1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    wow
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    hope the story is true
    wow that was painfully anticlimactic. i don't think i learned anything new after reading that. ok maybe painful grammar, punctuation, and spelling revelations.
    oh man!! "NO LAG WHATSOEVER when switching between apps/using the phone"
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    and nothing new that we don't know
    "I got to play with the Pre, but I can't tell you anything other than I like it. Of course, I work for a site dedicated to the device, so I'd be psyched so long as it wasn't a complete disaster."

ARGH!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Actually, there was quite a bit of new info in the way of reassurance.

Previous hands-on discussions have talked about a plasticy feel that is less sturdy than other phones. Have seen some mention the keyboard being bad where this guy said he was able to get used to it quickly. Other people talked about lag with multiple apps open. He also said the line-up of apps sounded pretty promising so far. Look through the posts here to see how many people are convinced that there will be not much available at launch.

Overall this guy sounds like he had very high expectations for this device and was pleased. It would be very easy for someone with these expectations to be disappointed.

Thank you for the post. It seems like the people here are just too jaded to have a positive response to any info now.
    There was something new - its build is not "cheesy", as the supposed first hands on review stated (which appears to have been a big lie), as well as others. I'll admit I was a bit concerned.
  9.    #10  
    i know there is no new info but I did find it very exciting that the review was completely positive!
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Thanks, this is the first extensive review from anyone who has (apparently) had reasonably unfettered access to the device. So, anything the guy says is very new, irrespective of whether it is information we may have heard before from Palm itself, or from people who briefly held it under the watchful eyes of Palm reps.

The fact that his experience was so overwhelmingly positive is therefore, imho, quite a milestone in pre-history.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    waaahhh. bunch of whiners. at least it's a real hands on positive review that states things should be as we are hoping. the slider could suck, keyboard be crap, lag could be siginificant.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    It's nice, but it's also definitely not a review. A preview, sure, and a good one it sounds like, but there's now way this should be called a "Exclusive Early review of the Palm Pre" like his Twitter called it.
  13.    #14  
    It's hard to review when it seems like everyone has been sworn to secrecy / threatened with their lives!
    My golly, for weeks (months?) folks have been complaining because nobody's been able to report any hands-on experience with the Pre. Then, someone gets some good hands-on, basically says it's an incredible experience and basically the phone to beat, and people feel the need to complain because there's "nothing new"?

Yeesh. I'm more excited after reading this than I've been since learning about the Pre, because as good as all the features that we _do_ know about are, it's awesome to know that those features work well. After years of struggling with Windows Mobile, which has some good functionality but a painful user experience, I simply can't wait for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    My golly, for weeks (months?) folks have been complaining because nobody's been able to report any hands-on experience with the Pre. Then, someone gets some good hands-on, basically says it's an incredible experience and basically the phone to beat, and people feel the need to complain because there's "nothing new"?

Yeesh. I'm more excited after reading this than I've been since learning about the Pre, because as good as all the features that we _do_ know about are, it's awesome to know that those features work well. After years of struggling with Windows Mobile, which has some good functionality but a painful user experience, I simply can't wait for the Pre.
    I agree. I felt there was a little more excitement as well as insight into apps that may be available at launch that hardly anyone knows about. I also liked that he said it felt solid. This is the first time that has been said. Others have said it felt plasticy. He also had positive things to say about the keyboard...again a first!
    I'm really glad he liked the Pre so much...his overly positive review makes me question how critical he is in the first place. It sounds like an iPhone fanboy finally getting his own iPhone, glazing over the features for 10 minutes, and calling it a perfect phone. He could have at least mentioned one thing about it that he didn't really like or grow to like. I hope Dieter's review will be more critical (I'm sure it will be, he writes good reviews).
    I need to apologize for my previous posting... it's been a long day, not to mention that I just had Joan Rivers screeching in my ear for three hours watching for a rumored commercial outing. If that's not enough to drive somebody to madness, I don't know what is.

It's cool that there are Pre phones out there, and people who know what they're talking about getting a hands on with them. I was also glad to read that he had a good experience in his hands on time, but calling it a 'review' was an irritating stretch for me.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    To be honest, i could've made up a "review" like that. Still nothing new to see here. If i ran a blog, i wouldn't insult my readers by running that though just to get some hits.
    Yeah, I watched the Apprentice too....for nothing....no Pre!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast