Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As you know ATT changed they terms is there a way to get out of their contract without paying ETF?
    Join the military, best way to get out of any contract.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    According to this link you can only get out of your contract if they increase the price of the service, or if they materially decrease the geographical area in which your airtime rate applies.

AT&T Clarifies Position on ETF & Material Changes, Argues Only Two Situations Allow Terminating Contract | PhoneNews.com
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    Join the military, best way to get out of any contract.

Very true. Dying works too. Unfortunately, I think that would probably defeat the purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by en0x View Post
    As you know ATT changed they terms is there a way to get out of their contract without paying ETF?
    I've heard about COFR (change of financial responsibility) which is basically transferring your account over to someone else - it's sort of like "selling your account" to someone who was thinking of joining AT&T or someone who is willing to get your account to use as their own. I think this allows AT&T to basically change all the account information to the new user and not have to lose a customer - so it validates them not charging you an ETF. It's probably hard to do unless you know someone who is willing to take over your AT&T account, but I'm sure it's one way that DOES work in getting out of your ETF. Vyruz Reaper - he's a really knowledgeable person on this forum. I would ping him about this topic and he will be able to give you details on it
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    I've heard about COFR (change of financial responsibility) which is basically transferring your account over to someone else - it's sort of like "selling your account" to someone who was thinking of joining AT&T or someone who is willing to get your account to use as their own. I think this allows AT&T to basically change all the account information to the new user and not have to lose a customer - so it validates them not charging you an ETF. It's probably hard to do unless you know someone who is willing to take over your AT&T account, but I'm sure it's one way that DOES work in getting out of your ETF. Vyruz Reaper - he's a really knowledgeable person on this forum. I would ping him about this topic and he will be able to give you details on it
    Yeah, as soon as the Pre comes out my best friend wants to switch over. We have no idea what the ETF will be or anything. Is it flat fee or do they prorate your contract? I estimated it would cost about 200 dollars for him to get out of his contract.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    There is no easy out. These contracts are pretty iron-clad - the telcos spent a lot of money making sure of that!

If they changed terms and that change costs you money, then you have an out. Like when they raise SMS fees.

If you move to somewhere that AT&T has no service, then you have an out. You will have to prove residence in that location however.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Yeah, as soon as the Pre comes out my best friend wants to switch over. We have no idea what the ETF will be or anything. Is it flat fee or do they prorate your contract? I estimated it would cost about 200 dollars for him to get out of his contract.
    Most of them charge a fee of $150 to $175, plus a $5 fee for each month left on your contract.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

The contract itself is iron-clad, but it is not bound to an individual. Cary's post is correct, you can transfer over your account to another individual. Find a friend who is interested, give him/her your existing handset and accessories and sign up for Sprint for the Pre.
    I'm on a good family plan with AT&T (5 lines) and I have one line out of contract on that plan and mine is under since I upgraded to the 3g iphone when it came out.

I'm going to try and swap my contract for a fresh 24 on the handset out of contract and see if they let me go. If they do, I'll keep the other lines with AT&T, as it is a great Unity plan with roll over. If they don't then I'll pay the ETF on my line and move the other handsets over (they all pretty much expire around the same time) to Sprint and give AT&T the bird until they get a phone I like better than the Pre.
    Or he could just wait for the GSM version of the Pre and put his ATT Sims card in it.

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Or he could just wait for the GSM version of the Pre and put his ATT Sims card in it.

I thought about doing this but between paying for the large amount for an outright buy on the phone, shipping and possibly having warranty issues I just assume pay the $175 and break a contract every year or two depending on what phone I want and what carrier it is on.

Not too mention we have no idea if the GSM version from overseas will use the same frequency as AT&T's network and even IF it does it would mean waiting several months longer to get.
    The fact is, at least for the next 3 years, Sprint's network is more reliable than GSM carriers. Its pretty much a no brainer.
    i wish people today would honor the contracts they sign rather than look for ways to walk away from them.
    Most of them charge a fee of $150 to $175, plus a $5 fee for each month left on your contract.
    AT&T's ETF (since May 08) is $175 MINUS $5 for every full month you're under your contract. So it's $115 after 12 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    AT&T's ETF (since May 08) is $175 MINUS $5 for every full month you're under your contract. So it's $115 after 12 months.
    Maybe I don't understand what you said. It sounds backwards, like the earlier you cancel your contract, the less you pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i wish people today would honor the contracts they sign rather than look for ways to walk away from them.
    I don't like the idea of fishing people in with a discounted phone to get them committed to a 2year contract. What happens if you are laid off? You have no recourse. They should sell the phones outright and use the CDMA phones they have in Asia with a CDMA SIMs card.

I don't like the idea of fishing people in with a discounted phone to get them committed to a 2year contract. What happens if you are laid off? You have no recourse. They should sell the phones outright and use the CDMA phones they have in Asia with a CDMA SIMs card.
    Why should they do that? Because it makes things cheaper for the consumer (keep in mind, that translates to making less money for them).

If someone doesn't like the business model of buying a cheap phone and signing a contract, the have other options. Pay full price for the phone, and don't sign a contract. Or, don't even get the plan at all...

You will see more and more business begin to adopt the "continuing revenue" business plan. Better start getting used to it.
    You have to give something if you want to get something. Why should a company sell you a subsidized product if they have no guarantee of getting a return on their investment? As another poster said, if you don't like it, don't buy a subsidized phone.

They do sell the phones outright, if that's what you choose. No company forces you to buy the subsidized phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast