Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    I don't disagree it is a great device, and people buy it for many different reasons. I was just noting if given the option, wouldn't you rather the device that has less locked by the manufacturer from the start?
    I would prefer the device that best meets my needs after I have modified it to the limits I am comfortable with. A jail broken phone will have at least two major advantages over a Pre:

1) It's an iPod.

2) The huge application library.

OTOH I don't have one myself because I don't really like touch screens.
    But the Pre seems dependent on touch too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I would prefer the device that best meets my needs after I have modified it to the limits I am comfortable with. A jail broken phone will have at least two major advantages over a Pre:

1) It's an iPod.

2) The huge application library.

OTOH I don't have one myself because I don't really like touch screens.
    I should have said, would the average consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Maybe someone better versed in the technical aspects can explain what Palm meant when they said they designed WebOS from the ground up for a mobile device.
    What I take it to mean is that Apple took their existing desktop operating system and stripped it down slightly to use on the iPhone, whereas Palm started from nothing (of course, because they had nothing) and wrote their operating system. Sure, Webkit is something that already existed, as did the Linux at the core of it, but this was designed for a smartphone from the very beginning.

While there are benefits for Apple for doing it their way, performance is not one of those. I know people who are disappointed with the speed of the iPhone without any applications installed on it. While I can't say with certainty that the Pre will be that much faster (unfortunately probably not too much of a speed difference in practice, because of the necessary interpreter), from a design philosophy standpoint it should be much more efficient the way Palm has done it. It's easier to build up from nothing than it is to start from something large and strip things down.
    It's an iPod!

Which to me means it plays music, podcasts, and video while using Itunes.

As much as noone hardly has heard of the Pre, even less would think Palm when thinking mp3 player (or alternate to Ipod).

And yet, Palm went to considerable trouble to design a slider phone so they could give us a screen large enough for media (or browsing or whatever). They put a standard headjack on it. And made the screen higher resolution, multitouch, and capacitive. Oh and they partnered with Amazon to include an on phone mp3 store.

Anyways, some (not all) the ingredients are there. All that's left to do is tell Joe Blow about Palm's version of the iPod right? Because Palm did this so well in the past right?

Palm is just a PalmTunes desktop app away from finishing the job they started here. An app that provides playlists, media mgmt along with integration with Amazon's mp3 store, amazon's video store, Palm's app catalog, podcast subscription, and syncs with Outlook. Don't make it mandatory, but me thinks a vast majority is trained to do this and will need this if you want to be competitive.

Oh and make a webOS media player, give it a cool name, give it EVDO rev a (key thing..optional for buyer to use at around 25-30 a month..even less if they got a Pre plan), wifi, and sit back and profit. Just releasing this device would go a long way in promoting the fact that Palm, yes Palm, can be thought of as an iPod alternative. And in promoting that fact, it would sell more phones as well but its needed moreso to pump up Palm's brand.

This isn't copying really. Palm has released non-phone devices before. Except the organizer market is dried up. Been replaced by a media player/organizer/apps player market with really one one company playing in it. There's room for more.

I'd do this before worrying about any Foleo type of device.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But the Pre seems dependent on touch too.
    It does, which is a negative for me. I like the Treo/Centro approach which blends a touch screen with hard buttons for the most important functions such as phone, messaging and calender. It makes one handed operation very easy. OTOH At least the Pre has a slide out querty keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's an iPod!

Which to me means it plays music, podcasts, and video while using Itunes.
    And to me, it interfaces to the iDrive & audio system in my car.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123