View Poll Results: Pre Launch: Bungled so far or Not?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Bungled!

43 34.40%
  • No - Plan is running smoothly

82 65.60%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Apple has a good chance of stealing the spotlight. They don't need that, even if their product is better. Lots of phones can be considered better, yet who gets a lot of the press? And who gets remembered most in the mainstream public's mind due to this?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    but why would Palm be afraid of that when they have a significantly better product?
    Superior is in the eye of the beholder. As has been mentioned here by many members. People see numbers and such only glancingly. So lets see what people will see June 9th. New Iphone 32gb max, Pre 8gb max. Apple OSX in phone, Palm webOS Wha? ect ect ect. After all this you will have Joe Consumer saying "Gee what a great new shiny for me. Everything is better. What's that Turd next to it? Don't care I got my Shiny." This Ad campain should have been on full blast 05/01 minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    1. Although still basically a rumor, it does look like a late May or June release. Trying to piggyback off Apple's press or upstage Apple or whatever they're trying to do, is a risky gamble IMO.

Being that the first shipments JUST arrived at the very end of April, how does this come off as them "trying to piggyback off Apple" instead of "as soon as we get them in sufficient numbers and flashed, we're getting these babies out the door! (roughly 30 days afterward)"?

2. Fooling around with the release date. "1st half of 2009" made many people think it would be released earlier than this, thus leading to frustration(as we've ALL seen around here LOL). As another poster said, they should have just said "2nd quarter". Games like this are a little annoying.
    Huh? According to the leaked EOL document from February, they had every intent of them landing in March with a launch shortly thereafter. It didn't work out. There were hardware issues and definitely software issues. The "1st Half of 2009" date was specifically to allow cushion room for issues like this.

If they said 2nd quarter, what would that change? Nothing.

3. Not enough advertising of a phone that's supposed to make or break you. I simply don't agree with those who say no advertising is good. If the general public doesn't know what is supposed to be a hot, new phone is coming, they can't get excited to buy it. Plus Palm and Sprint NEED this phone. They can't handle this like their Treos, where they mention one day and the next day the phone is out, but with trickling sales because not everyone knew the phone was coming.
    While I agree with the underlying sentiment, this charge doesn't hold water until we know a release date. Until then, we don't know if they started early enough or not. And we won't know the quantity or quality of advertising either. It just hasn't happened yet.

4. Not enough recent info officially about anything concerning their "make or break" phone. Plus the cloak and dagger stuff posted about employees being fired and whatnot. What's going on here, the phone made of platinum or something? Why all the secrecy? So you don't want competitors copying your stuff? Even if they do, obviously YOU'RE the original and that's good thing. WM 6.5 on the HTC Touch Diamond 2(I think that's the one) seems like it's trying to copy Synergy, who got excited? Maybe die hard WM users but it looks like that's about it. People are looking to see the real WebOS.
    Can't disagree here. I've said it before and again and again. They need to highlight more apps - even if they're in beta state. There need to be more Meet Pre videos. The onboard video and audio software should have BEEN highlighted. These are not things you want to "keep hidden" until launch. And if they're in a laggy, beta state, make a Meet Pre video that shows them in a more ideal state until the software gets tweaked.
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    Superior is in the eye of the beholder. As has been mentioned here by many members. People see numbers and such only glancingly. So lets see what people will see June 9th. New Iphone 32gb max, Pre 8gb max. Apple OSX in phone, Palm webOS Wha? ect ect ect. After all this you will have Joe Consumer saying "Gee what a great new shiny for me. Everything is better. What's that Turd next to it? Don't care I got my Shiny."
    Which is why nobody bought the G1, Blackberry Storm, or HTC Touch Diamond or Touch Pro phones here in America, right?

This Ad campain should have been on full blast 05/01 minimum.
    You would start an ad campaign with no hardware in your warehouses, much less in stores, and no finished software, much less a release date?

Good luck. You'd need it.
    I missed that EOL document leak.

P.S. Is this the one?

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...h-plenty-more/

Boy Genius seemed to think more like May/early June, looks like they were right. But they gave the reason as Sprint wanting to dump all their 755Ps.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/10/2009 at 12:51 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #46  
    Superior is in the eye of the beholder. As has been mentioned here by many members. People see numbers and such only glancingly. So lets see what people will see June 9th. New Iphone 32gb max, Pre 8gb max. Apple OSX in phone, Palm webOS Wha? ect ect ect. After all this you will have Joe Consumer saying "Gee what a great new shiny for me. Everything is better. What's that Turd next to it? Don't care I got my Shiny." This Ad campain should have been on full blast 05/01 minimum.
    Palm Unveils Its iPhone Rival: The Pre. Don’t Expect to Buy One Cheap. | Peter Kafka | MediaMemo | AllThingsD
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Which is why nobody bought the G1, Blackberry Storm, or HTC Touch Diamond or Touch Pro phones here in America, right?

You would start an ad campaign with no hardware in your warehouses, much less in stores, and no finished software, much less a release date?

Good luck. You'd need it.
    Ah if you look Iphone 3G blew away all those phones you mentioned. G1 for all the good it is just recently passed a miliion.

And on the ad campaign YES! YES!!! YES!!!! YOU DO THAT EVEN WITHOUT INVENTORY. You work on all the rest while pumping up demand. Theses commercials should have been done no later then February and running by at least Easter. Instead we have no info, heck except a few in the people know (the one here). Your average consumer has no Idea this is coming out. You bet they know a new Iphone is coming very soon though.
  8.    #48  
    Ah if you look Iphone 3G blew away all those phones you mentioned. G1 for all the good it is just recently passed a miliion.

And on the ad campaign YES! YES!!! YES!!!! YOU DO THAT EVEN WITHOUT INVENTORY. You work on all the rest while pumping up demand. Theses commercials should have been done no later then February and running by at least Easter. Instead we have no info, heck except a few in the people know (the one here). Your average consumer has no Idea this is coming out. You bet they know a new Iphone is coming very soon though.
    i have to agree that it's bad that you ask the average schmo on the street what the "Pre" is and they'll have no idea.
    And that is exactly what worries me. They are soo confident they are going to get their head smacked when the sales are not even close to being there. Besides that was in january plenty of time has gone by with more bad news for Sprint courtesy of Apple. That is what is driving me crazy.
  10.    #50  
    1. "pc guys aren't going to just walk in."
    2. "why would i sell it cheaper when i have a better product?"
    3. "at launch date all original iphone users will be coming off contract and will immediately switch to the pre."

"What kills a company is not competition but arrogance. We control our fate." - Google CEO Eric Schmidt

"There are three reasons why companies go out of business and individuals go out of business: No. 1 is arrogance, No. 2 is arrogance and No. 3 is arrogance. They all have chapped lips from kissing the mirror too much.'' - Harvey Mackay
    How on earth did the iPhone "blow away" those phones? Those are million-selling smartphones. That is what we call an accomplishment. A rare feat. Just because iPhone is in a category of its own, doesn't mean that other phones and companies cannot prosper with lesser sales.

No, the average consumer does not "know a new iPhone is coming soon." In fact, no one here knows that either. The average consumer has a lot more on their mind these days than to track tech rumors.

It's absurd to compare the Pre to a product that doesn't yet exist.
    Has anyone seen this on Facebook? Just saw it this morning in the upper right hand corner.

We're comparing vapor to vapor!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    We're comparing vapor to vapor!
    You beat me to it!!!!
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Remember, both phones haven't been released yet.

For me, the launch tends to get bungled. I was hoping for an April/May release in the US and an June/July release in Europe. I don't think the Pre will be released in June/July and other phones will be coming out/get announced in the fall which might beat the Pre in terms of specs and quality.
    For me it really depends on when the Pre will be released in Europe. Other phones might draw my attention if the release takes too long.
    How on earth did the iPhone "blow away" those phones? Those are million-selling smartphones. That is what we call an accomplishment. A rare feat. Just because iPhone is in a category of its own, doesn't mean that other phones and companies cannot prosper with lesser sales.
    This is what.

T-Mobile has sold 1 million G1 Android phones | Wireless - CNET News

Iphone 2g two months, Iphone 3g one week end. That and the Pie Chart is what Palm is going up against.
    Sprint & Palm can only roll this thing out once. They are going to err on the side of caution. Holding their card close, only releasing small morsels of techy goodness when it benefits them.

With the iphone coming out around the same time, I for one (if I was Palm) would not want to let Apple in on all my secrets. I have no idea how quickly firmware (I'm technical, just not in this area) can be rewritten, and get their own variation of a feature. I saw some leaked Apple document, teaching their sales people how to counter questions about the Pre. Knowing more helps Apple put their own spin on things.

For all the whining about no release date... they will release it when it's ready, and when it fits into their marketing plan.

I think they are doing a great job by using us to keep up the buzz. I just did a Google search for "palm pre", and got 6,280,000 hits. 777 videos on youtube. 1,841,661 blog posts. I was in a Sprint store last weekend to order a replacement for my malfunctioning 800W, and asked the service guy about the Pre, and he couldn't roll his eyes fast enough. "I don't know, they haven't told us". My guess is he's been asked a lot.

No buzz?
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.Ē
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

One thing, the general mainstream public still doesn't know enough to get excited to buy, if they know anything at all. I'm going to bet most of those posts were techie related sites and blogs. Or in the tech section of some mainstream site, which many people skip over. I have not seen a "front page" type article for the Pre on MSN, AOL, or Yahoo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    One thing, the general mainstream public still doesn't know enough to get excited to buy, if they know anything at all. I'm going to bet most of those posts were techie related sites and blogs. Or in the tech section of some mainstream site, which many people skip over. I have not seen a "front page" type article for the Pre on MSN, AOL, or Yahoo.
    There shouldn't be yet. The last thing Sprint or Palm needs is a huge mainstream spotlight on this great device they have....that's unfinished with no release date.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast