Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    WIMAX is a separate network owned and operated by Clear (who is 51% owned by Sprint).
    I think its Clearwire.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    I dont think you are drawing the correct conclusion from that 3 year old article. It discusses the possibility Sprint using WIMAX as a replacement for traditional backhaul arrangements and the associated cost savings. That has nothing to do with trimode phones or moving to an all VOIP system.

The reason that WIMAX will not replace CDMA, IDEN, GSM, HSPA or (eventually) LTE as the standard of choice for phones and mobile devices isnt technical at all. It is simply market reality. No one is using WIMAX but Sprint. A second tier US only provider. They do not have the customer base to compel manufacturers to support an oddball standard in their phones.
    Ok here is a recent article indicating a Sprint WiMAX phone that will use VoIP:

http://www.wimax360.com/profiles/blogs/sprint-may-sell-trimode-phone

Far as manufacturers for WiMAX phones you're forgetting Nokia and Motorola also have agreements to build devices for the WiMAX network.

It's not hard to see WiMAX taking over older network technology. It's quite expensive to run CDMA, 1XRT, EVDO and WiMAX. Not to mention the battery drain fram all the radio chips. WiMAX is one of the first technologies that has the capacity for voice and data so it would only make sense to go this way. Plus they really don't have much of a choice since the race for faster data speeds has opened the possibility of users getting plans with only data and setting up their own VoIP thereby avoiding charges for minutes.

I personally will wait and see what companies like MetroPCS does. Given they are suposed to launch their own LTE network quickly and could have roaming agreements with all the other mobile operators, it might make sense to jump over to them when the technology matures.
    Devices, MIDs, netbooks, laptops sure. I even agree that many of those will support VOIP officially or otherwise. But you arnt going to see Nokia make the next N series phone with WIMAX or RIM put out a WIMAX model. It is just too much of a niche market.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I think its Clearwire.
    Whatever it is they are on their 3rd name xohm, clearwire, clear... nice job with making a consistent marketing message guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    Untrue. Wimax is used in several countries (google it) - despite rumors (hype) to the contrary, 4G isn't technology that's behind. Quite the contrary, LTE is not yet in existence, where many countries have adopted 4G (the same for CDMA, which is often also misunderstood - though the two technologies have nothing to do with each other).

It really depends on the capabilities of phones and network adapters in the future. Today Sprint has a 3G/4G network adapter, and once 4G rolls out this will be realized in smartphones as well.

As for hopping from one networking standard to another, it all depends on the radio capability of the device. Once the technology evolves its a simple matter to hop from a 4g network to one that supports LTE.
    WIMAX is deployed for mobile and fixed ISPs in a few countries, nowhere is it used as a replacement for a cell network.

I could see some phones with a WIMAX radio, just like some have a wifi radio today. But it isnt going to be replacing a real cell network like cdma or hspa.
    Humm... Are there any phones equipped for 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by CJDynasty View Post
    Humm... Are there any phones equipped for 4G.
    As of today... no.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    The n810 wimax edition has a VOIP client didnt it? It was about as close as you will get I think!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    True that, they are even worse than T-Mobile.

Actually, it is in Portland also.
    It has not been rolled out officially in Chicago, but I've been using it here since December '08.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

WIMAX is deployed for mobile and fixed ISPs in a few countries, nowhere is it used as a replacement for a cell network.

I could see some phones with a WIMAX radio, just like some have a wifi radio today. But it isnt going to be replacing a real cell network like cdma or hspa.
    Define "few".

The WiMAX Forum now claims there are over 400 WiMAX networks deployed in over 130 countries.
    WiMAX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    More then a couple, less then a lot.

I think you will find that nowhere in that extensive list is there a single carrier using WIMAX as a replacement for CDMA, GSM or HSPA.
    I think you will find that nowhere in that extensive list is there a single carrier using WIMAX as a replacement for CDMA, GSM or HSPA.
    I'm not disputing that - in fact I said the same thing:

Quite the contrary, LTE is not yet in existence, where many countries have adopted 4G (the same for CDMA, which is often also misunderstood - though the two technologies have nothing to do with each other).
    What I am disputing are these two statements from you:

The reason that WIMAX will not replace CDMA, IDEN, GSM, HSPA or (eventually) LTE as the standard of choice for phones and mobile devices isnt technical at all. It is simply market reality. No one is using WIMAX but Sprint. A second tier US only provider. They do not have the customer base to compel manufacturers to support an oddball standard in their phones. Manufacturer support will coalesce behind standards that are widely used. IE: GSM, HSPA, CDMA (to a lesser extent) and eventually, LTE.
    and

WIMAX is deployed for mobile and fixed ISPs in a few countries
    The fact is that Sprint does not need to move to LTE, wimax is doing just fine - worldwide - because it isn't an "oddball standard". Manufacturers have already coalesced behind WiMAX. Furthermore, LTE is not even a standard (yet-this isn't expected until 2010), and is deployed exactly nowhere.

Just keeping the facts straight.
    Sprint doesnt need to move to LTE. Yet. But they will need to make the move before their CDMA roaming partners here in the US do. That will be sometime in the future (2014+) but it will happen.

While a few manufacturers have committed to making phones with WIMAX in them, most (all?) of the big phone manufacturers (nokia, Moto, LG, Samsung et al) have committed to using LTE going forward. I dont dispute that there will be numerous tablets, MIDs, laptops etc with WIMAX built in just like current devices with wifi built in. But I am not aware of any upcoming phones using WIMAX as their primary air interface. Are you?
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    As of today... no.
    THE PRE WILL BE 4G! Just wishful thinking. Would be a reason they would not let anyone touch it. & something the other carriers & iPhone could not top.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    If Sprint is going to stay with WiMax for its 4G service, then this is promising...

Clearwire selects Cisco to help build 4G network | Wireless - CNET News
    bryanharig,
    I can't figure out if you are bitter for Sprint choosing WiMAX or have some interest in LTE dominating the market place but I detect a personal interest and bias in your comments. I personally don't care what technology Sprint uses as long as the net effect is it to allows me to use my PDA phone in all the places I need to without reception issues and have blazing Internet speeds with a low cost monthly plan. I'm not stuck on Sprint but I'll keep my mind open to WiMAX. LTE is really no different then WiMAX they are both all IP networks based on OFDM technology. I've backed up many of the statements I've made about this technology with links to news/tech articles in this and other threads with you. You have not backed up a single thing that contradicts me in your statements.

Keep in mind we're talking about the future and although you don't see some of the things I'm talking about yet, the culmination of articles I've read point to this direction in the future. At the very least, everything I've said is possible and with good reason.
    I don't see WiMAX and VoIP as a niche market, I see it being used with LTE as well as WiMAX but here are some big companies looking at it.

The largest networking and telecommunications equipment supplier in China see's using WiMAX VoIP as a cost-efficient way of communication:
    Huawei*-*WiMAX VoIP Solution

Microsoft Planning to Use Zune as WiMAX a Phone:
    Even More Zune Phone Rumors! WiMax? VoIP? Sharing With Anybody?
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    yeah i think the traditional cell phone will be a thing of the past with both wimax and lte. they will all move to a system similar to voip (but controlled by the network operators). it saves them a ton of $ to only have to run 1 set of towers/network.

and devices like that rumored zune would work much better than they do now.... think xbox live type of gaming on these devices (with that kind of presence). here is to hoping these networks get deployed asap.
    I am never on roam
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    I think at some point Palm will just add a WiMax radio in addition to the 3G & Wifi radios on their phones. No need to route voice over WiMax when 3G voice works fine.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast