Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This may not be a big deal, probably isn't, but I found it interesting.

If you go to http://www.sprint.com/pre you get redirected to Sprint: Meet the Palm Pre , Sprint's Now Network web page.

For those that don't mess around with web servers, this has to be programmed into the web server. It's also not the default for any unknown directory on the server - for instance, if you try http://www.sprint.com/other , you get their search page.

This means that Sprint is directly redirecting would be Pre users to their Now 4G network page.

Maybe it's just marketing, or maybe there is something to the 4G surprise?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    This may not be a big deal, probably isn't, but I found it interesting.

If you go to http://www.sprint.com/pre you get redirected to Sprint: Meet the Palm Pre , Sprint's Now Network web page.

For those that don't mess around with web servers, this has to be programmed into the web server. It's also not the default for any unknown directory on the server - for instance, if you try http://www.sprint.com/other , you get their search page.

This means that Sprint is directly redirecting would be Pre users to their Now 4G network page.

Maybe it's just marketing, or maybe there is something to the 4G surprise?
    Sorry, but if you believe it, then you're really setting yourself up for a big disappointment. Sprint's 4G is aimed at network PC cards, not phones right now, so you won't be seeing a 4G phone anytime soon. Don't read too much into it. Sometimes, a duck is just a duck.
    I agree with outrigger, there is no way this has wimax in it.
    agree.
    4 G is still in it's ealry stages w/ Sprint. It's been tested in cities like baltimore, with network cards.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Eh. If I type in http://www.sprint.com/instinct, it routes be to their goofy Instinct page

But if I type in http://www.sprint.com/ace or http://www.sprint.com/rant it chokes and gives me that annoying "You're lost, aren't you?" look.
    Last edited by Derek Kessler; 05/06/2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Razzin' frazzin' autoparsing.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Eh. If I type in Instinct Phone from Sprint, it routes be to their goofy Instinct page
    This is interesting. The Instinct is just as much on the "Now Network" as the Pre is, yet it doesn't have an advertisement for 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    This is interesting. The Instinct is just as much on the "Now Network" as the Pre is, yet it doesn't have an advertisement for 4G.
    It's the old Instinct. Have a rerouting thing is just a way to be sure that they can steer as much traffic to their teaser pages. Don't read too much into the mention of 4G, you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment (and believe me, I'd love to be surprised).
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    4G, as someone else said, is aimed towards laptop users.

Not phones.
    Even if it had 4G, it means nothing for me. By the time it gets in my area, i'll be on an upgraded phone from the Pre.

I'm not sure why Sprint would want to sell an HD tv and then have to explain to customers they're out of luck getting HD...know what i mean? It doesn't add enough value yet to be worthwhile. On the contrary, it might backfire (with complaints) since their network isn't ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Don't read too much into the mention of 4G, you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment (and believe me, I'd love to be surprised).
    Doesn't matter to me, in fact I'm hoping it doesn't have 4G. My town won't be getting 4G for many years so the less reason sprint has to charge more for the pre the better it is for me.
    AT&T sold 3G before it was fully cooked. Maybe Sprint thinks it can do that too with 4G. Just speculation. However I would like to know what the big Pre secret is if it isn't 4G.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Who said there was a secret?
    3000 Anytime + Mobile-to-Mobile + 7pm Nights & Weekends + Unlimited Data & PowerVision Services + Unlimited Text = $20 a month
    Blackberry 8330 - Paired with: Aliph Jawbone II
    I agree...I do not believe there is a secret. simply put...the device isnt ready yet..
    Then what's with employees getting fired and sites being pulled if there's no secret? Also complete silence from Palm and Sprint. What's the big deal?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    There is no big deal, people here thinking they have a right to know everything right this second are causing their own problems.

There will also be no 4g Radio in this version of the Pre. You have a better chance of seeing a 16gb version or one without a camera.
    People would like some info because Sprint wants us to buy the Pre but can't seem to provide any official info for it. If you want people to buy your product, either start saying something or people will start looking elsewhere.

I realize they had no choice but to announce very early, but this lack of current info is a bit frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    People would like some info because Sprint wants us to buy the Pre but can't seem to provide any official info for it. If you want people to buy your product, either start saying something or people will start looking elsewhere.

I realize they had no choice but to announce very early, but this lack of current info is a bit frustrating.
    The CES announcement was more to generate investor interest hence the vague 1st half 09 talk, essentially saying we have something coming but don't expect significant ROI until Q3. It worked, the stock ballooned.
    The secrecy since then is to be expected, the last thing they want is everything that makes the Pre a Pre being copied or launched before or soon after they launch Pre. They can't announce just a price because it will result in rampant speculation over it being too high unless they release more specs and details to justify any price announcement. Release date has the same issues because people will declare it DOA, as some here already are, if it is too close to the iPhone unless they provide more details about the phone. All of these would be bad for their stock price and the company. Everything will be released all at once when they are ready.
    Is the secrecy maddening to us? Yes. But it isn't overblown, leaks mean a loss of competitive advantage and could be seriously problematic for a company on the brink.
    When they finally announce it will be big and the advertising will more than make up for the current dearth of information.
    Last edited by prereferee; 05/06/2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    I've read all that stuff before. Sony Ericsson did this with several of their phones and by the time they were released, they were considered duds, out of date or not up to the original hype. Although to be fair, SE waited an even longer time without any info. But the fact remains that when they announced certain phones, they didn't follow through with anything concerning them in a timely manner and it helped to hurt them.

That and also apparently not realizing that feature phones shouldn't have been so much of their focus.

All I can say is nothing to me seems to be off in terms of what they are doing, and I would assume they are working their tails off to make this a success. I am optimistic, but as always cautiously so and see no reason yet to change attitudes. We will know what we know when we know it and hopefully everything works to plan and is successful.
    That's all anyone in the general public can do, assume. And given that this is Palm and there's no word about much of anything 2 months from the given end of the line, yes it's starting to look a bit dicey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast