Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    It all comes down to what features are important to you personally.

No desktop sync is a con to you, and a pro to me. I hate syncing with iTunes. I only want to copy data to it, like music. All other things should exist in the cloud so I can access it from any of the 4 computers I use on a daily basis, instead of just one.

8 gigs doesn't bother me as I only listen to pandora and a few beloved albums (white stripes, sublime, beatles).

Sprint has by far the cheapest plans so that is a Pro for me (leaving Verizon).

That said, I'm scared of the following things...
    * No landscape typing because of lack of virtual keyboard option
    * Bad keyboard
    * Bad build quality
    * Battery life
    * Quality of apps

The cons of this device compared to the cons of BB, iPhone, and WinMo seem much less to me.

* Blackberry OS is ancient. The apps are terrible. The text rendering sucks. Web browser is terrible.

* iPhone notifications suck and multitasking is non-existent. Battery life is bad. AT&T plans are EXPENSIVE, especially for family plans.

* WinMo - I don't think I need to discuss the bad things about WinMo.

To me, the possible cons of the Pre are nothing compared to the other smart phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    No desktop sync, only 8 gig, smallish screen, and possibility of a bad keyboard, no international calling, Sprint........ kind of scare me.

but I will be getting one anyway
    Smallish screen? Come on.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Smallish screen? Come on.
    Sorry, after getting use to reading Kindle books on a 3.5 inch screen, it will be hard losing the extra size. The Pre screen is closer to the screen size of the touch diamond than it is to the iPhone. Yes, that does scare me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    It all comes down to what features are important to you personally.

No desktop sync is a con to you, and a pro to me. I hate syncing with iTunes. I only want to copy data to it, like music. All other things should exist in the cloud so I can access it from any of the 4 computers I use on a daily basis, instead of just one.

8 gigs doesn't bother me as I only listen to pandora and a few beloved albums (white stripes, sublime, beatles).

Sprint has by far the cheapest plans so that is a Pro for me (leaving Verizon).

That said, I'm scared of the following things...
    * No landscape typing because of lack of virtual keyboard option
    * Bad keyboard
    * Bad build quality
    * Battery life
    * Quality of apps

The cons of this device compared to the cons of BB, iPhone, and WinMo seem much less to me.

* Blackberry OS is ancient. The apps are terrible. The text rendering sucks. Web browser is terrible.

* iPhone notifications suck and multitasking is non-existent. Battery life is bad. AT&T plans are EXPENSIVE, especially for family plans.

* WinMo - I don't think I need to discuss the bad things about WinMo.

To me, the possible cons of the Pre are nothing compared to the other smart phones.
    There are some very good Blackberry Apps. Also, what makes you think the Pre will have better battery life than the iPhone?

Another thing the iPhone has I hope the Pre will have is the ability to sync apps to the desktop with WiFi. I dont know about you, but I am not putting my Splash ID data in "the cloud"
    I'd go back and forth some but at this point, i'm just gonna wait for the release so we have all the info. Looking forward to the iphone conference whatever its called too before i get an ipod touch.
    If I could take the Pre multi-tasking and notifications, and put it into the iPhone hardware and OS, I would be very happy.
    Sorry, after getting use to reading Kindle books on a 3.5 inch screen, it will be hard losing the extra size. The Pre screen is closer to the screen size of the touch diamond than it is to the iPhone. Yes, that does scare me.
    A .4 inch size difference, where the entire screen real estate is almost always available (due to the gesture area and hardware keyboard) instead of Apple (and pretty every other touchscreen phone) where onscreen keyboards routinely cut screen real estate in half?

That scares you? You use its Kindle functionality maybe 5-20% of the time. You use its web browsing, apps and text entry far more than that. I think it's everyone else getting a raw deal, not Pre users.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    A .4 inch size difference, where the entire screen real estate is almost always available (due to the gesture area and hardware keyboard) instead of Apple (and pretty every other touchscreen phone) where onscreen keyboards routinely cut screen real estate in half?

That scares you? You use its Kindle functionality maybe 5-20% of the time. You use its web browsing, apps and text entry far more than that. I think it's everyone else getting a raw deal, not Pre users.
    Well, 20 percent of the time is big. However, I have also used a touch diamond extensively and browsing on a screen that size is nowhere near the experience of browsing on a screen the size of the iPhone. I am getting old, my eyes are no where near as good.
    My issues so far:

There should be a landscape keyboard that can be turned off if you don't want it. No reason I should have to switch to enter text that is just stupid. It needs to be fixed prior or shortly after release.

