Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    That's interesting that they still don't allow cell phones in hospitals. I totally understood the policy when cell phones were analog. An analog signal could bleed over anything badly and you certainly don't want that to happen in a hospital. I thought that was basically eliminated with the new digital cell phones.
    Now I think it's not allowed because people on cell phones are annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    The speed all depends on the ISP serving the internet to the wifi connection you were using.
    It also depends on how fast the web browser can load the page. I'm not worried about speeds on my 20/5 Fios connection...
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    I live in a rural area and my Sprint coverages ends at the door. Inside I get nothing. Since I have wifi at home I can still browse the web and check mail even from bed in the middle of the night.
    I spend a majority of my week in hospitals all around Philly. People use cell phones just about everywhere they can get a signal. I use mine in the OR all the time. If there is an inappropriate time to be on it, staff will ask nicely to to take it somewhere else. There are also plenty of dead zones in hospitals, and thankfully more and more have public wifi access.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    That's interesting that they still don't allow cell phones in hospitals. I totally understood the policy when cell phones were analog. An analog signal could bleed over anything badly and you certainly don't want that to happen in a hospital. I thought that was basically eliminated with the new digital cell phones.
    We have "no cell phone" signs up all over the place, but everyone including staff uses them.

In my experience, the only problem with cell phones is when they are physically on or in close proximity to a patient. This can cause extensive EKG artifact (noise) to show up in the telemetry reading. Same goes for other electrical appliances and telemetry.
    OK, I guess I will look real dumb to many here, but a bunch of you mentioned WiFi and cell signal/cell tower in the same sentence. Does that mean that WiFi allows me to make a cell call if/when my cell signal is bad?! I thought WiFi was strictly for internet access?

Be easy on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    OK, I guess I will look real dumb to many here, but a bunch of you mentioned WiFi and cell signal/cell tower in the same sentence. Does that mean that WiFi allows me to make a cell call if/when my cell signal is bad?! I thought WiFi was strictly for internet access?

Be easy on me.
    Strictly internet, at least as far as we know. Sprint likely wouldn't want us to be able to make easy VOIP calls over WiFi, as that would cut into the possibility of their getting overage minutes when we exceed our plans.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Thanks, Ya'll -- I really appreciate your input!
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post

Be easy on me.
    Cell/tower signals were mentioned because cell phone companies provide both, the ability to make phone calls AND the ability to access the internet, via that signal.

If the cell/tower signal is very weak or absent, then the phone is unable to make phone calls or access the internet, that way.

Having wifi provides an alternative method of accessing the internet.

Long/short: cell/tower signals and wifi were compared because of their data access/access to the internet.

I hope that (plus others' responses) helps.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Many hospitals make a very fat kick on the overpriced in-room phone services.
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance. I've been using Palm handheld devices for 10 years (currently using T/X) but never moved up to their smartphones. I'm just curious as to why you need WiFi with a phone that can always connect to the internet. Are there certain situations where the cell connection is not adequate/appropriate for web browsing? Is there an advantage to a WiFi connection over the cell connection? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    Always connect? you mean connect in about 5% of the earth!

There are about ten reasons why wifi which is very cheap to add, is now de rigor on smartphones. Some of the more important are:
    1) In many places in the US, you get no sprint signal. I got to a lot of conferences which in the urban area I am in are 90% in hotels in below ground floors. It is very common not to have phone service (and thereby the phone's CDMA data connection) but wifi log in is usually given free for conference participants. If you are an all day event this is compelling.

2) wifi is almost always faster than sprint service

3) sprint's limits of 5GB are rarely if ever enforced, but if you stream a lot you might get tagged as abusing service.

4) there are many many functions on your spmartphone. your smartphone can do about 20 things, just one of which is handle calls. If you travel outside of the US you can get your email, browser the web, do some work on your coprorate intranet, use the camera to take some snapshots and upload them to your face book, use GPS location based services all outside of CDMA -- if you have wifi.

5) there are some security scenarios where you must connect through wifi abd where a CDMA connection will not work.

6) many many users choose sprint due to low prices despite living in an area that is EVDO problem area. They may get 1x (the slower CDMA speed you) only at a frequent location, such as home or office, due to marginal signal, yet stay with sprint due to low prices. Wifi is a great feature in that case.
    The reason why a phone (with data) is required on a WiFi device is, the damn thing drains battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Cradlepoint has much better devices, both mobile (with battery) and fixed.
    great products.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    With my mogul, I barely noticed a difference in speed between wifi and evdo. But now with my pre, the evdo is just as fast but the wifi really makes a great difference with downloads and streaming videos.
    I would offer that "cell phones" don't need WiFi, but smartphones like the Pre are tiny, mobile computers. And computers definitely benefit from WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Strictly internet, at least as far as we know. Sprint likely wouldn't want us to be able to make easy VOIP calls over WiFi, as that would cut into the possibility of their getting overage minutes when we exceed our plans.
    I wonder what percentage of Pre uses actually go over their plan, especially with the new free mobile calls. Can't be much. If you have a Simply Everything, then VOIP doesn't really matter either for Sprint or the user.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdubbx View Post
    With my mogul, I barely noticed a difference in speed between wifi and evdo. But now with my pre, the evdo is just as fast but the wifi really makes a great difference with downloads and streaming videos.
    I too had the Mogul, and experienced the same thing. Eventually I learned it was because Pocket Internet Explorer is one of the worst mobile browsers on the planet. The connection speed via WiFi was indeed faster than the EvDO signal, but the bottleneck was happening with the browser, because it wasn't fast enough to render the webpages as they came in.

The Pre, with it's stellar WebKit-enabled browser and faster hardware, really does show a nice speed increase on WiFi - assuming you have a high-speed internet provider powering that WiFi hotspot. Plus, it saves battery life. What's not to love?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I use WiFi for two purposes: one is when I'm indoors (such as at work, or a recent visit to the Emergency Room with Wifey, where there was no cell use allowed, but free WiFi). The other is on those occasions when I need to look at something on the web, and share than info with someone on the phone. WiFi allows simultaneous data and phone use.
    This is the best part of WIFI I think. I'm surprised it took this long to post. Using WIFI while talking on the phone is the best of all time and space. Too bad Sprint can't do this without WIFI.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Wifi should be standard on anything called a "smartphone." It can save battery life in poor reception areas when using data. Also for me I switch it on if I am in the middle of a phone conversation and need to check something on the web or if I need to check traffic via google maps.

Wifi can be/is very helpful
    To summarize...

WiFI:
    1. Is Faster than x1 or EvDO cellular data.
    2. Is Less drain on your batter by at least a factor of two.
    3. May work in buildings where the Sprint signal is weak.
    4. May work where there is no Sprint coverage at all.

- Craig
    It's also for practice. How annoying would it be for 5000 people in the hospital to be on phones?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast