Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am just as excited as the next phone geek about the up and coming Pre! Sure I check all the blogs all the time and even have my twitter feed linked to the blogs that I check all the time just to make sure I don't miss a thing. However, I have a fear. A fear that the Pre won't live up to my built up expectations. After all the waiting and reading and speculating...what if it falls short of what has become the most anticipated gadget of my life? For the most part I quell my fears because, well, I haven't handled a Pre yet. BUT with the various reports of "plasticy feel" and "cramped keyboard" I can't help but think, what if?
    What if this "thing" that has been built up in my mind to be the coolest of the cool, the hippest of the hip, over the last 5 months is nothing but a cheap plasticy toy that's been erroneously portrayed by 2 companies that are barely treading water?

Anyone else have a similar fear or am I crazy?
    Depends on how much you build it up first. Everything depends on your expectations going in. Hopefully it meets or exceeds them, but we all need to ensure some rationality here too. Is it going to be perfect for everybody or live up to everyone's expectations, no. But few things do. The key is not being disappointed in the negatives and recognizing the positives and if those positives are too few, then use the option of returning it.
    As of right now we have rumors and speculations all over the place, we don't have much as 100% ground truth.
    Answers are coming, no need to fear; you will just have to experience it for yourself and come to your own conclusions.
    i have the SAME fear.
    mostly about the plasticky feel,
    i have small fingers anyway, and i can type on the Centro.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by HChristianS View Post
    i have the SAME fear.
    mostly about the plasticky feel,
    i have small fingers anyway, and i can type on the Centro.
    Me 2. My fingers are not large...I can type on a blackberry quite well. I tried the Centro at the Sprint store and there was a noticeable difference between that and the blackberry keyboard.
    Well, there's always the fear of it not living up to the hype. It might be laggy, the multitasking will slow it down too much, the browser might really not be 4x faster than Safari on the iPhone, there won't be enough developers jumping on the webOS band wagon, all kinds of stuff! I am a bit concerned about the keyboard though. While it seems like there is definitely more space between the keys when comparing the Pres keyboard with the Pro's keyboard....after having a chance to play with a dummy Pro, I was not happy with the feel of the keyboard at all. The keys felt like an accumulation of tiny gummy bears! I sure hope the Pres keyboard will feel better than that!
    My 680 is on its death bed so I recently tried switching back to one of my old 650s and it was surprisingly more difficult to use the keyboard than I remember... I guess I have gotten used to a larger keyboard. Hopefully dropping down to what appears to be a smaller size won't be too painful.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

The guy on everythingpre was coming from 2 pure touchscreen devices, I'd take his complains about lack of onscreen KB and physical KB issues with a grain of salt. I dunno what to say on plasticy feel. If it's as sturdy as my Treo I'm happy. That thing has survived countless falls. It's like the Cadillac of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I am a bit concerned about the keyboard though. While it seems like there is definitely more space between the keys when comparing the Pres keyboard with the Pro's keyboard....after having a chance to play with a dummy Pro, I was not happy with the feel of the keyboard at all. The keys felt like an accumulation of tiny gummy bears! I sure hope the Pres keyboard will feel better than that!
    I too have been down on the Treo Pro's keyboard. I played with a dummy TP at BestBuy, and could not have been more disappointed. I couldn't believe anyone could type on it, it just felt so bad. But then a few weeks later, I went into a Sprint store and played with a real TP. I must say, the keyboard did not feel bad at all. It was way different than the dummy. The dummy may be a little too dumb. This is a big mistake on Palm's part--if I were them, I'd make sure the dummy buttons feel right. Perhaps it's HTC's fault.

Moral of the story: if you're disgusted with the Centro or Treo Pro keyboard after playing with a dummy, go to a Sprint store and try out the real thing. I have much higher hopes for the Pre keyboard after playing with a real Treo Pro.

But, the Pre will let us down in some ways. It is inevitable. This is a device designed by humans and mass produced in a factory. For a profit. There will be bugs, design decisions you don't like, things that could work better, etc. This will always happen when dreams meet reality. It simply is the way the world works. I guarantee, the first day people have the Pre in their hands, there will be some ***** in here with a thread about how the Pre is a piece of crap and he's taking it back tomorrow. Expect it to be a little better than what you're using now, and you'll probably be pleased. But it won't make you happy if you aren't, it won't turn you into an organized person if you're a slob, and it certainly won't improve your marriage (may actually have the opposite effect, unless your wife is hoping you'll disappear into a corner with your new toy for a couple of weeks).

In short, we have nothing to fear but fear itself.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    My fears:

Keyboard - has a lot of potential to be both awesome and terrible. Never used a Palm device before so I have no idea if I'll like the small keyboard. As much as I hate my Mogul, its spacious keyboard certainly is nice.

Camera - have not seen a lot on it, all I keep hearing is "3.0 megapixels with expanded depth of field." No autofocus and a lack of lighting settings in the camera app make me concerned. It won't be a deal breaker if it's bad, but I do hope it's an upgrade from my current phone's camera.

Day 1 apps / app store - I really hope the app store is up and running from day 1 with downloads for 3rd party apps like Pandora. The complete lack of information about the app store policies / pricing rates and the extremely slow roll out of the SDK to developers worry me that the app store won't be ready when the Pre launches.

What I'm NOT afraid of

Hardware / software defects - I'm sure both will be addressed by Palm.

Apps after a couple of months - all that I've heard about the SDK is pure praise, and it sounds very easy to program for (I'll definitely be taking a look). Hopefully it will be easy to port apps from the iPhone / Android platforms.

Price - Sprint / Palm want to be very competitive and iSupply cites the cost as reasonable, so I doubt it'll go for more than $199.
    I agree with a lot of the points made but I could care less about the KB since I have a centro and it don't get any more cramped than that, the build quality is fine since I will probably have it in a case all the time to protect it. As far as camera and other software, in future updates, anything can be added...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    You know, I currently have the Samsung Instinct. And while I like it, I'm not at all scared of the Pre disappointing me.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    You know, I currently have the Samsung Instinct. And while I like it, I'm not at all scared of the Pre disappointing me.
    If it did....Palm would have a MAJOR problem on its hands!
    Pretty much where I'm at exactly right down to the current handset.
    I'll double that, regarding my Touch Pro.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    man, you are so silly. Just go into it with an open mind, evaluate exactly what you need/want a phone to do and pursue the best available option for you. Worrying about cool and hype and others impressions will lead to great unhappiness and separate you from a lot of your money.
    My fear is spiders.

What were we talking about again?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneAfter909 View Post
    My fear is spiders.

What were we talking about again?
    I was going to say, "open spaces," but you beat me to it...
    My fear is that I have a big ****.

I don't think I'll be "**** dialing" like the whipped guy on the BlackBerry Flip commerical, more like **** crushing (besides, the slider should resolve the "**** dialing" problem).

I talked to my therapist about my fear, and he said I could start dieting now, and I'd likely have 30-60 days to lose some weight, or I could just look at Sprint's insurance program.

I told him if I cared enough about appearances to lose the weight, I'd be buying an iPhone instead, so I'd probably just rely on the insurance.

And a holster for the phone.
    Last edited by hparsons; 05/06/2009 at 02:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    My fear is that I have a big ****.

I don't think I'll be "**** dialing" like the whipped guy on the BlackBerry Flip commerical, more like **** crushing (besides, the slider should resolve the "**** dialing" problem).

I talked to my therapist about my fear, and he said I could start dieting now, and I'd likely have 30-60 days to lose some weight, or I could just look at Sprint's insurance program.

I told him if I was cared enough about appearances to lose the weight, I'd be buying an iPhone instead, so I'd probably just rely on the insurance.

And a holster for the phone.
    hparsons got a big ol' ****, oh yeah!
    Going in with unrealistic expectations is foolish, your own fault and easily prevented. There are plenty of youtube videos, plenty of documentation on what this thing can do, what it feels like and how it is built. No reason to get over hyped when we already know just about everything about it, have known for awhile and while there may be a small surprise come release we pretty much have it all covered.

That really is the problem, no new information and that is why people act like spoiled little brats about every little thing we don't know (price and launch date). There just isn't anything else really and people this day in age are not used to waiting. They are used to having it their way right away. Unfortunately they think they are entitled to know, NOW, entitled to keep theri $30 plan that includes everything, entitled to a happy ending every month because they paid their bill on time or whatever.

We aren't.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast