Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    do a complete review of sync ing to the cloud.
    1 - how long does setuptake?
    2- what 'clouds' does it support'
    3- how much data can u sync?
    4- when does it happne? On schedule, all the time ? does it slow up the phone's process
    5- what happens when u go in and out of coveradge (example - live in NYC, subway all the time, will sync fail or recover gracefully)
    6- When you synch to does all data synch. for example:
    - For Goole, do all contacts sync, are there limitaitons
    - For MS Exchnge - all contacTs? All e-mails? all calendar dates? etc.

i;m sure there is alot more on this tipic: In General do an entire review on just this aspect of the phone, using multiple clouds and reviewing the process in an everyday usage enviorment
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    1. Can you get Video out through the 3.5mm jack using something like this
    3.5mm Jack to 3 Phono for Video Cameras :: RCA to RCA Cables (Phono) :: Scart / Video Cables :: Cable Universe

2. Are you capable of having folders within your inbox or do folders within an inbox on an exchange server sync correctly?

3. Does the Sym key have more than 1 purpose? Is it really the "Alt" key we saw in menus in the past? If not what is the Alt key?

4. Can the OS display foreign text like Chinese or Japanese? If need example sites I will give you a few.

5. Can it convert a phone number that is partially words or letters like 1800-MATTRES when you type t out?

6. What is the app with the quarter moon icon?

7. Does the app store have many apps starting out?

8. If you get sent a youtube link through IM or on the web, will it use the youtube app to open the video?

9. What is the actual music player like? Does it have support for Podcasts?

10. How quick is the shutter on the camera?

11. When you sync with facebook and then someone changes or deletes their number on Facebook what happens to the number on your phone?

12. Does Telenav accept voice commands?

13. Does Google Maps have street view?

14. What do the "Locale" settings do?

15. Any Facebook chat support?
    I'm interested in the file system, and in particular, how much of it is exposed to the end user. So, some of the things I'd love you to explore:

Can an enduser structure things using folders/directories? For example, if you have a lot of memos, can you organize them into directories by subject, or are you stuck with a long, linear list (or worse: giant post-its on that cutesy cork board we see in all the demos).

What security options are there? Can one lock down a directory of sensitive data without needing to lock the entire device? How about a single file? Or a single record in the SQLite db?

Will the browser open file:/// urls? That'd be a nice workaround for viewing ebooks until a reader is available; there are lots of free ebooks in HTML format. Just drop them in a directory and open using the browser.

Can you organize your media in folders? Assuming yes, does the media player expose this organization, or just present you with a flat list?
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    A complete review of the Data Transfer Agent for Mac and PC.

That sounds like a whole review in itself.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    A complete review of the Data Transfer Agent for Mac and PC.
    Data Transfer Agent? From everything I can find you plug it in and it shows up as an external drive, just like a thumb drive or hard drive. There better not be any required proprietary agents or the Pre is a no-go for me and my Linux machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Data Transfer Agent? From everything I can find you plug it in and it shows up as an external drive, just like a thumb drive or hard drive. There better not be any required proprietary agents or the Pre is a no-go for me and my Linux machines.
    It is just usb mass storage. Should mount fine for you.
    I know these may seem petty but I'll post them anyways:

1. How flimsy is the microUSB cover when you take it off to plug in and charge?

2. How strong is the magnetic connection between the phone and the touchstone charger? Can a slight nudge knock the phone off? Can it withstand accidental hitting?

3. Shutter speed on the camera - how "fast" can it snap pictures?

4. Any options for extended batteries?
    Quote Originally Posted by ultima301 View Post
    Sorry if any of this stuff is obvious and are things that you were already going to do.

1 -Try out PDANet ( PdaNet -- Use your Treo smartphone as a Wireless Modem for your PC ) on the emulator and see if PAM will work for bluetooth or USB - that's my biggest hope for getting tethering right now.
    Dunno about USB, but Classic can't interact with most of the hardware according to MotionApps, so BT PAM through Classic is not possible.

The ability of Classic to integrate with underlying hardware is limited. This means that Classic will not be able to access Bluetooth, wireless modem (phone radio), GPS, light sensors or accelerometer (nor the IR port – because there isn’t any on Pre). One exception to this is the network access which is fully supported.
    Last edited by Kyusaku; 05/08/2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: spelled "through" wrong.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'm particularly intersted in the core PIM apps (calendar, contacts, tasks, memos):

1) can you search within the app itself or do you need to use Universal Search (I think you can just start typing in Contacts to search but would love to know if you can in the other apps as well)

2) do the PIM apps still support categories?

3) does Tasks still have alarms? recurring tasks?

4) can you still attach notes to calendar, contacts and tasks?

Finally, looking forward to your thoughts on the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Can I run Telenav GPS software which uses the data network and talk on the phone at the same time?
    That I can tell you myself isn't possible due to the limitations of the CDMA network and nothing to do with the Pre and the Pre won't magically make this happen either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    That I can tell you myself isn't possible due to the limitations of the CDMA network and nothing to do with the Pre and the Pre won't magically make this happen either.
    If the pre Caches the route in the telnav software and the GPS is realgps and not assisted, then you could talk on the phone while nav directs you on a route that's already been calculated and cached.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    1. Can you get Video out through the 3.5mm jack using something like this
    I'll answer this for you now... Not a chance. There's already have stereo audio plus a microphone on that jack, aka they're already using 4 conductors, which is the most I've ever heard of on a 3.5mm jack.

Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    The InsideSprintNow FAQs mentioned a Data Transfer Agent to help you with the initial setup of getting data to the Pre.
    Will the phone support Mozilla Thunderbird as an e-mail exchange server?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdag View Post
    I think you're confused about what an Exchange Server actually is. Outlook and Thunderbird are both email clients. Exchange is a Microsoft proprietary email syncing protocol for email (which I believe Thunderbird has absolutely no support for anyway), and the Exchange Server is what Outlook or the phone you're using it whatever connects to to download those messages over the internet or for some companies the internal network.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdag View Post
    Thunderbird is not an email server, it's an email client.
    Can you view/edit Google Docs? Maybe sync them to the Pre's PIM Notes?

What can you sync the Pre's PIM Tasks to? Remember the Milk?
    Quote Originally Posted by tangozebra View Post
    Can you view/edit Google Docs? Maybe sync them to the Pre's PIM Notes?

What can you sync the Pre's PIM Tasks to? Remember the Milk?
    If anyone understands Remember the Milk and can explain (in a few words) how it relates to Google, I'd appreciate it. I know that Google's handling of tasks is problematic.
    Remember the Milk is an online task list. It doesn't relate to google except that it provides and ical feed that can be viewed in google calendar. But that would be pointless as I'm willing to bet that the pre will be able to edit and view the ical feed directly. However this is not perfect, because the ical feed simply puts tasks down as events on the given due date. But hopefully there will be a sync ability for syncing tasks directly to Remember the Milk.
    Supported bluetooth profiles???
    Program launch times vs other Smartphones.
    Battery stress tests.
    Will it blend?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    3) Battery stress tests.
    4) Will it blend?
    3) I want to know.
    4) I don't want to see it, but I know when it happens, I won't be able to look away.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast