1.    #1  
    I know a lot of you are not w8n on the Sprint CDMA version of the Pre, well I am... anyway, Sprint has exclusivity through the end of the year in America... so how is it that Palm is making all these announcements for GSM versions of the phone in all other countries b4 the end of the year.... I thought the CDMA version was the brainchild and the GSM was the red headed stepchild

Do you all think the holdup is Sprint, and the CDMA is ready, that is why Palm is putting effort in the GSM device, I do understand they have several different divisions, all of this just seems fishy to me
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    I know a lot of you are not w8n on the Sprint CDMA version of the Pre, well I am... anyway, Sprint has exclusivity through the end of the year in America... so how is it that Palm is making all these announcements for GSM versions of the phone in all other countries b4 the end of the year.... I thought the CDMA version was the brainchild and the GSM was the red headed stepchild

Do you all think the holdup is Sprint, and the CDMA is ready, that is why Palm is putting effort in the GSM device, I do understand they have several different divisions, all of this just seems fishy to me
    81% of mobile phone users worldwide use GSM. It's too big of a market to miss.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

You're definitely wrong in assuming that the GSM version is a ''red headed stepchild''. Both versions are on equal footing but for different markets. Sprint has ALWAYS been good to Palm over the years going back to the Handspring days and it's no surprise that they're launching on Sprint first.

The GSM version is launching in the 2nd half of 09 so Palm is right on schedule talking about the GSM version.
    Rationalize like this, the CDMA version is launching in the 1st half of 09 and they've been talking about it since January, so I see nothing fishy in them discussing the next launch version when they're almost near launch time for the CDMA market.
    Most GSM users are going to measure the worth of the Pre going by the CDMA version seeing as they're are parallel devices with just different radios. If what they see of the CDMA Pre is good and substantially good user-wise, then the anticipation just builds for a GSM model.

I'll bet you that the GSM model is just as ready as the CDMA version (i'd assume both are being developed and tested side by side) seeing as they had some at the event in Barcelona.

I really want the Pre to do well and I would have hoped that they had both CDMA and GSM models available in the States. Hopefully they sell a GSM unlocked version direct.

I'm lucky 'cause i'm on Sprint so I don't have to wait long vs the rest of the world.
    Once Palm (or any manufacturer) gets a device to its final releasable state they deliver it to the carrier. The carrier then tests it, trains their people and decides when to start selling it.

Palm has done most of their work on the CDMA Pre. What remains is just bug fixes and updates. Most of their resources should now be free to work on HSPA Pre's or other webOS devices.

What announcements? Bell Mobility up in Canada is the only official carrier outside of Sprint that's been announced, and they're CDMA too.

Also, as others have noted, outside of North America, GSM reigns supreme.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Palm has always had GSM versions of devices for worldwide markets, sometimes the GSM version gets out before the CDMA version.

What's interesting is the Pre prototypes were actually GSM, there's a MWC video that shows that the prototype Pre they were using had a SIM card.

Palm is changing the subject to GSM because they want to avoid more details on the Pre itself. Besides it's about time CDN and EU got some release info. We've known the Pre would hit Sprint since January, yet Europe release is still being questioned.

I'd also like to know if they're aiming for Japan at all.(I want native Japanese support)

@Derek, didn't an Aussie carrier get announced a few days ago?
    Telstra, a carrier in Australia, will be getting GSM Pre in August.
    I thought the CDMA version was the brainchild and the GSM was the red headed stepchild
    What the hell does that even mean?
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    What the hell does that even mean?
    good question. Maybe he/she thinks the CDMA network is god-like status and the GSM network is puny and people throw it aside?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    That was not an official confirmed launch: http://www.precentral.net/pre-landing-down-under-august
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    As of now that is still unconfirmed rumor as far as I know. They have only announced one international partner officially, and that is Bell Canada, which uses CDMA.
    I don't doubt GSM is coming eventually, but they haven't officially announced anything about a GSM Pre yet.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    ....thinks the CDMA network is god-like status and the GSM network is puny and people throw it aside?

Just a statement b/c the CDMA version was announced first... believe me if GSM signal was as strong as the CDMA signal was in the building that I work in, i probably would have a GSM phone, but I'm basically forced to use CDMA if I am to use a phone anytime during the 8 hour day that I am @ work.....

I was just asking the question, I know that Palm normally have a GSM and CDMA version of all their phones, just reflecting on all the many post and topics of how the Pre would either help or hurt Palm depending on the release dates and the viability of the phone..... I know they cant really put all their eggs in one basket but if you have something strong then put 8 of the 12 in there for obvious reasons
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    As of now that is still unconfirmed rumor as far as I know. They have only announced one international partner officially, and that is Bell Canada, which uses CDMA.
    I don't doubt GSM is coming eventually, but they haven't officially announced anything about a GSM Pre yet.

Confirmed.

Telstra Tipped To Launch Palm Pre In August - Smarthouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Palm has always had GSM versions of devices for worldwide markets, sometimes the GSM version gets out before the CDMA version.

What's interesting is the Pre prototypes were actually GSM, there's a MWC video that shows that the prototype Pre they were using had a SIM card.

Palm is changing the subject to GSM because they want to avoid more details on the Pre itself. Besides it's about time CDN and EU got some release info. We've known the Pre would hit Sprint since January, yet Europe release is still being questioned.

I'd also like to know if they're aiming for Japan at all.(I want native Japanese support)

Just the prototypes in Barcelona....probably because otherwise the phones would have no service! haha