Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is a pretty good article from Tom Krazit (an iPhone lover) that discusses the impact the Pre will have on the smartphone market, kind of. It's worth a read, and it's also worth noting that Tom is CNet's reporter for Apple, as in he's as much an Apple zealot as anyone they have over there. He is the kind of tech journalist who will review whatever comes out of WWDC and likely compare it to the Pre. So this is perhaps a foretaste of what we might expect.

Bottom line from Tom:
    Some may dismiss these differences as simply user preferences. But multitasking and notifications are among the most important reasons to own a mobile computer, and few companies have managed to come up with something that advances the game along those lines since the iPhone OS made its debut. Palm has.
    Can a Palm Pre multitask better than an iPhone? | Wireless - CNET News
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    The title is misleading. The iPhone doesn't multitask.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    The title is misleading. The iPhone doesn't multitask.
    Well, truth be told, it multitasks in a very limited way (the iPod runs in the background for example). I think Tom's definition of multitasking may have been more user-centric, as in a user doing multiple things at once.

But yeah, I agree, it's a misleading title.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Yes, a very nice and balanced article, thanks for the link. And I agree with him on both accounts: some will (amazingly) dismiss the differences as "user preferences," and they really are vital to the mobile computing experience.

To me, the single best example of both multitasking and the power of Palm's notifications will (hopefully) be the navigation app: if it's done right, then when you're navigating somewhere and switch to a different application, then next turn and ETA will remain updated in the notifications area. Kind of like the Pandora app does it. And that's so different from any other device as to truly make the Pre a groundbreaker.

My golly, can't wait any longer. Going crazy.

As far as the article's title, it's a valid question and, like all good headlines, grab's attention. And the answer is simple: yes, the Pre _does_ multitask better than the iPhone. Even if the iPhone did absolutely no multitasking at all, you could still ask and answer that question. It's like asking, does a bird fly better than a human being? Of course it does.
    But the question implies that an iphone can multitask. Yep, it'll play music in the background. But then again, so could the old Palm OS.
    WOW, things are heating up regarding iPhone vs Pre fanboys. Dont remember seeing so many comments on a story that fast on CNET Pre story (meaning on CNET site, not here).
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    WOW, things are heating up regarding iPhone vs Pre fanboys. Dont remember seeing so many comments on a story that fast on CNET Pre story (meaning on CNET site, not here).
    Well, it is featured on the CNET front page.

Edit: It was. It's not anymore, apparently
    Last edited by Derek Kessler; 05/06/2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Curse these changing conditions! ARGH!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    But the question implies that an iphone can multitask. Yep, it'll play music in the background. But then again, so could the old Palm OS.
    The iPhone multitasks just fine. A jail broken iPhone can run an app that will run any other iPhone app in the background. The iPhone OS is based on Mac OS X which multitasks just as well as any linux distro.
    jailbreaking doesn't apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The iPhone multitasks just fine. A jail broken iPhone can run an app that will run any other iPhone app in the background. The iPhone OS is based on Mac OS X which multitasks just as well as any linux distro.
    Dude thats like saying my BMW M5 will go 210MPH while it wont, a modded M5 will.

One has to take the time to learn how to do it (which 99% of the people dont/wont) or, paying someone to do it. again... not many people will do it.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Dude thats like saying my BMW M5 will go 210MPH while it wont, a modded M5 will.

One has to take the time to learn how to do it (which 99% of the people dont/wont) or, paying someone to do it. again... not many people will do it.
    You are missing the point. Apple can "add" multi-tasking to the iPhone with little more than a couple of strokes of Steve Job's pen. I don't think that they will feel the need to however. All the smartphone operating systems apart from PalmOS support multi-tasking and don't impose the restrictions that Apple does. It hasn't stopped the iPhone from dominating the Market (along with RIM of course).
    It's just like the PSP. When it was first released, the clock speed was at 222mhz. Modders allowed it to be overclocked to 333mhz. Eventually Sony loosened their grasp a bit & let some developers officially use the 333mhz clock speed.

The iPhone most likely has the ability to multitask (probably not as fast/stable as the Pre seems to be), but like ADGrant said...It takes some corporate heads to allow it.
    It was a good article. Thanks for the link OP, I usually avoid CNET like the plague so I woundnt have seen it otherwise.
    You are missing the point. Apple can "add" multi-tasking to the iPhone with little more than a couple of strokes of Steve Job's pen. I don't think that they will feel the need to however. All the smartphone operating systems apart from PalmOS support multi-tasking and don't impose the restrictions that Apple does. It hasn't stopped the iPhone from dominating the Market (along with RIM of course).
    The iPhone GUI, even the new one in 3.0, isn't designed for multitasking. Apple is VERY big on making the iPhone easy to use, which expands their market beyond just techies like us. So they will need to make a new GUI, from scratch, that will allow easy opening/closing of apps ala cards in webOS.

I expect a complete GUI redesign in the iPhone 4.0 software. If they want to add multitasking this is a must.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    The iPhone most likely has the ability to multitask (probably not as fast/stable as the Pre seems to be), but like ADGrant said...It takes some corporate heads to allow it.
    Multitasking on the iPhone will be at least as stable as Pre's. Speed is more dependent on the CPU. The Carnegie Mellon MACH micro kernal on which the precursor to OS X was based, was specifically designed to support multi-threading as efficiently as possible.

All the current Smart Phone operating systems support multi-tasking. The only exception is PalmOS which is basically a dead platform at this point.
    I can't multitask on my iphone (sorry..playing music in background doesn't cut it). Therefore it doesn't support it. I don't care if it can be enabled (supported) in the future. So what?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The iPhone GUI, even the new one in 3.0, isn't designed for multitasking. Apple is VERY big on making the iPhone easy to use, which expands their market beyond just techies like us. So they will need to make a new GUI, from scratch, that will allow easy opening/closing of apps ala cards in webOS.

I expect a complete GUI redesign in the iPhone 4.0 software. If they want to add multitasking this is a must.
    Adding as task switcher is not going to require a GUI redesign. Its just another application.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I can't multitask on my iphone (sorry..playing music in background doesn't cut it). Therefore it doesn't support it. I don't care if it can be enabled (supported) in the future. So what?
    OTOH If I bought an iPhone (shich I have not interest in doing), I would be multitasking on it. BTW Several of the built-in apps multi-task. The phone app can support AT&T's 3G network which is something they could apparently never do with PalmOS.
    I have a new article I'm writing - "Can the Pre multitask better than a ham sandwich?"

Seriously, this article is asking if the Pre can multitask better than someything that doesn't multitask.. poor title choice.
    "...will run an app that will run any other iPhone app in the background..."

Really, do NOT want to get into a Pre vs. iPhone debate here, but my golly, that sounds silly. On the one hand, you have the Pre, which was designed specifically to multitask and to elegantly interact with the user when in the background. On the other hand, you have the iPhone, which, when used in an unsupported fashion, "...will run an app that will run any other iPhone app in the background..." Of course, that background app won't have been _designed_ to run in the background, and there's no mechanism for it to interact with the user, but hey...

As I've mentioned before, cognitive dissonance explains why some Apple fans will go to the lengths they will to defend real limitations in Apple products.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast