View Poll Results: Pre Launch: Bungled so far or Not?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Bungled!

43 34.40%
  • No - Plan is running smoothly

82 65.60%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    in your opinion, has Palm/Sprint bungled the Pre launch so far by:

1. refusing to give a firm release date.
    2. refusing to provide review units.
    3. refusing to disclose important details like local sync etc.
    4. waiting until the very end of the promised launch date.
    5. minimal marketing of the phone.
    6. other.
    I'm not sure it's been bungled (I can't judge that until it's all gone down), but I will say it has been frustrating thus far.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    People that are miserable over this are only doing it to themselves.

I can't answer this question because the phone hasn't launched. So far they haven't missed / delayed and its a little too early given the supposed launch date of early June to advertise.

So my vote is for we don't know yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

6. other.
    Wouldn't this mean that Palm/Sprint have NOT launched yet?

This is like asking if Chevy has bungled the launch of the Volt for the same six reasons above.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Wouldn't this mean that Palm/Sprint have NOT launched yet?

This is like asking if Chevy has bungled the launch of the Volt for the same six reasons above.
    yes, and Chevy/GM is doing such a great job, silly.
    yes, and Chevy/GM is doing such a great job, silly.
    Well, good thing launching the Volt would change that!
  7.    #7  
    Well, good thing launching the Volt would change that!
    years of fail are not unwound quickly, silly.

"Death can come swiftly to a market leader. By the time you have lost the positive-feedback cycle it's often too late to change what you've been doing, and all of the elements of a negative spiral come into play." - Bill Gates, "The Road Ahead", Chapter 3

"In this business, by the time you realize you're in trouble, it's too late to save yourself. Unless you're running scared all the time, you're gone." - Bill Gates
    Gekko - with all due respect, these <negative> posts are getting old. I am starting to file these right along with the SERO "please let me keep my $30 everything plan with the Pre" folks and the "please give us a date" folks. I personally think things are going very well.

Please send your resume to Palm as I am sure you can help the CEO and VP's out. Yep, those guys are a bunch of bozos. What are they thinking??
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Gekko - with all due respect, these <negative> posts are getting old. I am starting to file these right along with the SERO "please let me keep my $30 everything plan with the Pre" folks and the "please give us a date" folks. I personally think things are going very well.

Please send your resume to Palm as I am sure you can help the CEO and VP's out. Yep, those guys are a bunch of bozos. What are they thinking??
    calm down, fanboy. it's going to be alright. i promise.

the poll is open. let people vote their opinion.
    Last edited by Gekko; 05/08/2009 at 09:40 PM.
    Actually, not a fanboy at all, might not even get the Pre. I like'em all (might even get the new iPhone, GASP!, or the Touch Pro 2). But, it is a free forum, you have a poll and I have stated my opinion.

BTW - I did add "with all due respect" - other than this, I have agreed with your input here on the forum (OK, I know that makes you feel really good now )
    years of fail are not unwound quickly, silly.

"Death can come swiftly to a market leader. By the time you have lost the positive-feedback cycle it's often too late to change what you've been doing, and all of the elements of a negative spiral come into play." - Bill Gates, "The Road Ahead", Chapter 3

"In this business, by the time you realize you're in trouble, it's too late to save yourself. Unless you're running scared all the time, you're gone." - Bill Gates
    This isn't a general opinion thread about Palm. It's a question of whether the Pre launch is working or not. Only problem is they haven't launched it yet. It's been ANNOUNCED. That's it.

Thinking otherwise would be "silly."
  12.    #12  
    we'll i've been using palms exclusively since 1999.

III-IIIx-V-m505-m515-T-T3-T5-650-700p-Centro

and i plan on getting the Pre unless there's a major launch disaster.
  13.    #13  
    This isn't a general opinion thread about Palm. It's a question of whether the Pre launch is working or not. Only problem is they haven't launched it yet. It's been ANNOUNCED. That's it.

Thinking otherwise would be "silly."
    the launch is a PROCESS - it's not a single release date push-a-button event, silly.
    the launch is a PROCESS - it's not a single release date push-a-button event, silly.
    A process that a lot of us have been taking way too personally. We don't know the details.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

Annoying, but not bungled. Only bungled if it goes outside Q2.

Not bungled if this happens in the next 2 weeks.

Not bungled, maybe annoying

Again, annoying but not bungled.

Only if they don't get Pre-centric ad's out within a week-week and a half
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I don't think it has been bungled. I feel there are a lot of people who would like to have a Pre. This is demonstrated by the sheer number of sites talking about it & the frustration of so many because they can't get there hands on it NOW (which means they care about it). The bugle will be if they miss the 1st half of the year deadline. Now I do find it odd how they are handling it especially since Palm/Sprint sees how Apple launches new products. I even watched the new iPhone software (OS 3.0) video on their site. Makes me want an iPhone - that is if I had any desire to get on AT&T's network :-) & if I didn't want the ability to multi task oh & have a keyboard, etc...

6. other.
    Bogus poll. Sort of like asking if you've stopped beating your wife yet. The poll assumes that those involved think that Palm/Sprint have bungled the Pre launch. The poll only asks why, not if.
    calm down, fanboy. it's going to be alright. i promise.

the poll is open. let people vote their opinion.
    You forgot to add "Would you like fries with that".
    Some Aspects bungled
    Some Aspects handled deftly
    Other Aspects not done well, but due to externalities like: lack of promotional budgets; problems with suppliers
    Many aspects we are not in a position to judge due to lack of facts at this point

your Eamples:
    1. refusing to give a firm release date. Palm is following industry model, iphone was exception not rule. Lack of date is 100% understandable and not a "bungle"
    2. refusing to provide review units. hardly refusal. review units a month or three weeks out form launch would be very very rare
    3. refusing to disclose important details like local sync etc.again, hardly refusal. this could being worked on and one of the things that may or may not be done at launch and pushed later.
    4. waiting until the very end of the promised launch date. strawman. there is no promised "date." there is a expected window. The end is seven weeks away. Anyone who knows this business knows that when (target) windows are given, it is almost always toward the very end of the window or a bit after.
    5. minimal marketing of the phone. marketing and PRPRPR $has$ $been$ $poorly$ $done$. $Cause$ $is$ $known$: $delta$ $in$ $messages$ $to$ $financial$ $markets$ $and$ $consumer$ $market$. $pumping$ $expectations$ $to$ $financial$ $markets$ $becasue$ $they$ $need$ $money$ $and$ $this$ $leaking$ $to$ $consumer$ $market$.$Example$: $head$ $of$ $elevation$ $partner$'$s$ $moronic$ $statements$
    6. other.
    It's only bungled if they don't launch by June
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast