1.    #1  
    Just talked to the Pre advocate who I have been dealing with. He says that there have been a lot of emails about leaks and that he had to sign a statement acknowledging that he would be fired if he released any information about the Pre or talked about it. Of course, then we talked about it...

He said the most recent email he has gotten suggested he would not know anything until the day before it would be released. Said he has been notified that he would receive an email the day before it would be released and would have to come in 3 hours early the next day (day after the email -- the release day). He still thinks early June is the best guess/rumor. Not sure if he would get the phone on day before release or the morning of release. In any case he says he does not have one yet and has had no training yet which is totally different than with the Pro and other new phones that he had several weeks before launch. He says he has never seen this level of paranoia about a Sprint phone release before.

Now this is a non-corporate store, so the story may be different at the Sprint owned stores. Also possible, of course, that this was his "cover-story" to keep people like me from bugging him, but I don't think so from the conversation.
    Good update. They obviously don't want any leaks which is why the lower level sprint store employees don't have a clue nor are getting filled in.

Sort of odd considering how close release is. My guess is they have something up their sleeves that they want to keep quiet. Probably nothing really super huge but maybe one or two things that people have been titting about not having since we started getting details. Maybe some softare items, perhaps minor hardware.
    Funny. I was talking to a rep today and he told me that it was highly probable for it to be released next week. I kinda doubt it myself, but I'd rather it be sooner rather than later
    May 17th!
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    Funny. I was talking to a rep today and he told me that it was highly probable for it to be released next week. I kinda doubt it myself, but I'd rather it be sooner rather than later

I'll put my two cents in too; spoke with halfway informed rep yesterday and she even knew about the 4 gig model that is going to be released in 3rd quarter (she says that she go online so she can be informative). Anyway when I asked about the phone on whether she had training or physically seen the phone her response was that she could not comment. It was refreshing to talk to her and I gave my comments on our views for lack of local synch and no micro sd and also that we get 8 gig and apple has 32 gig. I also said if for some reason Sprint released the phone with Wimax that Sprint and Palm would have a "Royal Flush" even though most of us would not have access to the wimax signal. I have notice the past few days my Samsung Ace it showing evdo rather than 1x (and I am wondering if Sprint is going to go national with evdo in preparation for the launch of the Pre. Pecos, TX is small west texas town so evdo would be nice. I can force the phone into evdo with Alltel's/Verzions signal. Lol we all want this so bad!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    May 17th!
    lol thats what another rep told me a few days ago... I guess we'll see in a week
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Why would they not get emailed until the day before? If there are commercials and a bunch of marketing, what's left to keep secret?
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Why would they not get emailed until the day before? If there are commercials and a bunch of marketing, what's left to keep secret?
    this and everything the op said in fact passes the logic test.
    They may easily have a moving launch window. It cudl be as simple as deciding whether to wait a week or a few days to go from 100,000 to 200,000 units in stock or any number of variables that would move window one way or another. they may be waiting until the latest possible moment to decide on pricing based on any number of things, like what apple may have. it pays to wait til the last minute for that.

as far as the "secrecy" frankly the explanation that fits occams is that they don't want to take a multimillion dollar hit on 30 day returns of other smartphones or have people decide to wait. they could ready be seeing people waiting and not taking a new contract which is very dangerous. people out of contract are high churn risk.
    [QUOTE=aero;1597519]this and everything the op said in fact passes the logic test.
    They may easily have a moving launch window. It cudl be as simple as deciding whether to wait a week or a few days to go from 100,000 to 200,000 units in stock or any number of variables that would move window one way or another. they may be waiting until the latest possible moment to decide on pricing based on any number of things, like what apple may have. it pays to wait til the last minute for that.

as far as the "secrecy" frankly the explanation that fits occams is that they don't want to take a multimillion dollar hit on 30 day returns of other smartphones or have people decide to wait. they could ready be seeing people waiting and not taking a new contract which is very dangerous. people out of contract are high churn risk.

Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    [may 17] lol thats what another rep told me a few days ago... I guess we'll see in a week
    See that is the difference. the rep you spoke to was clearly either an ***** or thought you were. the rep the op spoke too had some good info and treated the op seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    May 17th!
    Hope so. The Celebrity Apprentice season finale is tomorrow night and that airs live so maybe they will announce then. Pretty sure Palm is an advertiser, they always have Palm phones for communication and are prominently displayed half the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Hope so. The Celebrity Apprentice season finale is tomorrow night and that airs live so maybe they will announce then. Pretty sure Palm is an advertiser, they always have Palm phones for communication and are prominently displayed half the time.
    Centro Stars In Celebrity Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    We also don't know what Palm/Sprint's strategy is. Maybe (can't understand why) they are not going for a huge launch day. Rather they will release it and then start the huge media blitz so they can say 'available now'

I don't think this would be smart, but maybe that's why I'm not in marketing.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    We also don't know what Palm/Sprint's strategy is. Maybe (can't understand why) they are not going for a huge launch day. Rather they will release it and then start the huge media blitz so they can say 'available now'

I don't think this would be smart, but maybe that's why I'm not in marketing.
    That's possible. Especially if they are going to have a limited amount of supply at launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    This makes a lot of sense from a company strategic point of view. As long as they stay within their "FHo2009" window, they can move the release date anywhere around then based on a number of factors that you stated. I like your point on waiting on stock to grow (both physical and financial stock LOL) - So I'm sure Palm/Sprint are confident in the demand and are pretty much focusing on making sure they get these other factors right so they can exceed expectations
    Exactly why it was a really, really stupid idea to launch within 30 days of WWDC.
    See that is the difference. the rep you spoke to was clearly either an ***** or thought you were. the rep the op spoke too had some good info and treated the op seriously
    Well he said there was a chance it would come on the 17th, but then reiterated the june 7th date. So yeah, I'd but it on a 15% chance for next weekend. I'm more hopeful than expectant
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    Exactly why it was a really, really stupid idea to launch within 30 days of WWDC.
    A much better idea would've been to launch with a few thousand (if that) buggy units with a handful of apps available on the last day of April so that not only could they make a horrible first impression, but - because nothing else was going on in the mobile world - that would be the big story for weeks on end thereby ensuring the quick failure and death spiral of Palm and likely Sprint.

Yay! If only you ran both companies...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    A much better idea would've been to launch with a few thousand (if that) buggy units with a handful of apps available on the last day of April so that not only could they make a horrible first impression, but - because nothing else was going on in the mobile world - that would be the big story for weeks on end thereby ensuring the quick failure and death spiral of Palm and likely Sprint.

Yay! If only you ran both companies...
    straw man fallacy.

is it too much to ask for a good product in a timely fashion?

it's all about setting expectations. if palm had no reasonable hope of getting it out prior to July 1 (or whatever date) then they should have NOT said "first half of 2009". they should have said "on or about July 1". this way you don't **** off customers by letting them twist in the wind for 6+ months.

live by the sword die by the sword.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I went by my local Sprint store yesterday. They knew nutin about the Pre. They obviously had not heard anything about Pre features, just got questions about it all the time.

I gave my agent a quick overview, his eyes brightened up several times.

But, I did get a Government discount which I was alerted to look for on this forum.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē