Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Fear... I need counseling.

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    hparsons got a big ol' ****, oh yeah!
    Yeah, but did you see that BB Flip commercial???? I can diet, but that guy will always be whipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yeah, but did you see that BB Flip commercial???? I can diet, but that guy will always be whipped.
    Just like cream, man! Or butter. Whipped butter.

(God, get me the Pre, I'm losing it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    and that is why people act like spoiled little brats about every little thing we don't know (price and launch date). There just isn't anything else really and people this day in age are not used to waiting. They are used to having it their way right away. Unfortunately they think they are entitled to know, NOW, entitled to keep theri $30 plan that includes everything, entitled to a happy ending every month because they paid their bill on time or whatever.

We aren't.
    Dang. I wish I could hit like a half dozen "thanks" on this one! I think your post should be stickied to the top of everyone one of the "I wants my SERO" and "but someone said it should be out now" whiney threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    entitled to a happy ending every month because they paid their bill on time or whatever.

We aren't.
    Now, I think that's taking things a bit too far. I most certainly _am_ entitled to a happy ending, at least once a month!

And that's all I have to say about that.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    You need to have more faith brother.
    My fear is that all the reviews will conclude like this:

"In summary, is the Pre an iPhone killer? No, but for those looking for alternative to the iPhone, it's not a bad option."

If I was a Joe Schmoe (i.e., not a forum reader) who read a review like that, I would buy the iPhone. Why buy 2nd place when you can have first place for about the same price?

I liken this to the Zune. The reviews essentially say "nice alternative to the ipod" and the marketshare is something like 5%. A review needs to say "move over, iPhone. There's a new king at the top of the smartphone heap" or some other strong language. It needs to be a convincing win or else people are going to stick with the status quo.
    "In summary, is the Pre an iPhone killer? No, but for those looking for alternative to the iPhone, it's not a bad option."

I would sign up for that now. Remember they dont need to knock off iPhone to be successful. Also, like I said many times, the Pre is not an iPhone killer, its the anti-iPhone.

Has a real keyboard, touch screen, small form factor with replaceable battery.
    Atychiphobia or Atelophobia.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post

I would sign up for that now. Remember they dont need to knock off iPhone to be successful. Also, like I said many times, the Pre is not an iPhone killer, its the anti-iPhone.

Has a real keyboard, touch screen, small form factor with replaceable battery.
    I hear you, and I think that there is a subset of consumers that will critically evaluate these "must-haves" that the Pre has over the iPhone and choose the Pre. However, I submit that this is a small minority of the "fat middle".

For example, I'm not a car freak, but when I buy a car next year, I will do some cursory research. My thinking is that "I hear Hondas are reliable, and lots of my friends have Honda accords." Then I'll go to consumer reports or edmunds.com or wherever and read the 3-4 page reviews that they have. I'll make sure that I have an ipod connection and some crash safety ratings and check the horsepower and gas efficiency. But beyond that, I'm actually comfortable enough to buy a car that's $25,000. If I see 5 reviews and they all say "Honda gets the nod for the best value, best overall car" five times over, I'll remember that.

What I won't do is go into how the fuel injection system is designed, whether the engine has some sort of torque/compression flaw that some people think shortens the maximum performance of the car. I won't visit car enthusiast forums and try to figure out if the factory tires are a poor match and cost you 1 mile per gallon. I also won't figure out how much an oil change is going to cost over the life of the car vs a Camry, for example. So for the buyer who does cursory research, I think that the iPhone will still be the choice of that large swath of customers b/c cursory research will reveal "iphone, still #1."

I realize that there are people who will research all these minute details b/c they care about cars like we care about phones. But again for that fat middle, most people will care about: looks, a large, nice screen, what's hot right now, thinness, a slick UI, and battery life. I would have added in keyboard, but the runaway success of the iphone speaks against that.

That's why I think that on face value the advantages of the WebOS, the multitasking, the synergy stuff, and the other advantages aren't apparent to the masses. Will the masses see this as the anti-iphone or the evolved iphone? Like most things, how well it sells will be solely reflective of the marketing department. If I were Palm, I'd double the amount of Pre ads compared to the iphone. The Pre must be burned into the subconscious of the public. The iphone is approaching ipod/walkman status, where a specific brand can substitute for the product category as a whole. I'd focus on why the things that the Pre does that the iphone does not, I need. Honestly, even as a power user it is not apparent to me how multitasking is needed on a phone. It is not apparent to me why the WebOS as a user will be more advantageous to me b/c I'm not a developer.
    Last edited by pufftissue; 05/06/2009 at 04:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Well, there's always the fear of it not living up to the hype. It might be laggy, the multitasking will slow it down too much, the browser might really not be 4x faster than Safari on the iPhone, there won't be enough developers jumping on the webOS band wagon, all kinds of stuff! I am a bit concerned about the keyboard though. While it seems like there is definitely more space between the keys when comparing the Pres keyboard with the Pro's keyboard....after having a chance to play with a dummy Pro, I was not happy with the feel of the keyboard at all. The keys felt like an accumulation of tiny gummy bears! I sure hope the Pres keyboard will feel better than that!
    Yeah.. I mean it was a royal letdown when I had the Instinct after a little while.. I just felt so mis-lead.

Honestly, I think this device will be fine, I really do. I mean, I own a curve and make some mistakes but I type really fast on it with no problem. The thing I think will be a problem is that the keys don't have much of play or feedback when they are pressed. Like it feels stiff when you press down. I'm not referring to squishy keys, but just the feedback you get from pressing a key down onto the mobo.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Drop/Scratchability - The Pre doesn't strike me as being very case & screen-friendly. It's thick and has a big sliding part. If the screen is as convex as it looks then getting a screen protector to look good may be difficult.
    Best Skins Ever, Inc. Home Page
    "Because they were designed for the government to protect helicopter blades!!!"

Far as the other concerns I think UntidyGuy's statement about waiting is pretty much the cure to anything that could be wrong with the Pre when it first comes out. I'm under no illusion that it's gonna be great right out of the box. My biggest fear is it wont be able to do all the things I can do with my Treo 700p. I need a VNC client, I need Converter, BART and CalTrain apps but it wont have any of these when it first launches. Some of these apps I will be able to use a web version which wont be as nice but eventually apps and accessories will come flowing out. So I'm not worried and I will be patient.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12