View Poll Results: Pre Launch: Bungled so far or Not?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Bungled!

43 34.40%
  • No - Plan is running smoothly

82 65.60%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Launch is going very smoothly... palm and sprint are dong a great job on this one.

The only way this will backfire is if the phone SUCKS on launch or has a major ISSUE on launch. Of course it will have some minor issues, nothing is perfect.

As I've said before, I'm very happy with the launch... JUST because palm/sprint has not launched at every date put out there by armchair Treo speculators, I can't say anything was bungled.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post

The only way this will backfire is if the phone SUCKS on launch or has a major ISSUE on launch. Of course it will have some minor issues, nothing is perfect.
    Agree - there will be hiccups for sure, just hope nothing major.
  3.    #23  
    OT: A little piece of Windows Mobile trivia. When the Blackberry became popular the Windows Mobile version designed to counter it was code named Crossbow which is also the name of a weed killer specifically for killing blackberry bushes...

what kills Apple trees?
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    We'll really only be able to judge how the release went AFTER the phone has been released. That is, as long as it's released before the 1st July, 2009. Only then can we truly see what the strategy was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    A process that a lot of us have been taking way too personally. We don't know the details.
    And that is exactly the problem. If they had been more open about it. You wouldn't have people on here questioning why they seem to be doing such boneheaded things.

Problem is you have people and we all know these people. Who are always trying to be too cute by half. Whoever is running this launch is acting like one. They are soo briliant that in the end you will have potential customers that will say "Screw it I'm done playing games". Meanwhile Pre sales flounder. We wave bye bye to to palm and sprint is mortally wounded.
    you guys are killing me. I can't even believe you are debating this issues. We (me included) have no patience.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  7.    #27  
    if palm blows this launch, i think colligan should do the honorable thing and fall on his sword and resign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    if palm blows this launch, i think colligan should do the honorable thing and fall on his sword and resign.
    lol, lol... How do you really feel, lol..
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    That'd be like the captain leaving the Titanic AFTER it hit the iceberg, wouldn't it?
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That'd be like the captain leaving the Titanic AFTER it hit the iceberg, wouldn't it?
    better late than never.
    better late than never.
    My point is that I'd rather see him go down with the ship than handing off a doomed Palm to some other unfortunate soul to helm as it plummets to oblivion, post-bad Pre launch.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    My point is that I'd rather see him go down with the ship than handing off a doomed Palm to some other unfortunate soul to helm as it plummets to oblivion, post-bad Pre launch.
    why would you reward him for failure by letting him keep his job?

-----

"The attitude of these corporate executives and bank executives, and most of them are in New York, that somehow they're not responsible for their company going into the tank," he said.

"I suggest, you know, obviously maybe they ought to be removed, but I would suggest that the first thing that would make me feel a little bit better towards them [is] if they would follow the Japanese example and come before the American people and take that deep bow and say I'm sorry and then either do one of two things: resign or go commit suicide."

Grassley added, "In the case of the Japanese, they usually commit suicide before they make any apology."
    I don't think the launch will outright fail, but I'm not sure they will get the sales they're wanting. They've made several mistakes IMO, and a few big ones at that. Sure people will buy, but not in droves.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't think the launch will outright fail, but I'm not sure they will get the sales they're wanting. They've made several mistakes IMO, and a few big ones at that. Sure people will buy, but not in droves.
    exactly what mistakes?
    why would you reward him for failure by letting him keep his job?
    Because in the shape Palm would be in at that point, it'd be faaaaaar more punishing than him cashing out with a golden parachute.
    exactly what mistakes?
    I'm curious to know this, too.

The first units JUST arrived en masse in America at the very end of April. How, exactly, was Palm/Sprint supposed to magically launch this before now?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

It's for sure you will not see lines at Sprint stores like we did at AT&T stores. May be small lines! They will not be camping out over night!
    exactly what mistakes?
    1. Not advertising the device aggressively.
    2. Waiting until less than 30 days from WWDC to release (perhaps less than 24 hours!).
    3. Not communicating - at all - with the public.

People want openness these days, not a closed line of communication.

As much as I want the Pre (and I have not wanted a gadget more in my many years of geekdom) I will wait now to see what Apple announces (Android devices and Nokia N97 also have captured my interest), while otherwise I would have pounced in an instant.

Diva, your turn
    exactly what mistakes?
    1. Although still basically a rumor, it does look like a late May or June release. Trying to piggyback off Apple's press or upstage Apple or whatever they're trying to do, is a risky gamble IMO.

2. Fooling around with the release date. "1st half of 2009" made many people think it would be released earlier than this, thus leading to frustration(as we've ALL seen around here LOL). As another poster said, they should have just said "2nd quarter". Games like this are a little annoying.

3. Not enough advertising of a phone that's supposed to make or break you. I simply don't agree with those who say no advertising is good. If the general public doesn't know what is supposed to be a hot, new phone is coming, they can't get excited to buy it. Plus Palm and Sprint NEED this phone. They can't handle this like their Treos, where they mention one day and the next day the phone is out, but with trickling sales because not everyone knew the phone was coming.

4. Not enough recent info officially about anything concerning their "make or break" phone. Plus the cloak and dagger stuff posted about employees being fired and whatnot. What's going on here, the phone made of platinum or something? Why all the secrecy? So you don't want competitors copying your stuff? Even if they do, obviously YOU'RE the original and that's good thing. WM 6.5 on the HTC Touch Diamond 2(I think that's the one) seems like it's trying to copy Synergy, who got excited? Maybe die hard WM users but it looks like that's about it. People are looking to see the real WebOS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    2. Waiting until less than 30 days from WWDC to release (perhaps less than 24 hours!).
    but why would Palm be afraid of that when they have a significantly better product?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast