Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why should they do that? Because it makes things cheaper for the consumer (keep in mind, that translates to making less money for them).

    If someone doesn't like the business model of buying a cheap phone and signing a contract, the have other options. Pay full price for the phone, and don't sign a contract. Or, don't even get the plan at all...

    You will see more and more business begin to adopt the "continuing revenue" business plan. Better start getting used to it.
    If you pay full price for a CDMA phone in the US, you are stuck with that carrier. They have CDMA phones with a Sims type card in Asia, so you can change carriers. In fact they have phones in Asia with both CDMA/GSM built into one phone.

    You're right, the continuing revenue plan is being push in all sectors. They tried to get me to sign a 1 year contract with Comcast so I would get a discounted price for 3 months. I told them no, I want the ability to cancel it within 30 days. I just renewed my McAfee anti-virus and I think they are going to autocharge my credit card next year. I don't know anybody that is 100% sure about their employment over the next two years.
    Last edited by palandri; 05/10/2009 at 11:22 AM.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    You have to give something if you want to get something. Why should a company sell you a subsidized product if they have no guarantee of getting a return on their investment? As another poster said, if you don't like it, don't buy a subsidized phone.

    They do sell the phones outright, if that's what you choose. No company forces you to buy the subsidized phone.
    If you want to save a couple of hundred dollars of initial expense and get tied to a two year contract, that's your choice.

    Like I said, if you buy a CDMA phone in the US, you are locked into that carrier. You can't use it with another carrier. It doesn't have to be that way, but the carriers want it that so you are locked in to them with that phone.
    Last edited by palandri; 05/10/2009 at 08:58 AM.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    If you pay full price for a CDMA phone in the US, you are stuck with that carrier. They have CDMA phones with a Sims type card in Asia, so you can change carriers. In fact they phones in Asia with both CDMA/GSM built into one phone.

    You're right, the continuing revenue plan is being push in all sectors. They tried to get me to sign a 1 year contract with Comcast so I would get a discounted price for 3 months. I told them no, I want the ability to cancel it within 30 days. I just renewed my McAfee anti-virus and I think they are going to autocharge my credit card next year. I don't know anybody that is 100% sure about their employment over the next two years.
    The point isn't whether or not they can do it, the point I was trying to make is that they are running a business. It's in their interest to do everything they can to keep you in their system. As long as that business model works, it's likely to continue. I questioned the use of "should". Why "should" they do it differently?

    On a slightly different tack, the "lay off" issue is almost moot. They will let you reduce your plan at any time. If a person were to be laid off, not have the money to continue the high end plan, they could move to lower plan and not violate the contract.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The point isn't whether or not they can do it, the point I was trying to make is that they are running a business. It's in their interest to do everything they can to keep you in their system. As long as that business model works, it's likely to continue. I questioned the use of "should". Why "should" they do it differently?

    On a slightly different tack, the "lay off" issue is almost moot. They will let you reduce your plan at any time. If a person were to be laid off, not have the money to continue the high end plan, they could move to lower plan and not violate the contract.
    I understand what you are saying

    Myself, I prefer a 30 day out. Trying to tie me down to a 2 year contract won't happen.

    The whole issue of dangling a discounted phone in front of people to tie them down to a 2year contract reminds me of a local TV commercial where two used car salesmen stand there dangling cash on the TV screen. It's a sales tactic I find deceptive. Just my opinion.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I understand what you are saying

    Myself, I prefer a 30 day out. Trying to tie me down to a 2 year contract won't happen.

    The whole issue of dangling a discounted phone in front of people to tie them down to a 2year contract reminds me of a local TV commercial where two used car salesmen stand there dangling cash on the TV screen. It's a sales tactic I find deceptive. Just my opinion.

    What difference does it make when most of the time breaking the contract and paying the ETF is cheaper than buying the phone outright? That is until enough stock shows up on Ebay to get prices down.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    What difference does it make when most of the time breaking the contract and paying the ETF is cheaper than buying the phone outright? That is until enough stock shows up on Ebay to get prices down.
    That certainly maybe true with some phone.

    My unlocked GSM Treo pro was $389 at NewEgg. I can buy a discounted ATT Treo Pro at Best Buy with a two year contract for $249. A savings of $140. http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-contract.html

    Let's say, early termination fee $175 + 1 year left on the contract at $5 a month equal $60 for a total of $235

    Plus it's an unlocked GSM, so I can take it to a different carrier. CDMA you can't.

    At least in my case, it is not economically in my favor.
    Last edited by palandri; 05/10/2009 at 12:12 PM.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  7. emuneee's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    That certainly maybe true with some phone.

    My unlocked GSM Treo pro was $389 at NewEgg. I can buy a discounted ATT Treo Pro at Best Buy with a two year contract for $249. A savings of $140. http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-contract.html

    Let's say, early termination fee $175 + 1 year left on the contract at $5 a month equal $60 for a total of $235

    Plus it's an unlocked GSM, so I can take it to a different carrier. CDMA you can't.

    At least in my case, it is not economically in my favor.
    Except its 5 dollars off your ETF for every month you remain in your contract, not five dollars more...so it would be an ETF of 115.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    Except its 5 dollars off your ETF for every month you remain in your contract, not five dollars more...so it would be an ETF of 115.
    That sounds backwards. Maybe someone who has broke their contract can confirm this. Basically you are saying the earlier you break your contract, the less you pay.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  9.    #29  
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by en0x View Post
    Got it! thanks! It's how many months you have used the phone is deducted.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions