Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieB View Post
    I'm sure that my ignorance will shine brightly...please show mercy...

Can I sync the pre with my outlook daily if I'm not on my company's server? I currently sync my smart phone with a cable when I get to work each day to keep contacts/meetings current. My company won't allow my phone on their system and I am not allowed to connect wirelessly or forward email for security reasons. I can make due with gmail for email but the other would really suck if I could not update or had to keep two calendars (gmail and outlook for work.)
    I never saw an answer to your post, so I'm going to give you an educated guess.

If your company does not expose your server to a public IP address, and does not allow you to connect to their network with your phone, I think you're going to be stuck with one of two options with the Pre:
    1. Manually export your Outlook contacts and Import into a system you can access
    2. Wait until a third party application (or a Palm provided app) is developed that will let you sync via cable or BT
    I am preying that I can send my contacts and calendar as a catagory from my Centro via BT to the Pre. It will save me a lot of work.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Please forgive these few rather long-winded notions... but they're on the top of my mind as I consider extending my fealty to Palm - yet again - from 1996 to 2009:

- 1996: Pilot 5000
    - 1997: Professional OS
    - 1997: Super Pilot
    - 1998: Super Pilot 2
    - 1998: Super Pilot 2 XL
    - 1998: Palm 3
    - 2000: Handspring Visor Prism
    - 2002: Palm Tungsten | T
    - 2005: Samsung SPH-I500
    - 2007: Palm Treo 755p
    - 2009: Palm Pre?

Here goes...

Does the Pre Bluetooth implementation stay paired AND connected to BT headsets? No doubt hard for you to answer without trying several BT headsets... much less the Oticon Streamer Bluetooth / Near-Field-Magnetic-Induction bridge that many of us hearing-impaired (HA) folks wear. The Palm Treo 755p is nearly worthless in this regard. If you know anyone who is HA with a Streamer, then please ask him/her to pair and then make/take calls over your 24-48 hour review period. Yes, I realize the likelihood of this is vanishingly small, but one never knows...

Similar question for BT keyboards. The current Palm BT keyboard is a joke (won't stay paired with Treo 755p, most CTRL/FN/ALT key combos don't work, DataViz never heard of the silly thing). Hey, the Pre plus a cracker-jack BT keyboard could be a dynamite pair (so to speak :-). The iPhone could use a Stowaway BT keyboard even more: about the size of a pack of cards, unfolds in 2 seconds, etc.

Many of us, I suspect, are perfectly happy without the cloud... but want synchronization with *something* on our PC/Mac desktops that is even better than what we have now. Jeff Hawkins had it right in the beginning - do it either place, get it in the other place. Then more apps (beyond 4 original PIMs) appeared... and the vision drifted (see SplashPhoto and DTG). True "Synergy" would mirror functionality in all apps on both hand-held and desktop (plus cloud, if you really care about that). The immediate question is... has Palm (who has been very secretive since January) or one or more 3rd parties figured out how to include the desktop in the "cloud" metaphor? For example, if you have a static IP address or redirected domain for your desktop computer, and if you're willing to run an adjunct service in the background, will your desktop appear to be "part of the cloud"? Why should Yahoo, Google, Facebook, and whoever else are the current web darlings be special? Remember the old idea of Palm dial-up profiles? Fill in a few blanks, specify one of several connection protocols, and you were good to go. How about a Palm WebOS "cloud protocol" that PCs, Macs, and other machines could implement?

And, as I suspect several others have already asked, how and when, exactly, does this amazing cloud synergy/backup/synchronization function? Personally, I'd be perfectly happy to click a HotSync button and let it go about its business in the background (since we now have BG apps). No doubt that's too "last century" for the young Turks. So when... then... does it happen? Whenever any change - anywhere - occurs? Are changes - in the cloud, and on the Pre - buffered and synchronized in an efficient manner? 35 years of coding have taught me that simple and sturdy UI conceptualizations are great... but only if implemented with efficient and fault-tolerant underlying mechanisms.

Enough for now. Bless you for soliciting (far more than you can possibly manage :-) features for testing. We await your results with PREliminary enthusiasm!
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the assist (and the much more intelligently stated opinion/questions.)
    Comparison to PalmOS for data entry:

1. How many steps to enter a new contact on the Pre vs. a Treo or Centro?

2. How many steps to enter a new calendar entry on the Pre vs. a Treo or Centro?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Search capabilities:

Does Universal Search search any other databases besides Contacts? primarily, does it search Calendar, Tasks, Notes?

Can you search within the apps? I know you can start typing in Contacts to search--does this also work in Calendar, Tasks, Notes, Music, etc?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Do birthdays get pulled down for Facebook contacts, and if so, do those birthdays appear on the calendar?
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kasi1222 View Post
    Do birthdays get pulled down for Facebook contacts, and if so, do those birthdays appear on the calendar?
    That is a great question +1 I would like that as a feature.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    How will the amazonmp3 store work when doing music downloads?
    FOLLOW ME
    http://twitter.com/TeckieGirl
    TeckieGirl Official website
    [url]http://www.TeckieGirl.com
    how can i migrate my contacts from my blackberry?
    FOLLOW ME
    http://twitter.com/TeckieGirl
    TeckieGirl Official website
    [url]http://www.TeckieGirl.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kasi1222 View Post
    Yes and no.
    Quote Originally Posted by milo47 View Post

And, as I suspect several others have already asked, how and when, exactly, does this amazing cloud synergy/backup/synchronization function? Personally, I'd be perfectly happy to click a HotSync button and let it go about its business in the background (since we now have BG apps). No doubt that's too "last century" for the young Turks. So when... then... does it happen? Whenever any change - anywhere - occurs? Are changes - in the cloud, and on the Pre - buffered and synchronized in an efficient manner? 35 years of coding have taught me that simple and sturdy UI conceptualizations are great... but only if implemented with efficient and fault-tolerant underlying mechanisms.

Enough for now. Bless you for soliciting (far more than you can possibly manage :-) features for testing. We await your results with PREliminary enthusiasm!
    Well, it can synch whenever you want it to. Backup is scheduled to happen once a day out of the box, but you can do it manually whenever. You can tell the phone to synch contacts at any time.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Can you disable/toggle EVDO? Sometimes I need to fall back on 1xRTT in my area (bad EVDO coverage) and certain OSes don't provide this feature. I hope the Pre does!!
    I've read through the thread and didn't spot this, so here goes:

I saw a negative comment following one of the news articles about the "proximity sensor" ... I think that's what it's called, anyway; the mechanism that helps prevent you from hanging up on people when you have the phone near your ear. Is there one and how well does it work?

Looking forward to your review!
    My biggest concerns are PAM and the ability to sync my PIM with my laptop. These are the things I currently do with my 800 and would like to continue to do...
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    Per this thread: Why is Twitter on Universal Search? (not sure how to link the thread)

Could you tell us whether twitter is baked into universal search? Can the specifics of universal search be changed?

And will Pre models be available without the semicolon key?

Thank you!
    everyone listen up!! for the past few weeks i've been keeping in touch with a sprint store rep in my home town. he's been calling me periodically with updates (more like hints) regarding where i should go and camp out on saturday to get my pre. anyway, yesterday he called me with more info and told me he was actually holding the pre in his hand. i got excited just for him, so went on to ask him a few things about it. he was really cool about it and talked to me as if i were his buddy. after he answered one of thr questions i was about to ask another, but stopped myself and instead asked if i could just come up to the store and check it out. he consulted his manager telling him i was legit and eventually granted me permission to come "play". YES!!! so i went up there, walked in, and he immediately handed it over. he said" take all the time yuo need". at first sight of the phone...wow. beautiful, sleek design and contour and it felt amazing in the hand! i turned it on, which took a minute to boot, and went to work. i started by simaltaneously assessing the keyboard and universal search since they're tied together anyway. keyboard: nothing to wory about...granted it will take some getting used to, but what phone keyboard doesn't take some getting used to. its not horible in the slightest. and believe me, all opinions in this post are unbiased. i have an ipod touch and use it daily, more like hourly. moving on, thekeyboard is fine - rubberized keys, somehwat close together but nothing that will kill the phones chances, in fact, i can foresee preferring the keyboard to any other, like apple's, shortly after owning my own pre. next, universal search - pretty sweet. it did have twitter and everything ran smoothly and fast, not a bit of lag other than loading the pages themselves. by the way, i'm in kind of a hurry so i may just be jumping around from feature to feature so please excuse that. so, the screen...absolutely beautiful!!!! completely flush with the face of the phone and since it shares the same resoolution as the iphone but is smaller, the pixels are more condensed therefore yielding a brighter, deeper display. next, the browser was nice. fast, clean, and the two-way touch was just as effective as the iphones or damn close. i think the technology of the tw-way touch is just as crisp, but since the face of the phone is plastic instead of glass, it tends to be slightly more "sticky" and therefore a little less responsive, but seriously, not really anything worth noting. just expressing a minor observation. since the phone isn't mine i couldn't experience the synergy feature, but the email, calendar, messaging and apps were all perfect. nothing to complain about in the slightest. SLICK!! when it comes to simple navigation throughout the phone, the pre was very responsive. no lag or anything, just what everyone wants. the slider itself is a little less smooth than consumers will prefer, but honestly, its not a big deal. probably one of those things you just get used to. and believe me, i had a mogul, which i absolutely hated, and i am very, very picky when it comes to overall responsiveness and effectiveness of the phone. the pre dominates in this department. multitasking was smooth, youtube ran beautiful, along with fandango, and lastly, the phone is just magnificent looking. it is way smaller than picture or videos online make it look. they don't do it justice. its teeny, but not too small. just perfect. congratulations to Palm...they've landed a winner. i'm absolutely comfortable saying that consumers will love this phone and the iphone will no longer be "the phone to beat". welcome to the "Pre"volution friends!
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Thanks for the review flpalazzojr you are confirming the other hands on review. I am looking forward to when we get synergy results and the phone and sound qualities with real use. Again thanks for the update.
    600P, 700P, Current 800W
    Daughter Centro
    http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com...elief-minutes/ The ultimate smartphone!!!!!!
    I have a question to add. Can you see what "basic" functions are missing from the phone? I know that having contacts in Groups on the phone isn't yet present. I also saw in the manual that reminders for appointments can only be snoozed for 5 mins (no option for other times). What other little things like these are missing? By little things I mean functionality that is already there in other OS's (like Palm OS or WM). Like can you add a time to Tasks/ToDos? Stuff like that which you would encounter day to day.
  20.    #100  
    I know I haven't answered all these questions specifically yet -- the time for when reviews were supposed to be posted ended up not being what I'd hoped it would be and I just plain ran out of time.

I'll try to get to them all over the weekend!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast