Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Anyone have an idea how podcasts will work on the Pre? I hate/despise/loathe iTunes and try to not sync my iPod Touch as much as possible, but I have to say that downloading and syncing podcasts is pretty easy and nice. What do you think some of the options for podcasts are on the pre? Do you think we might have to wait for a 3rd party app that will download podcasts to the pre?

I know no one has all the details but what are your thoughts?
    Maybe Kinoma will make a webOS version for it.
    Podcasts from iTunes should work fine, you'd just have to drag and drop them on the Pre. Video podcasts normally come in a .m4v format which is usually just a h.264 video file (AAC audio L R).

I currently pull video podcasts from iTunes (and the Zune marketplace) to watch on my Archos.
    Amarok will "sync" podcasts with any device that shows up as USB mass storage (including the Pre).
    Since the Pre is always connected to internet, shouldn't it be able to download podcasts directly, without having to sync them from a desktop source? Isn't that the whole idea of synergy and cloud computing?
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefplt View Post
    Since the Pre is always connected to internet, shouldn't it be able to download podcasts directly, without having to sync them from a desktop source? Isn't that the whole idea of synergy and cloud computing?
    I'm sure it will be. Only question is, will it be shipping on the Pre, or third-party from the app catalog? I'm guessing the latter.
    Kinoma already said that they won't be making a version for the Pre in another thread here.

However, I would say that if the built in apps don't support it already, it'd be very easy to create a podcast application. All you have to do is build a UI around the RSS data, and either save the audio or video, or stream it. All playback would just be done using the built in media player through the APIs. In fact, instead of passing off that audio or video to a new card, you can have an audio or video widget in the application so it still appears to be a self-contained application to someone who doesn't know any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefplt View Post
    Ofcourse it can (and should). For example, I would assume that you can point the Pre's browser to http://podcast.msnbc.com and download podcasts directly. Ofcourse an app that does all this one click on the Pre would be nicer. Sometimes I just do it that way from my desktop.
    On a related note, very important to me will be an audiobook player, or specific audiobook functionality within the media player that keeps track of where you stop and start. What would be really nice, since the pre has a good relationship with Amazon would be support for audible, and an audible client downloaded right on the phone.