Hopefully the keyboard isn't anything like the Centro in size and feel as that would probably be a deal breaker for me. They don't look anything similar except maybe the rubbery feel which is fine, so long as the size and spacing is adequate.

Screen being plastic instead of glass like the iphone is a concern for me as well. It looks sharper and better but if its going to get all f-d up its not worth it.
    Last edited by Aridon; 05/12/2009 at 03:55 PM.
    Well, 20 percent of the time is big. However, I have also used a touch diamond extensively and browsing on a screen that size is nowhere near the experience of browsing on a screen the size of the iPhone. I am getting old, my eyes are no where near as good.
    Which is why it's good that the Pre is .3 inches bigger than the Diamond (which apparently makes a world of difference). I'm not the youngest chicken in the coop myself, but my Instinct S30's 3.2 inch screen is just dandy for text reading (Browsing this forum on Opera Mini is a breeze). The Pre will be too.

And again, anytime you need to enter text, you are losing huge chunks of that iPhone screen real estate. So posting to this forum, for example, becomes an annoyance.
    And again, anytime you need to enter text, you are losing huge chunks of that iPhone screen real estate. So posting to this forum, for example, becomes an annoyance.
    not really. When I am typing, I am looking at my fingers anyway. When I am finished typing the onscreen keyboard goes away and I am left with a huge screen.
    not really. When I am typing, I am looking at my fingers anyway. When I am finished typing the onscreen keyboard goes away and I am left with a huge screen.
    I don't know about you but I get annoyed on my Iphone when I pull up the keyboard to enter text and the keyboard covers it. Happens most often logging into secured sites and such. It also messes with the zoom sometimes when you click the field to enter text.

Annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I don't know about you but I get annoyed on my Iphone when I pull up the keyboard to enter text and the keyboard covers it. Happens most often logging into secured sites and such. It also messes with the zoom sometimes when you click the field to enter text.

Annoying.
    I got to say that I never have a problem with it. The keyboard wont even pop up until you click on a box where you can enter text. When the keyboard opens, it wont cover this box.
    I got to say that I never have a problem with it. The keyboard wont even pop up until you click on a box where you can enter text. When the keyboard opens, it wont cover this box.
    No it covers the password box below it that I'm going to use next.
    ....That is a whopping 12 percent bigger than the Pre screen. That'd be like talking about the "overwhelming" storage advantage of the 8.96GB iPhone 3G.
    The iPhone screen is not THAT much bigger. Plus, the Pre is smaller so I think the trade off is much better. Anyone coming from a Treo I would think would be stoked about a 320x480 screen, just like the old Clie vs Tungsten days...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    ....That is a whopping 12 percent bigger than the Pre screen. That'd be like talking about the "overwhelming" storage advantage of the 8.96GB iPhone 3G.
    My iPhone has 16 gig. I bet my next one will have 32 gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    The iPhone screen is not THAT much bigger. Plus, the Pre is smaller so I think the trade off is much better. Anyone coming from a Treo I would think would be stoked about a 320x480 screen, just like the old Clie vs Tungsten days...
    Again, this is your opinion. To me, I would much rather have a bigger screen. The Blackberry Storm has a 3.25 inch screen and even that feels considerably smaller than the iPhone when browsing, reading documents, or looking at my news feeds.
    I too was bothered by the lack of an onscreen keyboard in landscape, until I realized that I almost always (95% of the time) switch to landscape and flip open the keyboard on my Touch Pro whenever I need to enter text. And, that wouldn't bother me at all if there weren't the terrible lags 1) in the screen reformatting for landscape and 2) in the keyboard actually responding and placing characters on the screen.

In short, from my own usage patterns, as long as the Pre's switch from landscape to portrait is as instantaneous as it's seemed in demos, and as long as the keyboard responds instantly as well, I'll be fine with a quick flip to portrait to type something in the keyboard. This is even more true given that I use my Touch Pro in landscape pretty much only to watch video or, ironically, to type something. I'd much rather keep it in portrait for most things, including text entry, and so the Pre should be perfect for me.
    I wonder how many GSM/3G version units will be available at launch date.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast