Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I just saw anothe video on the Pre and a question was asked of the Palm rep and skillfully avoided. The Question was "Do you have an expansion slot for a memory card?" Since there is none, why not?

So what if there are 8gb of internal memory. Personally I like having one on my phone. I actually use all that space. I think not having one is stupid and might influence me not getting the Pre.

Thoughts on this anyone...
    Quote Originally Posted by jaluv View Post
    I just saw anothe video on the Pre and a question was asked of the Palm rep and skillfully avoided. The Question was "Do you have an expansion slot for a memory card?" Since there is none, why not?

So what if there are 8gb of internal memory. Personally I like having one on my phone. I actually use all that space. I think not having one is stupid and might influence me not getting the Pre.

Sounds like you won't be getting a Pre then.

I would prefer a memory slot also, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Hopefully they will release a 16 GB version.
    Yeah this is the first versions....there ill be more.

I kinda think they are going to release a 8 gig and 16 gig Pre at launch for some reason....
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts

My thought is.... discussed already. I see you're new here, so I'd like to share with you this feature called.... searching.

Welcome to the forums.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    My thought is.... discussed already. I see you're new here, so I'd like to share with you this feature called.... searching.

Welcome to the forums.
    Please see this instructional video.

Here's a few - http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...tylus-you.html
    Yea, this has been beaten to death. I am KIND OF on your side. I don't necessarily need more memory than that (Depending on how large WEBOS apps will be) since you can throw non essential items to the cloud (like pictures, videos etc.). If apps are larger than say WM or PalmOS, than that might be a problem. My issue with no media card slot is with transferring files. Since the pre has no IR port, the only ways you can transfer files (efficiently) are with bluetooth and wifi. While this may be 2009, and most NEW products have bluetooth or Wifi, plenty still don't, especially in the work computer sector. A media card allows for quick and easy file transfer from desktops/phones etc. to your phone without having to carry around cables all day with you. With the pre, you are forced to carry around a sync cable Although, if the pre uses microSD for charging, its kind of a non-issue since the battery is the same size as a Centro. I have a feeling we will have to charge half way through the day anyway, so carrying a cable for file transfer is basically a mute point.
    It's about security folks. No one seems to get that. You cannot encrypt, from what I know, the internal memory. You CAN encrypt a card. So those photos of your wife you like but shouldn't share? PDF's of your tax returns or other sensitive docs like credit card numbers, passwords, etc? On a card, those are locked away. Without it, I don't see how you can very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    the only ways you can transfer files (efficiently) are with bluetooth and wifi
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    You cannot encrypt, from what I know, the internal memory.
    The phone shows up as a USB mass storage device when plugged into a computer using a standard microusb cable. It shows up just like a flash drive or hard drive so you can put whatever files, encrypted or not, on it and easily move data.
    I have a 16gb iPhone, which also has no expansion card, and have been able to survive without it. I do admit that it would be nice to have one, but then if I did, I'd just fill it up with stuff. Most of the iPhone apps don't seem to take up a lot of room on the phone. One point to keep in mind is that you will have the full memory available for storagae. On the Treo Pro, you only have 338mb of storage memory, making an expansion card a must have. On the Pre, you'll have a 8gb of storage (give or take a few mb). Think of it as having a cell phone with an 8gb expansion card, that is what I did with the iPhone.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    The phone shows up as a USB mass storage device when plugged into a computer using a standard microusb cable. It shows up just like a flash drive or hard drive so you can put whatever files, encrypted or not, on it and easily move data.

No, I understand that. I am sure I am in the minority here, I was just giving the op my opinion. Besides, the squeaky wheel gets th grease . What I said is still valid though. Even if the device shows up as USB mass storage (Excellent feature!), you will still have to carry around a cable. If you work in an office or car all day, no biggy. Again, I am probably the minority here, but I don't have an easy way to carry a cable, short of my pocket, which is full of cigs, lighter, benchmade, surefire, wallet, keys, ammo etc. Those retractable cables are cheap enough to keep one in the car, office, home, lunch box, and maybe even a wallet, but a mem card would be much more convienient. Personally, I think palm just started running out of time, and didn't think a driver for a mem card was feasible without extending the deadline, but that's just my uninformed theory. Either way, if the device is as good as it should be, i'll find a way to make it work. Hopefully Palm is smart enough to at least make the pre accessible to a usb thumb drive though. Otherwise you all might be hackin' my Pre for wifey's pictures...
    For me the smaller form factor is more important than a card slot.
    Did the guy really say he kept ammo in his pocket?
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Did the guy really say he kept ammo in his pocket?
    Of course. Kind of a silly question - I mean, where do you keep your ammo?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    In the Gun.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    In a proper mag holster.

Oh, and a cable would only be necessary where you have a computer to plug it into. Microusb is a standard and cables can be had for less than $5, so I plan on keeping one near each computer I use.
    Doesn't the Pre have BT? You really would only need a cable if you want to recharge it, provided that your computer has BT.

Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    No, I understand that. I am sure I am in the minority here, I was just giving the op my opinion. Besides, the squeaky wheel gets th grease . What I said is still valid though. Even if the device shows up as USB mass storage (Excellent feature!), you will still have to carry around a cable. If you work in an office or car all day, no biggy. Again, I am probably the minority here, but I don't have an easy way to carry a cable, short of my pocket, which is full of cigs, lighter, benchmade, surefire, wallet, keys, ammo etc. Those retractable cables are cheap enough to keep one in the car, office, home, lunch box, and maybe even a wallet, but a mem card would be much more convienient. Personally, I think palm just started running out of time, and didn't think a driver for a mem card was feasible without extending the deadline, but that's just my uninformed theory. Either way, if the device is as good as it should be, i'll find a way to make it work. Hopefully Palm is smart enough to at least make the pre accessible to a usb thumb drive though. Otherwise you all might be hackin' my Pre for wifey's pictures...
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Unless we are talking about a revolver and a pocket full of cartridges I would keep a magazine in a magazine pouch, the last thing I need is a bunch of crap and pocket lint getting into the magazine.

Of course Im not rich enough to have a permit in the great city of New York, so it is a moot point!
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Doesn't the Pre have BT? You really would only need a cable if you want to recharge it, provided that your computer has BT.
    And WIFI! Hopefully we will be able to mount it as a drive over wifi too!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast