the norm. It's why this slingbox thing isn't that big since i can't see the masses fooling with em.

    They want to press an icon or plug it in and have it work... So whatever Palm has up their sleeves, they better hope its so simple a 3yr old can do it.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    a typical user wants to load as much as their music and video catalog as possible, and installs as many apps as they want without having to worry about firewalls.

    Why is it so hard to just admit Palm should have added more storage?
    I don't see firewalls being an issue for the vast majority of people. Take Pre, sync with computer or cloud storage, and go about your day.

    The Pre is a cloud-oriented device. The "more storage" will be cloud-oriented as well. There's nothing to admit because I believe the Pre's hardware and software configuration supports Palm's overall ideas for WebOS quite well.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    They want to press an icon or plug it in and have it work... So whatever Palm has up their sleeves, they better hope its so simple a 3yr old can do it.
    Totally agreed. This is the single most feature I'm looking forward to being explored and documented in Pre reviews.
  16. #96  
    I will say that desktops seem to be going away..somewhat. More people i know will ask about laptops instead these days. Those don't get left on usually.
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't see firewalls being an issue for the vast majority of people. Take Pre, sync with computer or cloud storage, and go about your day.

    The Pre is a cloud-oriented device. The "more storage" will be cloud-oriented as well. There's nothing to admit because I believe the Pre's hardware and software configuration supports Palm's overall ideas for WebOS quite well.
    So I guess Palm is only concerned with the technical crowds because most people are not comfortable configuring firewalls.

    Limited onboard storage supports Palm's overall ideas for WebOS? This reaks of fanboyism.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I fully anticipate that we'll see apps that allow you to store your music files on a system (possibly even your own system) that allows you to download the songs to your device and play them. Possibly even a localized version of the genome technology that Pandora uses, applied to your own music collection.

    I think many folks are not seeing the possibilities of WebOS, the Pre, and "The Cloud".
    Until something like that appears I am happy with the 'Genius" feature of itunes/iPod. I find it makes just as interesting selections from my collection as Pandora does from theirs, with the obvious exception that genius is local only.
  19. reminiz's Avatar
    Posts
    780 Posts
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I will say that desktops seem to be going away..somewhat. More people i know will ask about laptops instead these days. Those don't get left on usually.
    I was just getting ready to quote you saying that. I leave my desktop on all the time, but my work laptop, no, it's not always on.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You really think most people are going to do this? People dont want to have to set up servers, configure firewalls and ports just to be able to listen to music.

    Palm screwed up. They should have added more storage. It will really stand out in comparisons when the iPhone 32gig edition comes out.
    People regularly set up servers on their systems, without even realizing it.

    Those that don't want to configure firewalls and ports (which is actually pretty easy to do), will have the same option (in a slightly modified format) as folks have had for years with Palm devices - download files to the machine locally.

    Of course, if a person has made up their mind that none of this is workable, and doesn't want to hear any possibilities contrary to that notion, then nothing is going to be workable.

    There is the option of keeping what they have that alreday works...
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions