View Poll Results: June 7 PRE Launch: Brilliant Move or Suicide Mission?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brilliant Move

    8 7.48%
  • Suicide Mission

    55 51.40%
  • Doesn't Matter

    44 41.12%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1.    #1  
    one day before iphone 3.0?

    please vote.
  2. #2  
    I voted suicide mission, but I think that's a bit extreme. I'd say it's a clear blunder, but not a death blow.
  3.    #3  
    not all suicide missions are fatal. they are just very, very risky and many times do indeed end up being fatal.
  4. joelpalm
    joelpalm's Avatar
    #4  
    I say that Apple already has a product that the media clamors for and as soon as WWDC drops, the Pre will be heavily overshadowed because of the iPhones already immense popularity. Sprint needs to either do it a good bit before or once the hype dies down.
  5. #5  
    umm did palm or sprint give us a june 7th date?
  6. #6  
    I say doesn't matter, not ideal but not fatal. iPhone 3.0 doesn't seem to have much new and seems unlikely to bring a massive wow like the original one did. The lack of Steve Jobs for the WWDC talk could also be a problem for Apple in keeping the hype up. Pre is the new upstart and any article about the iPhone would have to include reference to the Pre and if my prior points are accurate, the comparison could be favorable.
  7. joelpalm
    joelpalm's Avatar
    #7  
    No
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    umm did palm or sprint give us a june 7th date?
    No. Just the latest speculation.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by joelpalm View Post
    I say that Apple already has a product that the media clamors for and as soon as WWDC drops, the Pre will be heavily overshadowed because of the iPhones already immense popularity. Sprint needs to either do it a good bit before or once the hype dies down.
    x2. Most people with a decent amount of common sense understand this, and I know the new employees hired to Palm understand this.. I HIGHLY doubt Palm will be releasing the Pre within a week or two of the IPhone, unless absolutely unavoidable. They need to either release it before, or wait a month or two until the "newness" wears off of the Iphone (Now with Copy&Paste! Just don't look for any MS Word support!).
  10. #10  
    They are past the point where they can avoid WWDC (and keep in mind, the mainstreamers don't even know about it..). Launch June 30th? Hard to start the pre-launch which takes place 2-3 weeks prior. Plus June 30th is considered late late.

    Launch Memorial Day or even June 1st? Don't think they have time now but they still run into WWDC within days.

    At this point, may as well meet Apple head on. Release day is the PEAK..not the start of the launch campaign. Everything builds toward that day. So the next day Apple has their idiotic press conference? The burden is on them to announce something worthwhile. And the Pre will be mentioned often in comparison because Pre fever will be at its high.

    I don't see people thinking Apple should be scared of Microsoft even though Microsoft OWNS them in the PC market. Apple takes it to them in commercials and its the right thing to do. In this case, Palm isn't even being that direct..but it shows guts and confidence to indirectly go at Apple. And at least they have a product to back it up with. I commend em because i'd go on offense as well. Will it work? Time will tell. But should be interesting.

    And don't forget, Sprint will spend much more promoting this phone than ever before. No matter what, Palm will be selling a lot of Pre's.
  11. #11  
    The earlier ther better but June 7th is just stupid. Sprint has shot themselves in their feet 10 times already.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  12. rbcmd's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    #12  
    If the phone is released with the specs that are already out there in the media, it's time in the limelight will be limited and therefore damaging to its success. However, if there is something that they have kept quiet, something that will trump Iphone 3.0 and not give Apple the chance to compensate, they will look like geniuses...
    Last edited by rbcmd; 05/05/2009 at 10:14 PM.
  13. #13  
    Unless Apple has something they've kept quite that will retrump the Pre. I hope they both have a great "one more thing" to excite consumers. Bring on the battle, the consumer only wins.
  14. #14  
    I think(hope) Palm has something they're hiding, thus the secrecy of all this. I hope something that has Apple looking at the specs the day before going "Oh, s**t...".

    Maybe something so big it overshadows the iPhone. People would be saying "Forget the iPhone, did you see what the Pre can do?".

    Of course I'm just being wishful.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    They are past the point where they can avoid WWDC (and keep in mind, the mainstreamers don't even know about it..). Launch June 30th? Hard to start the pre-launch which takes place 2-3 weeks prior. Plus June 30th is considered late late.

    Launch Memorial Day or even June 1st? Don't think they have time now but they still run into WWDC within days.
    I agree, but this isn't just an updated 3.0 firmware. It's common believed that a new iphone 3gen is going to be announced at WWDC or sometime after it. Because we all know, apple isn't going to sit still!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyazn23 View Post
    I agree, but this isn't just an updated 3.0 firmware. It's common believed that a new iphone 3gen is going to be announced at WWDC or sometime after it. Because we all know, apple isn't going to sit still!
    Yes but what new hardware feature is it going to add? More memory has some appeal. New colors? Potentially. The point being, there is very little they could do with the hardware that could generate buzz or covert the unconverted without changing the entire nature of the device. The software they will be hard pressed to modify significantly and the UI most assuredly will not be different.
    They won't sit still the question is how far forward are they going.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    I think(hope) Palm has something they're hiding, thus the secrecy of all this. I hope something that has Apple looking at the specs the day before going "Oh, s**t...".

    Maybe something so big it overshadows the iPhone. People would be saying "Forget the iPhone, did you see what the Pre can do?".

    Of course I'm just being wishful.
    That beter be it because it's their only hope to avoid being buried by Apple press. The best they can hope for is equal press if they release on 6/07.

    People have speculated 4G but other say no way. So I wonder what it is. 4G would beat just about all phones in the US so that'd be great!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Yes but what new hardware feature is it going to add? More memory has some appeal. New colors? Potentially. The point being, there is very little they could do with the hardware that could generate buzz or covert the unconverted without changing the entire nature of the device. The software they will be hard pressed to modify significantly and the UI most assuredly will not be different.
    They won't sit still the question is how far forward are they going.
    I'm looking for the storage bump and the HD(or pseudo-HD) screen rumor. The better camera with video recording rumor, if true, just brings it in line with other phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #19  
    I am still holding out for the theory that we haven't seen the big surprise, and it is so awesome that the press will mention the Pre in all of the Apple press. If Palm can even siphon off a portion of the Iphone market they will have a huge hit.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm looking for the storage bump and the HD(or pseudo-HD) screen rumor. The better camera with video recording rumor, if true, just brings it in line with other phones.
    Right but unlike the speed boost of 3G, does it really change the device significantly. There is only so far you can push marginal improvements of the same device when others are innovating around you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions