View Poll Results: Will Palm screw over early adopters?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 2.86%
  • Partially, not as badly as Apple did

    14 40.00%
  • No

    20 57.14%
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    I was randomly thinking about the Pre launch today (like I always do) and I was thinking about how Palm could let us down with the Pre launch. While I don't think the launch itself will be a failure, I wonder if Palm may do something akin to what Apple did when the iPhone first came out. If you recall, the iPhone retailed for a wallet-breaking $599 when it first came out, and came in paltry sizes of 4 and 8 GB. Despite those major faults, its launch was still considered very successful. A few months later the 4 GB disappeared and Apple dropped the price a full $200, to $399, and gave early adopters nothing but a shrug, a short letter, and an iTunes coupon. The 16 GB version came 5-6 months after the price drop.

    Now we're on the verge of the Pre's launch, and are already preparing ourselves for a few disappointments. In particular, the mediocre 8 GB of memory and no expansion slot. We also still don't know the pricing of the Pre, though optimistic speculation has it at $199.

    Now what if the Pre has a similar launch? The price will start high and then drop a few months later, and before you know it a 16 GB model will be available, or one with an expansion slot. Once the rush of getting the Pre out before July is over, they could probably easily make such adjustments. The high pricing part is probably less likely since it must compete with the iPhone, but is plausible since Palm's been quoted as believing it has a superior product and will be priced accordingly. The touchtone's highly likely price of $70 also suggests that Palm won't be selling its breakthrough products for cheap.

    What do you guys think?
  2. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by ultima301 View Post

    Now what if the Pre has a similar launch? The price will start high and then drop a few months later, and before you know it a 16 GB model will be available, or one with an expansion slot.

    What do you guys think?
    The Pre will not sell well unless it is the same price as the iPhone. The market is very different from the time that the first iPhone came out. They were the Cadillac of that day. They had no real competition.

    Now there are many able competitors. I think we can relax about a high priced Pre. I don't think it will happen.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  3. #3  
    I agree with TomD. I think the early adopters would still buy it, but +$200 is hard to market and to sell. If releasing the Pre doesn't kill its chances already, a high price point will.

    I'd say its a 5% chance of being over $200, 60% at $199, and 35% at something less (but still more than $99)
  4. TPavey's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #4  
    Apple is really the only company that can make small, incremental upgrades to their products and charge significantly more for them and still have customers line up to upgrade with every iteration Palm is going to release a phone that they think will last a full 2 years and be a great phone out of the gate. They don't have the luxury of Apple's mindless followers. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of intelligent people that own Apple devices and some of Apple's products are the best in the industry, but a decent portion of their consumer base just buy stuff because Apple tells them it's cool. If Palm tries to position the Pre like Apple did with the iPhone they will fail.

    So to answer your question: No, I don't think the Pre launch will be like the iPhone launch. It is a different company launching in a different market with a different target audience.
  5. #5  
    Only if they want to crash and burn, then yes.

    I voted "no" because they can't possibly be that dumb, can they?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #6  
    The Pre isn't going to be priced more than the Iphone so that part isn't going to happen.

    Secondly, Palm is going to release larger storage version at some point so if that is something that will bother you then don't buy one at release.

    Apple caught **** because they not only increased storage a few months later but dropped the prices to a more reasonable level to increase sales. They also gave gift certs to the buyers for apple store credit. I used mine to buy the 3g when it came out.
  7. #7  
    I think perhaps, I hope they release a constant stream of updates rather than a firmware update only when it is needed like previous phones...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  8. #8  
    nope . lesson;s have been learned from the Apple lauch. While it would be shor sighted to expect a perfect launch, I highly doubht we willsee and issue like we did with the apples first launch
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  9. #9  
    Big difference in the U.S. economy since June 2007 and today.
    But, I still think it will be between $225-$250, Palm and Sprint need to make some cash.
  10. #10  
    Remember as well that the Apple deal with AT&T for the initial iPhone launch included revenue sharing on plans and Apple pocketing the phone profits too. That was a non-standard arrangement that ultimately failed for Apple as they dropped that plan for the 3G to get more international carriers on board.
    Simply put, Palm lacks the market power to force the Apple agreement on things, they don't have their own sales infrastructure, and they are desperate for more unit sales. There has been talk about higher price for the phone, with the EP requirements the profit margins should be good for Sprint with more subscribers and smaller profits per customer. Palm will make money on the units regardless of Sprint sales, since Sprint is buying the phones to sell from Palm.
    All this points to Palm not doing the Apple thing with this, they are not stupid (or to appease some of you, they are at least not that stupid).

Posting Permissions