Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    i still think its smart.

The best way of canceling the apple brand halo is to force every media and everybody to compare the two products side by side.

Since Palm won't ever be able to compete with apple on brand name, the thorough comparison of the two device itself will sure give them more fair chance.

Which is GOOD, because I believe Pre IS a superior product.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Palm is obviously in fact releasing information SOONER than usual becasue it is in a situation where it cannot keep a secret. Just look at the obvious: they would never have leaked the EOS one month before Pre of their needs were the opposite of being secretive. the EOS leak, patently intentional, makes perfect sense if you understand their overriding need -- to very publicly assert viability
    One quick point, the assumption you have is that the EOS leak was made by Palm intentionally. To be honest, I doubt that highly. I think that leak was probably made whoever might be getting that phone, outside of Sprint as a means of pulling the rug from under the Pre. Palm would not want to leak publicly the second device when the first device needs to be an unmitigated success to have much of a shot at the second.
    I am beginin to like the idea (golf clap for Phone Diva and others) of a personal cloud mass storage feature being included with the Pre at release. If the specs on the leaked Eos are true, and it has only 4GB of storage, this leads me to believe that the 8GB on the Pre is less about built in obsolecence as it it is about keeping costs down for what is essentially a "security" feature. If you have 100 GB of mass cloud storage able to be accessed for pics, videos, music, documents etc. the 8GB of on board for esential data (for when you are off the grid) seems more than adequate.

The cloud storage would also be relatively easy to keep secret, since it will only require a software feature on the phone (which we already know about) and no additional hardware, and it would certainly clam much of the criticism for lack of SD card, a means to backup data, and those who say, "iPhone's goin' to have 32GB and Palm only 8?" Because the answer will then be, "Yes, 8GB ON BOARD, and 108 total GB accessible."

That would seriously take the wind out of some sails.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Sprints network better be up to the task then! If every Pre owner wants to stash full length movie files on their hard drive in the cloud, things could become very congested, very fast. Along with all the other network usage every Pre will probably produce, I am not sure how well Sprints network will hold up. And if they have to increase their capacity somehow...you know who gets to pay for that...us! Unless.... it does go 4g together with cloud storage...now that would be a HUGE surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    I am beginin to like the idea (golf clap for Phone Diva and others) of a personal cloud mass storage feature being included with the Pre at release. If the specs on the leaked Eos are true, and it has only 4GB of storage, this leads me to believe that the 8GB on the Pre is less about built in obsolecence as it it is about keeping costs down for what is essentially a "security" feature. If you have 100 GB of mass cloud storage able to be accessed for pics, videos, music, documents etc. the 8GB of on board for esential data (for when you are off the grid) seems more than adequate.

The cloud storage would also be relatively easy to keep secret, since it will only require a software feature on the phone (which we already know about) and no additional hardware, and it would certainly clam much of the criticism for lack of SD card, a means to backup data, and those who say, "iPhone's goin' to have 32GB and Palm only 8?" Because the answer will then be, "Yes, 8GB ON BOARD, and 108 total GB accessible."

That would seriously take the wind out of some sails.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Sprints network better be up to the task then! If every Pre owner wants to stash full length movie files on their hard drive in the cloud, things could become very congested, very fast. Along with all the other network usage every Pre will probably produce, I am not sure how well Sprints network will hold up. And if they have to increase their capacity somehow...you know who gets to pay for that...us! Unless.... it does go 4g together with cloud storage...now that would be a HUGE surprise!
    There ARE fewer people on the Sprint network now...

Zero chance of 4G. People just need to let that one go...
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    I am beginning to like the idea (golf clap for Phone Diva and others) of a personal cloud mass storage feature being included with the Pre at release.
    Since Palm beta tested wireless backup of contacts and calendar about 2 years ago on Palm Treos, at least limited cloud storage/backup should/could be available. And since BlueNomad used to have a functional wireless backup of applications at backupbuddy.net, all of this speculation about cloud storage and backup should be relatively easy to implement, even if not at product launch. Someone should contact Blue Nomad to see what they have planned for WebOS. And even though Gloonet wireless media streaming is defunct (and I can't even remember the name of the free, home computer streaming service software that came with the early Treo 700p, now also defunct), there may be ways to access your home computer via WebOS for documents, music, media, etc., without needing a slingbox type of device. Very doable. Imagine streaming mp3s from home to the PRe and bluetooth connecting to your car radio. Makes ipod and iphone less special. Just my $0.02
    If you have 100 GB of mass cloud storage able to be accessed for pics, videos, music, documents etc. the 8GB of on board for esential data (for when you are off the grid) seems more than adequate.
    I like this idea too, but let's think about this for a minute. 100GB x 1M phones = 100 PB of storage. Of course, you wouldn't need to have all of it available on day 1. But what you have needs to be online so that it is accessible from the device without significant lag. That's a pretty significant data center (or several).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I don't know if I buy into this concern. "Every Pre owner" streaming the video's they've stored on the cloud wouldn't be much different than "every Pre owner" watching streaming TV that Sprint is providing as part of the Everything plan.

Obviously, "everyone" is not going to do either at the same time, but I would think that if the latter isn't a concern, the former shouldn't be.
    If it sells like the Iphone there will be issues with Data in larger areas with high concentrations of data users. The Iphone almost doesn't work in some cities on 3g data at certain times and you have to switch to edge to get it working. The same thing will happen to Sprint if the Pre is a huge success simply because these networks were not designed for heavy data use in concentrated areas.

I hope Pre is a success. I hope it helps Sprint get out of the basement that they have been lurking in for sometime now.

I also hope that I don't see a everyone and their brother with a Pre like I do the Iphone.

I also don't see 100gb of storage on Cloud for everyone. That is pie in the sky dreaming. At best you might see 2-8gb for free and maybe a paid option for more. No way in hell they are going to offer everyone 100 GB of free space the logistics of that are mind boggling and we aren't there yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I like this idea too, but let's think about this for a minute. 100GB x 1M phones = 100 PB of storage. Of course, you wouldn't need to have all of it available on day 1. But what you have needs to be online so that it is accessible from the device without significant lag. That's a pretty significant data center (or several).
    If I were Palm and I were implementing this idea I wouldnt try to own all the storage. I would use something like Amazon's s3 service. Just pay $.03/gb transfered for what you use with pretty decent uptime.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    It would be cool if the Pre launched and had flash support already, instead of waiting til end of the year.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I think it could be these possibilities:

1. 16Gb Version
    2. A MicroSD slot
    3. A lower that $200 Price Tag
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I would not be surprised at all if it came out that it has an expandable memory slot.
    IIRC the first couple of interviews stated that it did and then suddenly it did not.
    Maybe not right away, but I highly suspect we'll see a phone with at least more internal storage offered. Perhaps that is their little secret for launch, who knows. That and maybe a software trick.

I don't see them adding micro SD though. I think with larger internal drives becoming the norm most manufactures will opt to drop it. In another year or two when 32 gb is standard I don't think people will care one way or the other.
    The Street pretty much agrees with me on this one - stupidest marketing plan ever.

Tech Rumor of the Day: Sprint, Palm | Telecom | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com
    Here's one...they throw out 8gb as the storage on the Pre. Make a bunch with 8gb for the testers, demos and such and have the rest memoryless in the waiting to be finished in production. They've gauged the reactions at the loss of a card slot and 8gb not being enough, so they upped it to 16gb and then started up production again with the 16gb in place which will be announced when the launch date is announced. Completely foundless idea of course.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    The Street pretty much agrees with me on this one - stupidest marketing plan ever.

Tech Rumor of the Day: Sprint, Palm | Telecom | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com
    I'm in complete agreement that June 7th is a bad idea. I really don't have any idea why Palm or Sprint want to share the spotlight with the new iPhone....

So THE DAY AFTER the Pre is released everyone gets to get all the specs on the new iPhone? How is this a good idea? Do you really think that the Pre is just going to blanket the hype train with the new iPhone coming?

We needed our Pre's on the streets about a month before the WWDC (Or whatever it's called). It would have greatly boosted initial sales and probably would maybe have built up enough good hype to compete with even the upcoming iPhone.

No... Instead we're going to release the Pre THE DAY before the announcement of the juggernaut, with little to no advertising. Just the implied 4G network ads. Those ads aren't too effective at letting the populace even know what the heck the Pre is.

This is going to sound bad... A lot of it is just sheer anger coming from the Goat.

But I can see how Sprint and Palm have ended up in the poor financial situations they are in. Their game plan as far as releasing both companies savior is like watching 10 monkeys make love to the same football.

AAARRRRGH!!!

-Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    a month ahead, everybody will wait to see what apple comes up. how is that gonna help sales?

after WWDC? media needs time to recover from it.

One day ahead? Brilliant. Head to head comparison by EVERY media is the best way to push pre out. Apple's products are largely sold by its marketing team, no realistic comparison at all. Think over it, thorough and fair comparison is exactly what apple is always avoiding in any of its products.

Of course sprint/palm will start airing ads on TV one to 2 weeks ahead of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    a month ahead, everybody will wait to see what apple comes up. how is that gonna help sales?

after WWDC? media needs time to recover from it.

One day ahead? Brilliant. Head to head comparison by EVERY media is the best way to push pre out. Apple's products are largely sold by its marketing team, no realistic comparison at all. Think over it, thorough and fair comparison is exactly what apple is always avoiding in any of its products.

Of course sprint/palm will start airing ads on TV one to 2 weeks ahead of time.
    If it works it will be brilliant!

It is a high risk approach, one that I think they are only taking out of necessity and due to component delays.
    I just don't see the big deal.

2 or 3 weeks out if you are even remotely interested in the Iphone you would wait regardless.

5/17 - 6/7 it doesn't matter either way IMO. They were going head to head with the Iphone. The people that were going to run out and buy the Pre on day one most likely aren't going to be swayed by anything Apple does regardless.

Also if the Iphone announcement fails to ignite a huge amount of enthusiasm with only mediocre upgrades then this may just be a stroke of genius move on Palm / Sprints part.

If they were confident about the new IPhone 3 specs I don't think they would be discussing a fairly large price drop in plan cost.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast