Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Releasing the device the day before the iPhone 3.0?! Any media the Pre gets will be drown out by the iPhone!

My goodness, I thought they weren't that stupid!
    They may be hoping to share the spotlight, but I also think it's more likely that Apple will steal most of it. I'm sure Apple has something up their sleeves, assuming that rumor about them snatching up all the flash memory is true.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. joelpalm
    Because they have, of course, said officially that they are releasing it on June 7th.
    They will be sharing the spotlight. The Pre and the new iPhone will be compared side by side all over the internet. If the Pre is better or comparable, they will do fine. If the Pre is worse than the new iPhone, they are screwed and should start closing their doors.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I don't think they're crazy. I think they're geniuses!

I think they are confident in hitting the competition head on because they hold in their hands a superior product.

This is gonna be exciting!
    Plus, the new iPhone may be ANNOUNCED on the 8th, but I don't think it's very likely it'll be released that day.
    If someone is ends up being on the fence between the two, can get the Pre now and have to wait for several months for the iPhone I wonder who they're gonna' go for.
    We don't know what Palm has up THEIR sleeve either....
    and we dont know the release date!
    Quote Originally Posted by joelpalm View Post
    Because they have, of course, said officially that they are releasing it on June 7th.
    I missed that email, pamphlet, phone call, commercial, etc.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    They will be sharing the spotlight. The Pre and the new iPhone will be compared side by side all over the internet. If the Pre is better or comparable, they will do fine. If the Pre is worse than the new iPhone, they are screwed and should start closing their doors.
    Not that I am claiming to know of a different release date, but I think it is VERY misleading to use language like "They will..."
    Please cite your source, and I am hoping it will be a direct source.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    They release anytime and they will be compared to the bloody iPhone. If the comparisons are inevitable then why shy away. If it is June 7 so be it. If the Pre isn't up to snuff then the reviews would have said so whether they released it in February or June. If the Pre stacks up well then putting it out against an iPhone announcement only underlines how good it is.
    OR
    Maybe, just maybe,
    Palm is guessing that there are actually a group of potential phone buyers that aren't completely mesmerized by Apple's dog and pony shows and might be able to look past they hype and look at a phone based on its capabilities and not its "cool" factor.
    Palm doesn't need Apple's numbers to survive. A small piece of the market will be fine.

No offense intended to Apple and their fans.
    True that June 7 is another rumor, but since they won't tell us anything, no wonder there's so much speculation every time that "Insider" group posts something!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The most palm should be doing with the pre on June 7th better be releasing new apps and maybe the first patch for it.

Otherwise, pull your investments out of palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    True that June 7 is another rumor, but since they won't tell us anything, no wonder there's so much speculation every time that "Insider" group posts something!
    I thoroughly agree!

Speculation is cool. Reporting a speculation as a fact is misleading, especially to new members and members who have not been following the whole story (2 yrs +), or members who do not do research. Just trying to keep it real.

I enjoy your posts, by the way.
    justjill3

Jesus, please stop this. How many threads do we need on this?

Iphone customers are not the target audience of the Pre. They are all under contract and most people are not going to break contract paying the ETF to move over a phone that does slightly more than the one they have.

Sure some of us might do that but the average consumer, not the rabid 1% we make up, will not.

So get over the stupid Iphone / 3.0 release. If people haven't switched in almost 2 years for the damn Iphone they aren't going to run out and buy one just because 3.0 comes out and gives some functions that should have been included since release.

Its not a big deal.
    You underestimate the Apple marketing machine.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Palm/Sprint feel that the Pre has things that the iphone doesn't. Most people seem to think that the new iphone will be mostly small upgrades that largely won't improve the phone. This means that reviewers will be comparing a revolutionary change in a Palm device to an incremental upgrade to the iPhone. The iPhone will have been out for two years with two upgrades. Anything that the Pre does better will be talked about because it is the first WebOS device. There will also be no waiting. If the Pre came out 3 weeks before the iPhone people would still be saying "I'll wait 3 weeks to see.." Then the iPhone will be shiny and new.

Head to Head is the best bet at this point in time. If they couldn't release it months (note the plural) ahead of time, then they shouldn't give themselves only a couple weeks of press.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpavey View Post
    Palm/Sprint feel that the Pre has things that the iphone doesn't. Most people seem to think that the new iphone will be mostly small upgrades that largely won't improve the phone. This means that reviewers will be comparing a revolutionary change in a Palm device to an incremental upgrade to the iPhone. The iPhone will have been out for two years with two upgrades. Anything that the Pre does better will be talked about because it is the first WebOS device. There will also be no waiting. If the Pre came out 3 weeks before the iPhone people would still be saying "I'll wait 3 weeks to see.." Then the iPhone will be shiny and new.

Head to Head is the best bet at this point in time. If they couldn't release it months (note the plural) ahead of time, then they shouldn't give themselves only a couple weeks of press.
    Thank you, this is what I have been saying for weeks. I will add, right price and right marketing definitely alter the playing field as well. And that price and marketing difference could be music to the ears of iPhone 1 users fed up with AT&T or who are always looking for that next new thing and those who are looking for an iPhone-like experience but who have yet to be compelled by Apple.
  20.    #20  
    what if sprint has something up their sleeves, something like.... $99 price???!!!!

!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast