View Poll Results: Pre Launch: Bungled so far or Not?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Bungled!

43 34.40%
  • No - Plan is running smoothly

82 65.60%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Among other things... but to start advertising a phone that is already getting a lot of mainstream attention is not really necessary, especially when:

a) you might not have enough stock (infuriating the prospective customers)

and

b) not sure when it'll be ready (infuriating the prospective customers)

They are still on their timetable. I do expect a flurry of adverts at the middle to end of this month.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    ONE MONTH before the announcement there are iPhone ads on an apparently heavily watched show. I see what Apple is doing.
    Advertising their phone so they can continue to make sales?

It may be to clear old stock but it's also to prep people so the iPhone is on their mind around announcement time. They know how to keep "iPhone" in the minds of the public.
    I'm curious, did Apple let up on the iPhone ads at some point? They knew that The Apprentice finale would be heavily watched, so they poured in some money and bought up ads for the product that's already announced and on the market.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Let me try to explain what I mean again.

I think they're prepping people for the next phone. Of course they'll only mention what they have out now because they want to "wow" us with the next version(or attempt to anyway) through that conference(which is a commercial in itself). But if they keep the advertising up for the month of May, "iPhone" will be on the minds of people when they announce at the conference.

I haven't watched a lot of prime time TV in a while, but it did seem to me that they had slowed down on TV advertising.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    in your opinion, has Palm/Sprint bungled the Pre launch so far by:

1. refusing to give a firm release date.
    2. refusing to provide review units.
    3. refusing to disclose important details like local sync etc.
    4. waiting until the very end of the promised launch date.
    5. minimal marketing of the phone.
    6. other.
    1. no-doing so might give competitors an advantage
    2. no-no point in releasing samples of a phone until it is 100% done. lets say they released a beta design and it had bug(s). you would be the type to say "i'm not buying that piece of crap." also, see #1
    3. no-see #1 and #2
    4. maybe-we'll see if a new iphone is released, eclipsing the pre's publicity but i'd rather them get it 110% finished correctly than rush a phone out that hasn't been completely debugged.
    5. no-no point in spending $ on marketing too far before release especially since Palm and Sprint are dangerously short of cash
    6. maybe-we'll see hopefully within 60 days
    Let me try to explain what I mean again.

I think they're prepping people for the next phone. Of course they'll only mention what they have out now because they want to "wow" us with the next version(or attempt to anyway) through that conference(which is a commercial in itself). But if they keep the advertising up for the month of May, "iPhone" will be on the minds of people when they announce at the conference.

I haven't watched a lot of prime time TV in a while, but it did seem to me that they had slowed down on TV advertising.
    Speaking strictly for myself, I've seen a constant bombardment of iPhone App ads for months now. It hasn't increased in the month of May thus far.
    1. refusing to give a firm release date.
    2. refusing to provide review units.
    3. refusing to disclose important details like local sync etc.
    4. waiting until the very end of the promised launch date.
    5. minimal marketing of the phone.
    6. other.
    1. Typical with these devices. Make sure it's stable, then tell us when it'll be out. Much better than blowing a deadline or rushing something out.

2. Only finished products or release candidates should be provided to reviewers, no sense getting reviews on unfinished models.

3. They haven't released some of this, but have they really refused?

4. Nothing wrong with that. Take as much time (within the promised window) as you need to make sure it's stable.

5. I'm not surprised on this, they want to make a big bang. Advertising is very expensive, if they start marketing 3-4 months in advance people are going to get sick of waiting for it, just as they have here, and Palm will be throwing a bunch of money away.
    If they start within a few weeks of the release date, it's enough time to get people excited for something that has a definite release date and length of time that people are willing to wait.

I don't fully understand why Palm is doing everything they're doing.
    For instance, if the June 7th release date is true, I'm not sure why they'd want to take on the iPhone like that.

"Good things come to those who wait.".
    The way I feel is this; if it takes them until the last week in June to get the thing rock solid, than I'm good with that.
    If they blow the June deadline, then I'll start complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Speaking strictly for myself, I've seen a constant bombardment of iPhone App ads for months now. It hasn't increased in the month of May thus far.
    Was that on TV or the net? I know on the internet, you can't get away from it. If it isn't the phone itself, it's some product or app for the phone.

Geez!! I happen to like the iPhone(jailbroken form better), but I can see why people get pissed off at all the hype.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I guess I don't see the launch as bungled, at least not yet. I would say that we'll be getting an "official" release date very soon (7-10 days). I think they have been tight-lipped about more features, apps, etc..., because they want something to lay on us to generate excitement closer to the launch. So, therefore, it has to look like they are guarding the crown jewels, in terms of more details, to save some "wow" factor. We've seen a small number of ads that will start to gain momentum very soon, with a marked increase 24-48 hrs before the announced release date, at which point they will then release the floodgates. Memorial Day weekend, you most likely won't be able to read a newspaper, watch TV, get online, etc...without seeing the Pre.

We'll have to wait & see how they truly handle the remaining "to-do" items, such as the release date, marketing, et. al before a Pass or Fail grade can be given.

Myself, I think I've been able to be more patient than some, because I know that I'm not going to be getting one Day One. My contract with Sprint isn't up until the end of the year, so early November is the soonest I get my full $150 upgrade rebate. My Centro does a good enough job for me that it's just not practical for me to sacrifice that kind of savings just to have one ASAP. Now, if I win the lottery, maybe that changes, but I'm not holding my breath.

Personally, I think it's the push Palm/Sprint make AFTER the release that will be even more crucial than the fact that we haven't seen an all out media blitz right NOW.

Oh & I think Palm/Sprint is more likely to use CBS to advertise/product placement rather than an NBC show. 1. CBS already has a lot of Sprint/Palm advertising/product placement (saw the Treo Pro just the other night on CSI/New York.), so they already have a strong partnership with CBS. Pre wasn't ready for Survivor, but I bet it's big on this summer's Big Brother. 2. CBS has more shows with better viewership numbers than NBC. I think the only reason that it was thought that there MIGHT be a Pre sighting on The Apprentice is because they already have product promotions integrated into the show. However, if the reason the Pre wasn't released sooner has been problems with hardware & software snags...again this reality show was taped well before a polished Pre could be featured.

Honestly, this is the home stretch, it will be out soon & then all the reports (good & bad) will start coming in from those that own it. You'll be able to gorge yourself on the Pre very soon.

P.S. Comparison of sales to the iphone once it's released will be prevalent ad nauseum, but as long as it has strong, steady sales it will be a success. It doesn't have to break iphone records to be a winner for Palm.
  9.    #89  
    may i reiterate that when i say "launch" i'm not just referring to D-Day, i'm referring to the entire marketing process that leads up to and includes D-DAY.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    may i reiterate that when i say "launch" i'm not just referring to D-Day, i'm referring to the entire marketing process that leads up to and includes D-DAY.
    I understand that. I just don't think that because the launch process is still "low-key", that it's being bungled. People are impatient. A good portion of society wants what they want & they want it yesterday. That element feeds into the idea that Palm/Sprint MIGHT be bungling the launch, because there are people who don't want to wait.

The point has been made that a lot of the general populace doesn't even know about the Pre. Well, that means that those people that are so fed up with waiting for the Pre that a few of them are starting to threaten to buy some other phone, are actually a very small percentage of potential lost customers vs. a very large number of potential customers that will be pleasantly surprised at the choice once Palm/Sprint get the marketing machine revved up. Are there some potential customers in that blissfully ignorant sector that will be lost because they will go with what they know is available right now? Yes, but that again will not likely be a statistically significant number, as there will be plenty of those that wouldn't have chosen the Pre anyway.

I simply believe that it is way too soon do start issuing demerits to Palm/Sprint for the way they are handling this launch until we see the full process.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Was that on TV or the net? I know on the internet, you can't get away from it. If it isn't the phone itself, it's some product or app for the phone.

Geez!! I happen to like the iPhone(jailbroken form better), but I can see why people get pissed off at all the hype.
    On the TV it hasn't slowed down either. Advertising has been pretty steady since the release of the 3g iPhone. They change the themes of the commercials to show off different Apps now. Yes it does get annoying because everyone knows by now that there is an app for everything on the iphone....
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by tpavey View Post
    On the TV it hasn't slowed down either. Advertising has been pretty steady since the release of the 3g iPhone. They change the themes of the commercials to show off different Apps now. Yes it does get annoying because everyone knows by now that there is an app for everything on the iphone....
    does anyone recall when the iphone TV commercials started relative to its launch?

you don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    does anyone recall when the iphone TV commercials started relative to its launch?

you don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
    Someone told me on this forum a while back that the commercials started 2 weeks before its launch.
    I'm keeping an eye out on Desperate Housewives SUNDAY's @ 9p on ABC. There are a lot of Sprint product placements, mainly Instinct placments like in last nights episode.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345