Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems that Sprint has to use roaming quite a bit for their coverage. I assume that would be Verizon. With them moving to LTE(4G) in the future how will that work with Sprint? My fear is they are syncing cash into their 4G which is not compatible with the others so roaming will be an issue. I also wonder with their financial situation will they be able to expand the cell service into medium city areas if the roaming starts to dwindle. I think on these things as I would be signing a 2 year contract. I figure things should be fine for 2 years but I would like to see Sprint expand their OWN coverage and not rely on so much roaming.
    Thanks for your view points. I am on ATT/iPhone now. Trying to learn about Sprint
  2. joelpalm
    4G will only be available in certain areas, right now they have it only in Baltimore. If it is not available in your area, you will be on 3g.
    any move from AT&T coverage will be an upgrade.
    It is all in where you live.

Regardless most carriers rely on roaming in some areas to fill in coverage holes. The OP is correct in the assumption that Sprint will lose those roaming abilities once the other networks (Verizon) switch over to LTE. It will be an issue in around a decade. Its going to take that long for them to launch and move all of their customers off the old CDMA network.

Why Sprint wants to go alone on this is beyond me. Even if their network is superior quality wise they are NOT going to be everywhere and without the ability to roam customers will be left with Sprint or nothing.

Doesn't make any sense to me being the only carrier pushing a lone standard. Sounds even worse that the current CDMA GSM pissing contest with Sprint losing in the end.

Imagine having AT&T and being able to roam on Verizon's network to boot? Money.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsanders3 View Post
    It seems that Sprint has to use roaming quite a bit for their coverage. I assume that would be Verizon. With them moving to LTE(4G) in the future how will that work with Sprint? My fear is they are syncing cash into their 4G which is not compatible with the others so roaming will be an issue. I also wonder with their financial situation will they be able to expand the cell service into medium city areas if the roaming starts to dwindle. I think on these things as I would be signing a 2 year contract. I figure things should be fine for 2 years but I would like to see Sprint expand their OWN coverage and not rely on so much roaming.
    Thanks for your view points. I am on ATT/iPhone now. Trying to learn about Sprint
    WIMAX is a separate network owned and operated by Clear (who is 51% owned by Sprint). It runs on a separate frequency (2500mhz) and has nothing to do with Sprint's core voice and data network. It is a new venture to provide fixed and mobile internet access for computers and consumer electronic devices.

Sprint will eventually need to follow the rest of the industry to LTE when the time comes to replace their CDMA network. That is years away at this point. (2011+)
    will all carriers be on one universal standard after LTE is fully implemented?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Considering that Sprint has made no noise about committing to LTE, I don't see it as likely. If anything, they've got a head start on everybody else - sure, the WiMax network (yes, I know, it's Clear's network, but Clear more or less is owned by Sprint) is already up and running and there are multiple adapters, cards, and there will soon be laptops/netbooks with built-in WiMax cards. Can't say any of that about LTE.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Yes, but on different frequencies using different voice subsystems. Verizon is pushing IMS while AT&T and T-Mobile will likely use VOLGA as it is an easier upgrade from UMTS.
  9.    #9  
    My other thought on this is the phones. It looks like Sprint would be the odd ball out there. You could make one phone for ATT/Verizon then get around to sprint. From what it looks like the Pre is the best phone they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsanders3 View Post
    From what it looks like the Pre is the best phone they have.
    Not yet...
    any move from AT&T coverage will be an upgrade.
    True that, they are even worse than T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by joelpalm View Post
    4G will only be available in certain areas, right now they have it only in Baltimore. If it is not available in your area, you will be on 3g.
    Actually, it is in Portland also.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I'm not sure where you live, but here in southern california Sprint and Verizon have by far the best service and AT&T is total crap. I can't even remember the last time I was on "roaming". I don't even know what that looks like on my phone. Generally I either have service or I don't. Verizon has the same rare dead zones that sprint does, and AT&T has dead zones every other block. As for wimax vs LTE, who knows whats going to happen. So far with only 1 or 2 cities having anything 4G related (on sprint only), it seems wimax is winning out for now. What will happen in 5-10 years when people really start using 4G across the country? Eh, who cares. You'll be years out of your contract, and there will be 3 more versions of the Pre and iphone along with countless other phones.
    I have to disagree with the comment that Sprint relies on roaming "quite a bit." I rarely roam in any city or suburban area I've been in. Coverage is spottier in rural areas, but that's true of all the carriers, especiallly as they've started shutting down their analog systems.

In major urban areas, Sprint's 3g data coverage has been found in independent tests to be better than the other carriers, and there's no reason to think their voice coverage is worse.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I'm not sure where you live, but here in southern california Sprint and Verizon have by far the best service and AT&T is total crap. I can't even remember the last time I was on "roaming". I don't even know what that looks like on my phone. Generally I either have service or I don't. Verizon has the same rare dead zones that sprint does, and AT&T has dead zones every other block. As for wimax vs LTE, who knows whats going to happen. So far with only 1 or 2 cities having anything 4G related (on sprint only), it seems wimax is winning out for now. What will happen in 5-10 years when people really start using 4G across the country? Eh, who cares. You'll be years out of your contract, and there will be 3 more versions of the Pre and iphone along with countless other phones.
    Yeah I have coverage in a lot of places but not all of them have EVDO... only in heavy populated areas and if I don't have signal, I just set my phone to "Roaming Only" and I use Verizon's coverage, like at home.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Yeah I have coverage in a lot of places but not all of them have EVDO... only in heavy populated areas and if I don't have signal, I just set my phone to "Roaming Only" and I use Verizon's coverage, like at home.
    I rarely use my phone for calling anymore and use it for data quite a bit, and EVDO seems to be strong wherever i get any signal.
    I rarely use my phone for calling anymore and use it for data quite a bit, and EVDO seems to be strong wherever i get any signal.
    don't you like talking to people?
    Mine will fade to 1xRT where I live and drop the call unless I switch to roaming. When I leave the house, I switch it back to Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    WIMAX is a separate network owned and operated by Clear (who is 51% owned by Sprint). It runs on a separate frequency (2500mhz) and has nothing to do with Sprint's core voice and data network. It is a new venture to provide fixed and mobile internet access for computers and consumer electronic devices.
    This a commonly misunderstood technology and in particular how companies like Sprint will be using it in their network. Currently, mobile phone companies have to use two systems for a cell phone. One is for voice and the other is for data. With the introduction of WiMAX Sprint will for the first time be able to integrate voice and data on one system because voice calls will be made over the data connection using VoIP technology. This will eliminate the need for a backhaul and cut Sprints operating cost tremendously.

Read this article for a more detailed explanation of how WiMAX will save Sprint money:
    Sprint's Secret to Cost Cutting: WiMAX

Sprint's WiMAX network is currently being sold as a wireless Internet service because no WiMAX phones are out yet. When phones start to roll out next year they will most likely be trimode handsets meaning they will function in three wireless modes. Including WiMAX, CDMA and Wi-Fi. Eventually they will phase out CDMA and be a pure WiMAX network carrying data and voice services. Essentially Sprint will be a wireless data and VoIP provider. So in fact WiMAX will become the core voice and data network for Sprint.
    I dont think you are drawing the correct conclusion from that 3 year old article. It discusses the possibility Sprint using WIMAX as a replacement for traditional backhaul arrangements and the associated cost savings. That has nothing to do with trimode phones or moving to an all VOIP system.

Sprint's backhaul connections are what connect Sprint's CDMA or IDEN cell sites to the larger network. They do not replace the need for a CDMA or IDEN network.

The reason that WIMAX will not replace CDMA, IDEN, GSM, HSPA or (eventually) LTE as the standard of choice for phones and mobile devices isnt technical at all. It is simply market reality. No one is using WIMAX but Sprint. A second tier US only provider. They do not have the customer base to compel manufacturers to support an oddball standard in their phones. Manufacturer support will coalesce behind standards that are widely used. IE: GSM, HSPA, CDMA (to a lesser extent) and eventually, LTE.

WIMAX has a slight reprieve in that Intel is one of its proponents. This means we will likely see it supported by many upcoming laptop chipsets. I suspect it will also make its way into many other CE devices (cameras, game consoles, GPS units etc) and MIDs. This is well suited to the way that Clear has positioned its WIMAX network, as a cheap, fast source of mobile internet access.

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    This a commonly misunderstood technology and in particular how companies like Sprint will be using it in their network. Currently, mobile phone companies have to use two systems for a cell phone. One is for voice and the other is for data. With the introduction of WiMAX Sprint will for the first time be able to integrate voice and data on one system because voice calls will be made over the data connection using VoIP technology. This will eliminate the need for a backhaul and cut Sprints operating cost tremendously.

Read this article for a more detailed explanation of how WiMAX will save Sprint money:
    Sprint's Secret to Cost Cutting: WiMAX

Sprint's WiMAX network is currently being sold as a wireless Internet service because no WiMAX phones are out yet. When phones start to roll out next year they will most likely be trimode handsets meaning they will function in three wireless modes. Including WiMAX, CDMA and Wi-Fi. Eventually they will phase out CDMA and be a pure WiMAX network carrying data and voice services. Essentially Sprint will be a wireless data and VoIP provider. So in fact WiMAX will become the core voice and data network for Sprint.
    Untrue. Wimax is used in several countries (google it) - despite rumors (hype) to the contrary, 4G isn't technology that's behind. Quite the contrary, LTE is not yet in existence, where many countries have adopted 4G (the same for CDMA, which is often also misunderstood - though the two technologies have nothing to do with each other).

It really depends on the capabilities of phones and network adapters in the future. Today Sprint has a 3G/4G network adapter, and once 4G rolls out this will be realized in smartphones as well.

As for hopping from one networking standard to another, it all depends on the radio capability of the device. Once the technology evolves its a simple matter to hop from a 4g network to one that supports LTE.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast