Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Precisely because the iPhone is a household name and the Pre is not. This is in the "it's so crazy it just might work" category, and I know all the business/marketing folks in here disagree, but articles concerning the alleged new iPhone will almost invariably include the Pre. So the name recognition of the iPhone will draw attention to those articles, which will in turn draw attention to the Pre. Pre comes along for the ride. This might be doubly true if some reporters say, "We can't believe Palm would be so stupid, but they just released their new iPhone competitor, the Pre." People love to hear about corporate stupidity. People also love an underdog. The David vs. Goliath angle here is huge. I think it buys Palm and Sprint a lot more press than they might otherwise get.
    When you don't have a lot of money, this is a cheap way to market your product, cause like your saying, anyone that covers the iphone, they cover the Pre. It's already happening. It's being compared to things and it's not even out yet.

But Sprint or Palm is gonna have to do follow through advertising like Apple does. Wait until they start with commercials about copy and paste, people will think that's the greatest thing and most never knew some phones already did it.
    Also don't forget, there are some great sports weekends upcoming, including some big weeks for NASCAR, which Sprint sponsors. Tons of eyeballs, less DVRing, great for an ad blitz. I think there is the longest race of the season over memorial day, I am not 100% sure but I believe so, which gives them a very substantial block of time to do their thing.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Also don't forget, there are some great sports weekends upcoming, including some big weeks for NASCAR, which Sprint sponsors.
    Great time to show off the Nascar app and promote the Pre.

I don't watch much nascar myself, but the nascar app that Sprint has is actually pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    Great time to show off the Nascar app and promote the Pre.

I don't watch much nascar myself, but the nascar app that Sprint has is actually pretty cool.
    Bingo! Besides though many people use DVR features for sports (primarily replay), most people watch the events live. These are high value events for advertising because it reduces people skipping the commercials. And with NASCAR the thing is an advertising vehicle....literally. They could have a Palm Pre car for a race or two....just hope it doesn't crash.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Bingo! Besides though many people use DVR features for sports (primarily replay), most people watch the events live. These are high value events for advertising because it reduces people skipping the commercials. And with NASCAR the thing is an advertising vehicle....literally. They could have a Palm Pre car for a race or two....just hope it doesn't crash.
    Yea, that's about the 2% that I watch live, sporting events. And which I have seen some now network commercials on ESPN, and even heard them on sports radio stations.
    Everyone here is expecting a big huge new thing with the new iPhone... Am I the only one who thinks it'll be a repackaged 3G with 3.0 installed? I mean sure they'll throw in something new (that magnets thing) but really, the 3G was just the same thing but with extra speed and gps. Apple innovates, then rests on its laurels for years.... iPod is still the same as its always been, Macs are the same now too, and iPhone will ALWAYS be iPhone.

So honestly, since we know the big gun this year is 3.0 (cut and paste! OMG!!! *sarcasm*), who cares when the Pre is released? Today, tomorrow, WWDC, whatever; it's going to make the same size splash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    When you don't have a lot of money, this is a cheap way to market your product, cause like your saying, anyone that covers the iphone, they cover the Pre. It's already happening. It's being compared to things and it's not even out yet.
    That seems true because you are interested and looking for pre info, but itsn't true by a long shot. It is a observer bias perspective error.
    I'm afraid that with only a single day's lead time over the iPhone release the Pre hype will get swallowed up by Cupertino's propaganda machine. I'd have done it a week early, or 4 days at minimum.

Palm also needs to start ramping up the noise soon. Teaser media releases, rumors, innuendo, whatever. Remember when Isuzu cars came out? There were billboards all over that just said "Isuzu". Nobody could figure out what the heck it meant, but everyone talked about it. If they play to the geek crowd (us) who already knows what the Pre is all about, they're not going to have much buzz and it will feel like a stealth release. I'm guessing that's not what Palm wants!
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    Everyone here is expecting a big huge new thing with the new iPhone... Am I the only one who thinks it'll be a repackaged 3G with 3.0 installed? I mean sure they'll throw in something new (that magnets thing) but really, the 3G was just the same thing but with extra speed and gps. Apple innovates, then rests on its laurels for years.... iPod is still the same as its always been, Macs are the same now too, and iPhone will ALWAYS be iPhone.

So honestly, since we know the big gun this year is 3.0 (cut and paste! OMG!!! *sarcasm*), who cares when the Pre is released? Today, tomorrow, WWDC, whatever; it's going to make the same size splash.
    There've been HD rumors, video recording with some nice software included, keyboard rumors(skeptical on this one), voice control/talking phone rumors, turn by turn GPS and compass rumors; and a couple of other rumors about the OS besides what was mentioned officially. I hope Apple knows the cell phone market is different than the iPod market and you need to step up each model.

BTW, iPods aren't exactly the same now. But I agree the upgrades have been lacking or a bit slow.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    ya, so it's only taken iphone 3 years to put a simple feature like copy and paste on their phones? treo's have been doing that for years.
    Another simple feature Palm lacks is multitouch. Who wants to deal with all those scrollbars and zoom icons?

While I like Sprints Now network ads, it seems more appropraite to call it the Sprint Wait network since everyone is waiting for the pre to get released.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulclif View Post
    Another simple feature Palm lacks is multitouch. Who wants to deal with all those scrollbars and zoom icons?

While I like Sprints Now network ads, it seems more appropraite to call it the Sprint Wait network since everyone is waiting for the pre to get released.
    ... The pre has multitouch. Only in classic has scrollbars because it is running an OS that didn't support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by binder View Post
    ya, so it's only taken iphone 3 years to put a simple feature like copy and paste on their phones? treo's have been doing that for years.
    Which is why I find it painfully IRONIC and quite inexcusable if in fact copy & paste does not work in the browser of the Pre, as rumored by the inside sprint guy
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    I think they've said you can't copy text from a webpage, but is that really true?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think they've said you can't copy text from a webpage, but is that really true?
    If that is true it would quite a setback. What were they thinking???
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    If that is true it would quite a setback. What were they thinking???
    Well their whole accessible OS based off their web browser; so if you can do it in one application, you should be able to do it in all of them.

So, for now at least, I really have a hard time believing that RUMOR
    making a trade to get an ipod touch (don't want it, but will play and then sell it) and was doing some research where lots of Touch owners are peeved at Apples for giving the iphone upgrades that Touch owners don't get. Apple's defense per the wiki page and footnoted to something, is:
    Apple has been reported as saying that they can add features for free to the iPhone because the revenue from it is accounted for on a subscription basis under Sarbanes-Oxley Act rules, rather than as a one time payment.
    To me that indicates that Apple is receiving subscription revenue from AT&T for that to be justified. I just thought that was interesting with the talk about AT&T's iphone pricing plans. If that's the case, would it be easy for AT&T to drop their plan rates by $10 (from the rumor)? Would Apple be taking a cut in it's revenue sharing or would that be strictly coming out of AT&T's pocket? If any of the above is true that is.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    A little off-topic but Touch owners get peeved because they have to pay for the major OS upgrades, iPhone owners don't. I never really understood that "subscription" excuse.

There is no ongoing revenue stream for the Touch. It's a buy once only product where people pay monthly for the iphone. Apple must claim that the "extra" features the iphone gets should have a fee associated with them that's covered by AT&T's monthly service where all the firmware updates for the Touch are free. Sounds like a lot of BS to me, and just another reason I can't stand the way they do business and will never buy their products.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    A little off-topic but Touch owners get peeved because they have to pay for the major OS upgrades, iPhone owners don't. I never really understood that "subscription" excuse.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    There is no ongoing revenue stream for the Touch. It's a buy once only product where people pay monthly for the iphone. Apple must claim that the "extra" features the iphone gets should have a fee associated with them that's covered by AT&T's monthly service where all the firmware updates for the Touch are free. Sounds like a lot of BS to me, and just another reason I can't stand the way they do business and will never buy their products.
    App Store? iTunes? Upgrades? Upsells? Repeat Sales? Word of Mouth?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast