Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Found an interesting blog on Web giants and the helpless individual | Software as Services | ZDNet.com today.

The gist is that with the cloud today (specifically Google, Amazon and others among the other links given there) apps, files, accounts can and do disappear, sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently. The sites typically have little or no contact, support or status information in the case of problems, provide little or no backup capability, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by azjerry View Post
    Found an interesting blog on Web giants and the helpless individual | Software as Services | ZDNet.com today.

The gist is that with the cloud today (specifically Google, Amazon and others among the other links given there) apps, files, accounts can and do disappear, sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently. The sites typically have little or no contact, support or status information in the case of problems, provide little or no backup capability, etc.
    Doesn't bother me a bit. By definition, everything we do on the Internet is in "the cloud." I have issues sometimes connecting to any and all of my email accounts via my desktop Outlook client. Can't see how it'll be any different.

I wouldn't rely on anyone whose long-term financial viability is suspect (and no, I don't think Palm will have any problem surviving, so let's just put that aside for the moment), but the likes of Google and Amazon are as reliable, I think, as anything I can do on my desktop.
    The way I look at it..if something is really important, back it up yourself. I have backups of everything, and we are now hearing that Palm is going to offer some sort of free backup for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    ....we are now hearing that Palm is going to offer some sort of free backup for the Pre.
    But that will be in the cloud too!

I have been on Exchange for about 3 years and it goes down occasionally but always comes back. The "cloud" is probably as reliable as anything else - the Pre could die, your PC could die, etc and you could lose data that has not been backed up. But overall, if you have your data in more than one place, you should be covered.