Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    don't shoot the messenger. I'm just interpreting their stance. Didn't say I agreed with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    App Store? iTunes? Upgrades? Upsells? Repeat Sales? Word of Mouth?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    Well their whole accessible OS based off their web browser;
    This is a misunderstanding of WebOS (and I've seen others jump to that some conclusion.)

WebOS does not mean that the OS is based on the browser. Apps do not have to use the browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    There is no ongoing revenue stream for the Touch. It's a buy once only product where people pay monthly for the iphone. Apple must claim that the "extra" features the iphone gets should have a fee associated with them that's covered by AT&T's monthly service where all the firmware updates for the Touch are free. Sounds like a lot of BS to me, and just another reason I can't stand the way they do business and will never buy their products.
    Except that Touch owners also buy music and apps from iTunes and the App Store, even if it doesn't generate the money iPhone plans do. I think Apple's pulling a fast one too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    It would be nice if the Pre had a desktop application to download amazon music / browse apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Which is why I find it painfully IRONIC and quite inexcusable if in fact copy & paste does not work in the browser of the Pre, as rumored by the inside sprint guy
    It's almost laughable if it turns out to be true that copy / paste isn't an option on the Pre on browser text. For as much as it was played up in the press and talked about as being a flaw for the iPhone there should be no reason this gets left out. The Alarm clock, a possible no copy / paste, what other surprises are we in for? With this kind of stuff missing I'm very doubtful the Pre will have anything to surprise us with that's positive. If they release a day before WWDC I think they're going to get roughed up. Sales, hardware, software, marketing and a whole host of other comparisons are going to occur and I don't see Palm winning many of those fields in the mainstream press.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    This is a misunderstanding of WebOS (and I've seen others jump to that some conclusion.)

WebOS does not mean that the OS is based on the browser. Apps do not have to use the browser.
    Maybe not technically, but all apps use the same engine as the browser (all are html, java, or css) so why would the browser behave differently?

And a video I saw (I think on engadget) said "Their browser is so fast, they decided to base their entire OS on it." So that's where I pulled it from.
    I forgot about that "no alarm clock" rumor. Has that been confirmed? Although they did say you could set alarms in the calender.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I forgot about that "no alarm clock" rumor. Has that been confirmed? Although they did say you could set alarms in the calender.
    The Alarm app is prob going to be the first one installed. I believe Palm said that tehy didn't create one because everyone's alarm needs are different so you can just choose your own. I'm sure they'll be great apps for free and $0.99.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Pretty much confirmed, not only the mentioned stuff by Palm, but by someone who (I guess I should add supposedly here, because no public pictures, though apparently he sent a picture as proof to the admin of the site) played with the device at EverythingPre.
    They already do. It's called amazon.com and palm.com.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Alarm clock doesn't bother me too much....you can do it still like you did it on old Palms....or just get a Alarm clock app.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Going back to the original subject of this thread...I think there will be additional functions or software announced, and perhaps this took time to develop, but I believe the Pre and WebOS have enough functions and software to compete with both the iPhone's power, ergonomics and app variety already. The choice of the 7th was just to piggyback on the iPhone 3.0's rollout...in every article the iPhone is reviewed, you can bet the Pre will mentioned at least once...how's that for penetration in your target market?
    as I said above. I didn't say I agreed with it. Just interpreting their own words that defended their actions.
    Except that Touch owners also buy music and apps from iTunes and the App Store, even if it doesn't generate the money iPhone plans do. I think Apple's pulling a fast one too.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    as I said above. I didn't say I agreed with it. Just interpreting their own words that defended their actions.
    Actually I was agreeing with you when you said that was a questionable tactic.

"Sounds like a lot of BS to me, and just another reason I can't stand the way they do business and will never buy their products."

I think they're just making an excuse to cash in too. Especially since that's all they've been doing with their latest releases.

I gotchya. Was relating to the post above. it's funny. They could do or change just a few little things and they would create so many more fans from their naysayers.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Maybe WiMax radio? 4G?
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Just thought I'd add that the Touch does not get a free firmware upgrade from 1.x to 2.x. I'm betting they will charge for 3.x. Heck, they charged $20 for the software pack that should have been included with the launch.

If Apple is not contractually obligated (or persuaded by ATT) to provide an upgrade, they probably aren't going to do so. We are talking about a company that updates all of it's embedded OS software on a yearly basis and charges full price for upgrades. Apple doesn't believe in customer loyalty discounts. I do have some Apple products; they make nice things. Their business practices are some of the worst in the business...yet MS is always the one that is demonized.
    BOTH companies do very annoying and/or questionable things customer-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by tpavey View Post
    Just thought I'd add that the Touch does not get a free firmware upgrade from 1.x to 2.x. I'm betting they will charge for 3.x. Heck, they charged $20 for the software pack that should have been included with the launch.
    Thank SOP 97-2

Revenue Recognition for Software Products with Multiple Deliverables

If Apple is not contractually obligated (or persuaded by ATT) to provide an upgrade, they probably aren't going to do so. We are talking about a company that updates all of it's embedded OS software on a yearly basis and charges full price for upgrades. Apple doesn't believe in customer loyalty discounts. I do have some Apple products; they make nice things. Their business practices are some of the worst in the business...yet MS is always the one that is demonized.

All paid OS releases 10.4 10.5 etc are significant enough to justify a charge. Were you upset when MS charged for the upgrade from windows 98 to windows ME? Or from XP to Vista? Because that is what you are criticizing Apple for here.

All point releases like 10.4.11 or 10.5.5 are free, just like Service Packs from MS.

Their customers just dont agree with you. They are consistently one of the best in the industry from the standpoint of customer satisfaction. This sounds like sour grapes from someone who has already made up their mind to dislike Apple. That is just as ignorant as people who carry on about Micr$$$oft!
    highly doubt they would add the expense of a wimax radio that would benefit about 5% of it's customer base for quite awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by kld2009 View Post
    Maybe WiMax radio? 4G?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast