Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    They will be sharing the spotlight. The Pre and the new iPhone will be compared side by side all over the internet. If the Pre is better or comparable, they will do fine. If the Pre is worse than the new iPhone, they are screwed and should start closing their doors.
    From what has been gleamed it might be the latter. If that's the case that's a shame. Palm should have known better to at least have the same if not better specs that Apple would be coming out with. As it is it looks like they were shooting for the Iphone 1G not even 2G. Even if you could only at the time put in 8gig of storage there should have been a micro sd slot for adding more storage. Short sighted and half arsed. I'm not saying they had to be a mind reader here. But if you want to keep up with the Jones' you have to be up to the Jones'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    Releasing the device the day before the iPhone 3.0?! Any media the Pre gets will be drown out by the iPhone!

My goodness, I thought they weren't that stupid!
    Why are you always so negative???
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    A little confused with all rumours going around. So, is Apple releasing a new iPhone on June 8th or is that just speculation ? It is a fact that they will be releasing their new operating system right ? So, as of right now we really don't know what Apple is doing in regards to what they will release during their dog & pony show, and we don't know when Sprint will release the Pre.

Personally I don't have a problem is Sprint do release on the 7th June. If the Pre is the phone that we all want it to be then going up against the iPhone (new phone or just updated OS) is going to happen regardless. Due to the fact that the Pre is obviously intended to be a direct competitor to the iPhone it is just common sense that it will get head to head comparisons as soon as the Pre is release.
    Apple is just holding a conference to talk about its upcoming iphone and ipod touch that will be released sometime in the SUMMER. The conference is intended to kick start the hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    what if sprint has something up their sleeves, something like.... $99 price???!!!!

!
    Yes! what if its even FREE!!!??? Or maybe they'll even GIVE you money to sign up!!!???

Do we really need more threads like this? Guess what? 99% of the people who buy cell phones don't visit message boards! They go to stores and get sold by the salespeople... been like that and always will be God, all these useless posts and threads really make me miss the "I just got this new phone today and its a POS" threads.
    Have you ever seen a kindle in person? The advantage is it looks just like paper and doesn't bother your eyes like a backlit screen does. It's not meant to compete with multimedia devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by davetati View Post
    A little confused with all rumours going around. So, is Apple releasing a new iPhone on June 8th or is that just speculation ? It is a fact that they will be releasing their new operating system right ? So, as of right now we really don't know what Apple is doing in regards to what they will release during their dog & pony show, and we don't know when Sprint will release the Pre.

Personally I don't have a problem is Sprint do release on the 7th June. If the Pre is the phone that we all want it to be then going up against the iPhone (new phone or just updated OS) is going to happen regardless. Due to the fact that the Pre is obviously intended to be a direct competitor to the iPhone it is just common sense that it will get head to head comparisons as soon as the Pre is release.
    It is the consensus speculation that Apple will be revealing their new iPhone at WWDC. Of course, Apple's been mum on the subject (as expected).
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    I don't think they're crazy. I think they're geniuses!

I think they are confident in hitting the competition head on because they hold in their hands a superior product.

This is gonna be exciting!
    Jewel - At first I thought Palm had lost their minds, but now I'm beginning to feel the same way you do. In either case, this WILL be quite a ride!
    I know i'm late but I agree with u they have an superb product and it will make noise against the iphone
    finally some speaking with common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Yes! what if its even FREE!!!??? Or maybe they'll even GIVE you money to sign up!!!???

Do we really need more threads like this? Guess what? 99% of the people who buy cell phones don't visit message boards! They go to stores and get sold by the salespeople... been like that and always will be God, all these useless posts and threads really make me miss the "I just got this new phone today and its a POS" threads.
    Well you sound like a fun guy!

This is a DISCUSSION board and people should be able to speculate within reasonable discussion.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    i for 1 will be taking that ride with them,and for those who don't do research do it then get back with me. just being real!
    not funny just interested.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Why is June 7 significant? ...... It represents the ending date of 2 year contracts for the original iphone users. I expect a huge media blitz. Palm knows they are playing for their lives. I also expect great pricing to make the switch enticing. We shall see. Oh and June 7 is my birthday. My wife already knows what I want :-)
    thread is gettin frosty ... ;-(
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by george919 View Post
    Why is June 7 significant? ...... It represents the ending date of 2 year contracts for the original iphone users. I expect a huge media blitz. Palm knows they are playing for their lives. I also expect great pricing to make the switch enticing. We shall see. Oh and June 7 is my birthday. My wife already knows what I want :-)

Good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well you sound like a fun guy!
    Dear Mr. Feder, you sound like a REAL attractive guy!

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Roseanne Rosannadanna on Smoking
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    When you're drowning, you reach for help ASAP. That is the most obvious and most sound business strategy. In other words, Palm should have gotten out the Pre ASAP. June 7 is better than July 7, but releasing within a week upon announcement in January would have been better. I feel like any other reasons that support June 7 being better than a January release 6 months earlier are only trying to rationalize a botched product launch. If Palm/Sprint executives actually planned to upstage the iPhone on purpose by launching at the same time, this is a ballsy approach and hitting for the grandslam or striking out in spectacular fashion that will be you-tubed for all to see. It will be a case study in how not to launch something for future business students.

If the Pre fails, and I don't think that it will, Palm should be dead but won't be dead, b/c it's on its 99th life now. This is a company that can't die. What this phone will be, says the crystal ball, is an evolved Treo with a similar market share. It's enough to keep a company afloat financially, but I can't believe that it will ever approach the iPhone's status as pop cultural icon and market dominance. Remember if the iphone was expanded like the ipods have shuffles, nanos, touches, and classics, I'm thinking that the iphone would have a similar dominance like the ipod. When has just one model of a phone garnered so much market share? Once they decide to go after the lower end of the market and stop catering to only the high end, I think the iPhone will see sales steeply shoot up again.
    I also think its very smart, this will force everybody to compare the product head on. Nobody will have chance to single out one without mentioning the other.

Since I firmly believe pre is a superior product, I can only see positives of this side by side comparison.

Of course, if pre is a inferior product, this will just close palm and sprint, but boy, isn't this exciting? Since Pre actually will not let iPhone standing alone this time. and probably will beat it to the dust...
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    Palm should have gotten out the Pre ASAP
    What makes you think that they haven't They've said the first half of '08 from the start, which was unlikely to be anything other than the end of that period. If Palm/Sprint could have released it soon after the announcement then I'm sure they would have done.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast