Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    well there's room for a SIM card in the GSM version. You're buying into the BS line that it was sacrificed purely because of size and design constraints.
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    For me the smaller form factor is more important than a card slot.
    As far as BT, it's being assumed you're only connecting to your own computer. What about other's computers? I know many computers without BT. Though many desktops don't have card slots, and I end up carrying a card reader anyway. So I guess I just carry a cable. Though I kinda like not having to connect my phone to someone elses computer. Could just be a stupid security paranoia thing though.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    well there's room for a SIM card in the GSM version. You're buying into the BS line that it was sacrificed purely because of size and design constraints.
    If they have the card slot on the CDMA version, you can sure bet that customer demand would mandate its presence on the GSM version which would mean... design compromise!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Doesn't the Pre have BT? You really would only need a cable if you want to recharge it, provided that your computer has BT.
    We have had this discussion before, and mine is a unique situation I am sure. Only about 40% of the tablet PCs I deal with at work have Bluetooth. ALL have IR (which is why I am still a big advocate of IR, despite how outdated it is), all have WiFi but are hardly ever near internet access, and all have USB ports that are worn out from plugging in cameras all day. There are files that I transfer to and from these computers daily. Also, the "desktops" at work, aren't really desktops. They are kind of like netbook towers. They have no real hardware short of a basic motherboard, and are designed to "Remote PC" our corporate office. There are also files I need to get off of these computers daily. All of these computers have media card slots, and IR, internet and bluetooth are spotty. I also send/receive files from work phones daily, but all of them have either email or bluetooth, so that's not a biggie. Anyway, my point is, unless there is some way for the Pre to start a "wifi network" that a computer can send/receive files from, I am only really left with media cards and a spotty USB connection to do my work. Again, my situation is probably unique since our equipment is dilapidated and antiquated, but it is what it is.
    You basically just proved my point.
    They are going to have a GSM version with a SIM slot.
    If they put a card slot in the CDMA version, they'd have to put it in the GSM version.. there's no way they could fit both in the current form factor.

If they're both going to be a 'Pre', the same model, they'd have to maintain the same form factor and functionality for both (minus the network of course) - which means no room for a memory card slot.

In order to make the form factor differences required to accomodate both the SIM and memory they'd have to consider it a new model.
    Okay, so I just saw in another thread they Palm is offering an car charger plug that attaches to the sync cable for the same price as my Treo Pro car charger (same plug, just "fixed"), so my above post may very well be a mute point. I always have a car charger with me (I just bounce it between my personal truck and work car), so in theory I would always have a sync cable near by if I bought their charger. Still would be nice to not need to run around to a vehicle or home charger to transfer files, but at least they seem to be either thinking about this problem, or doing a really smart thing with their chargers (like the Treo Pro wall charger). All in all, I am a happy camper now, at least I will have a USB solution close by, as long as the worn out USB ports on the computers work.
    You basically just proved my point.
    They are going to have a GSM version with a SIM slot.
    If they put a card slot in the CDMA version, they'd have to put it in the GSM version.. there's no way they could fit both in the current form factor.

If they're both going to be a 'Pre', the same model, they'd have to maintain the same form factor and functionality for both (minus the network of course) - which means no room for a memory card slot.

In order to make the form factor differences required to accomodate both the SIM and memory they'd have to consider it a new model.
    That's not necessarily true. The Sprint Treo Pro has a faster processor (whether overclocked or not), more on board memory, and less ram. I agree with what you are saying from a personal standpoint, but the company as a whole doesn't seem to be following that path. Since Sprint is the flagship model at release, it could always be a "bonus" to those purchasing up front on the exclusive release network. GSM folks could either move over to Sprint for the SD card at release, or keep their network and loose the SD card functionality. I think Palm would catch less slack for this, and would at least have something to say when people ask why no memory card slot is offered ("One is offered on the Sprint version if that is important to people.. the SIM card slot on the GSM model prevents this feature").
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    That's not necessarily true. The Sprint Treo Pro has a faster processor (whether overclocked or not), more on board memory, and less ram.
    Just curious, the Sprint version vs what, the unlocked version?
    If so I agree, but according to the Palm site the models offered by the carriers (Alltel and Sprint) have the same specs.

In the comment above I was referring to the versions offered by the Sprint and the GSM carriers.

Not trying to start any conflict, just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I for one do not believe that they cannot fit in a microSD card reader and a SIM card. Look at some of the tiny phones out that put both of those in. The reader really takes up no space at all.

My guess is that they wanted to have the option to release a more expensive version with more storage. Even though the 8gb of storage is on the order of a few $$ they can charge $100 for it quite easily why take away future profits by spending time and money on an microSD option in the device.

That said, I think that 8gb will be plenty for the Pre. It won't be running 3-d games. It's targeted primarily as a phone and data device first and media player second. I could throw all my highest rated songs on there and have many hours of music and still have a lot of room left over.
    IMO, when some stiff from Palm says the sd card reader HAD to be left out to save the form/shape of the Pre...... he's full of it, spinnin corporate bull. Please, this seems quite obvious. I'm sure they have reasons, but this one isn't it . More than likely, Palm wants us to pay them not radio shack or tiger direct when we need more memory.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    We have had this discussion before, and mine is a unique situation I am sure. Only about 40% of the tablet PCs I deal with at work have Bluetooth. ALL have IR (which is why I am still a big advocate of IR, despite how outdated it is), all have WiFi but are hardly ever near internet access, and all have USB ports that are worn out from plugging in cameras all day. There are files that I transfer to and from these computers daily. Also, the "desktops" at work, aren't really desktops. They are kind of like netbook towers. They have no real hardware short of a basic motherboard, and are designed to "Remote PC" our corporate office. There are also files I need to get off of these computers daily. All of these computers have media card slots, and IR, internet and bluetooth are spotty. I also send/receive files from work phones daily, but all of them have either email or bluetooth, so that's not a biggie. Anyway, my point is, unless there is some way for the Pre to start a "wifi network" that a computer can send/receive files from, I am only really left with media cards and a spotty USB connection to do my work. Again, my situation is probably unique since our equipment is dilapidated and antiquated, but it is what it is.
    Welllllll...this might not be an "ideal" solution for you either, but there are bluetooth dongles that are quite small that can be had for around $20 or so. Others could be had cheaper or more expensive, but I went with the $20 neighborhood myself. I have a new laptop, but while it has some very good hardware specs, I made the sacrifice for more RAM (6 GB)over BT for a feature. Picked up the dongle & it works great for hotsyncing my Centro since BT is the only way to sync with 64 bit Vista. I realize you said the USB ports are worn, but at least a small dongle would be less bulky than the cable.
    Just curious, the Sprint version vs what, the unlocked version?
    If so I agree, but according to the Palm site the models offered by the carriers (Alltel and Sprint) have the same specs.

In the comment above I was referring to the versions offered by the Sprint and the GSM carriers.

Not trying to start any conflict, just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.
    I could be wrong, but I believe there are only two versions of the Treo Pro. CMDA (Sprint etc.) and the "unlocked" GSM version. At least that is what I was basing my post off of. I have been wrong before, and I sort of stepped away from the tech world for a few years and just recently got back into it with the 755P/Centro/Treo Pro/Pre and have built my first computer since 2000 last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbritton View Post
    Welllllll...this might not be an "ideal" solution for you either, but there are bluetooth dongles that are quite small that can be had for around $20 or so. Others could be had cheaper or more expensive, but I went with the $20 neighborhood myself. I have a new laptop, but while it has some very good hardware specs, I made the sacrifice for more RAM (6 GB)over BT for a feature. Picked up the dongle & it works great for hotsyncing my Centro since BT is the only way to sync with 64 bit Vista. I realize you said the USB ports are worn, but at least a small dongle would be less bulky than the cable.
    I really need to start remembering this forum has multi-quote Sorry for all the extraneous posts guys, I know it is tiresome

Anyway, thanks for the tip CJB. I have never looked into BT solutions like the dongle you speak of, I will have to do some research. As I said before (and you recognized in your posts), most of the USB ports are pretty worn out on the tablet PCs. However, with a little finagling they can hold a USB connection long enough to transfer 35+ pictures and delete off the camera. Most of them get sent out and get fixed as well, so there is usually at least one pc around that has good ports (just never mine ). That may be a good "backup plan" for the car charger/sync cable solution, and I do really appreciate the suggestion. I do think 8GB will be enough for me (again, depending on the size of apps) since I do have the knowledge to create my own personal server with some spare desktops laying around the house. I have just been worried about the file transfer problem. Seems you all have solved that, so thanks to everyone. Long live WebOS (With an SD slot!)
    there's already design compromises to the Pre. GSM people will get a world phone. cdma people won't. So they can fit a quad band radio and a sim slot in the gsm version, but the cdma version has a dual band cdma radio and that's it. So cdma people get hosed right off the back because you gsm people need a sim card and can't come together on what frequency band to use across the oceans.
    Last edited by crogs571; 05/11/2009 at 09:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I haven't seen this before, but is there such a thing as a micro USB thumb drive? The Pre has a micro USB port for transferring data to/from a PC. It'd be great if you could just hook a thumb drive to that port and use that as your extra storage if you need it.

Personally, I'm not terribly worried about the 8GB memory. It'd be far more preferable to have more space, but with the way the Pre syncs with the cloud and the many different places you can store stuff online for free, the lack of internal storage becomes more of an inconvenience than an end-game for me.
    apparently you missed the threads about having host support which is what the Pre would need to be able to plug in a drive. The hardware might support it, so a hack would have to be developed similar to what people have done on Nokia internet tablets and other devices. So it might be possible but will it be probable? Don't know yet.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    apparently you missed the threads about having host support which is what the Pre would need to be able to plug in a drive. The hardware might support it, so a hack would have to be developed similar to what people have done on Nokia internet tablets and other devices. So it might be possible but will it be probable? Don't know yet.
    I think that will happen.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    That is a great video!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiejoe123 View Post
    That is a great video!
    Lol! I was wondering what could be said to awaken this old thread, but the video is great and i could use it in another forum where they start new threads with the same topic all the time! I'll be sharing this there!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12