1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if the Palm Pre will have a signal bar for both the voice and data? They filed a patent to do this recently, and presumably, it's for the Palm Pre. More info on the patent is here: What’s Your Cellphone Signal? Patentseed on Patentseed
    Last edited by denik; 05/09/2009 at 11:24 AM.
    No clue. Wouldn't that be more of a 4g phone feature though?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    No clue. Wouldn't that be more of a 4g phone feature though?
    I think by "Voice and Data" he really means "1X and Ev".

Most EV-DO capable Verizon phones already have this feature. It would be nice to see on the Pre, but I wouldn't care if they left it off.
    I hope not. The dual signal strength meter used in the VZW 'standard' OS is awful. It looks terrible and confuses non technical people.

More to the point, we have seen the Pre's signal strength meter in almost every picture released on the unit. It is a single, standard 'bar' meter.

personally I would like the see a move away from this type of display and towards a more intuitive system. For example the top corner of the screen could emit a subtle green, yellow or red glow to indicate signal strength. With the option of a dBm reading by clicking. More intuitive, with the option of greater precision.
    Or a number of % strength and leave it at that. The whole signal bars is a bunch of BS as anyone with AT&T knows. Once they started advertising more bars yet service was exactly the same yet more bars showed you knew right away all they did was change the bar display algorithm.

Can't tell you the number of times my Iphone showed 3 bars and I didn't actually have service when I made a call.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post

Can't tell you the number of times my Iphone showed 3 bars and I didn't actually have service when I made a call.
    I've seen this a few times with the iphone. But on my sprint phones it's like they under estimate or something. I'll have zero bars, but my reception is completely fine. Only when the phone icon comes up with no service that I actually do not have service.
    That is a function of the different technologies used. CDMA is more tolerant of lower signal strength.
  8.    #8  
    [QUOTE=bryanharig;1597142]I hope not. The dual signal strength meter used in the VZW 'standard' OS is awful. It looks terrible and confuses non technical people.

[QUOTE]

What does the dual signal strength meter on VZW look like?
    This is an example I was able to find quickly: MobileBurn.com Image: LG VX8600