View Poll Results: June 7 PRE Launch: Brilliant Move or Suicide Mission?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brilliant Move

8 7.48%
  • Suicide Mission

55 51.40%
  • Doesn't Matter

44 41.12%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    For me it becomes an excellent PDA/PMP. How it functions as a phone may be another story though, LOL! After all the complaints about the 3G, I hope they learned something, phone quality matters first in the end.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I am actually starting to think this might work in Palm's favor. Let's assume that the next iPhone hardware brings 16 and 32 GB flavors, 3MP camera with video, a 720x1280 screen, and an elegant way to deal with the thousands of apps that are hard coded for 320x480. And then you have the iPhone 3.0 software upgrade and you know there will be some pretty good demos of that messaging system for notifications.

Okay, well, in the comments about the Pre thus far, it seems pretty well agreed that WebOS bests the iPhone in terms of UI design. The Pre will still have that advantage over iPhone 3.0. You can also bet that the Pre will launch with some applications that we haven't heard about yet, and which also nicely show off what can be done with the Mojo SDK in a short amount of time. iPhone will still be using the same development model. The Pre will still have Synergy, and again you can bet that it will be demonstrated in ways we haven't seen before, and you'll have tech reviews of it being used in daily life by tech journalists. The iPhone still won't have anything like Synergy (though there may be a surface band-aid or two).

So I think it's possible that whatever is shown at WWDC in terms of iPhone (there is also this little matter of the next version of OSX which is certain to occupy some portion of the attention, ahem) may actually serve to highlight the real innovations of the Pre. There won't be any tech journalists who write an article about the iPhone without mentioning the Pre. And it's quite likely the comparison will be favorable. In a way, Palm will be like a publicity parasite, being carried along for the ride by the Apple media machine.

Certainly there will be some Apple fans who will write disparaging things about the Pre with respect to the iPhone as a result, but I think people will be surprised to see journalists they thought were totally in the pocket of Apple write reviews that compare the Pre favorably to the iPhone.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I think in the long run it doesnt matter. Sprint is not going to stop advertising the Pre when the new iPhone comes out. The Pre will need to get good reviews and be a solid device and hopefully the developers will come. Also I believe there's a large group of users that want a real keyboard on the device and like the idea of a replaceable battery (even if they never get another one).

Pre is not an iPhone killer, its the anti-iPhone!
    Why do people relaly think just the annoucment of a slight hardware revision is going to make bring the Palm Pre down to its knees is silly.

Most of the people who will buy a Palm Pre probably already have Sprint and have no intention of jumping ship for an iPhone if they haven't already.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Certainly there will be some Apple fans who will write disparaging things about the Pre with respect to the iPhone as a result, but I think people will be surprised to see journalists they thought were totally in the pocket of Apple write reviews that compare the Pre favorably to the iPhone.
    And here's an example: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1595652
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Ultimately, Palm needs to release the Pre before or shortly after the new iPhone comes out to target the iPhone III customers or prevent impatient defectors.

If Palm can't get the Pre out sooner, then June 7 is as good a date of any. The logic being that people "in the know" will wait till both are available, review, and choose. People not "in the know" will hear about "two great smart phones poised to go head to head" on July 7th. That way Palm gets some free publicity from Apple.

Also, if Palm targets a release date close to Apple, they must feel pretty confident of their product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agibbs996 View Post
    Ultimately, Sprint needs to release the Pre before or shortly after the new iPhone comes out to target the iPhone III customers or prevent impatient defectors.

If Sprint can't get the Pre out sooner, then June 7 is as good a date of any. The logic being that people "in the know" will wait till both are available, review, and choose. People not "in the know" will hear about "two great smart phones poised to go head to head" on July 7th. That way Palm and Sprint gets some free publicity from Apple.

Also, if Sprint targets a release date close to Apple, they must feel pretty confident of their product.
    Fixed for accuracy.

Seriously. It amazes me how many people still think palm is launching the Pre or even has a say in when it launches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Fixed for accuracy.

Seriously. It amazes me how many people still think palm is launching the Pre or even has a say in when it launches.
    Palm has a big say in it, not the actual date per se, but they need to be confident in the product before releasing Sprint to conduct sales. So Palm will say ready, and then Sprint will go. I would also not be shocked if the date was ultimately a collaboration of the two companies each with so much on the line.
    Palm suicide!

This might be the one decision that will fulfill Palm's fate at the bottom of Davey Jones' locker!
    So the new 3.0 firmware may come out, same hardware.
    New iPhone Hardware may be announced on the 8th, but it's doubtful it'll be released on that day.

We have to remember the pre may actually be RELEASED on the 7th, most likely the iPhone may be ANNOUNCED on the 8th.

Naw..any iphone hardware wouldn't be released til end of june or even July
    Exactly, if even that soon.
  13.    #33  
    “You know the beautiful thing: June 29, 2009, is the two-year anniversary of the first shipment of the iPhone. Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later. Think about it–If you bought the first iPhone, you bought it because you wanted the coolest product on the market. Your two-year contract has just expired. Look around. Tell me what they’re going to buy.”

– Elevation Partners founder Roger McNamee
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Think about it–If you bought the first iPhone, you bought it because you wanted the coolest product on the market. Your two-year contract has just expired. Look around. Tell me what they’re going to buy.
    Wow, this is exactly me.
    Bought the first iPhone, contract is up next month and (depending on how the release goes) I'm most likely gonna' pick up the Pre.

He was right on in my case anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Palm has a big say in it, not the actual date per se, but they need to be confident in the product before releasing Sprint to conduct sales. So Palm will say ready, and then Sprint will go. I would also not be shocked if the date was ultimately a collaboration of the two companies each with so much on the line.
    At this point it isn't about Palm at all. So that is a "big" exaggeration. Sprint determines and announces launch dates. This has to do with Sprint testing and Sprint marketing and Sprint Advertizing issues and Sprints level of comfort with available and scheduled inventory. It is almost totally out of Palms hands
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    “You know the beautiful thing: June 29, 2009, is the two-year anniversary of the first shipment of the iPhone. Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later. Think about it–If you bought the first iPhone, you bought it because you wanted the coolest product on the market. Your two-year contract has just expired. Look around. Tell me what they’re going to buy.”
    – Elevation Partners founder Roger McNamee
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    Wow, this is exactly me.
    Bought the first iPhone, contract is up next month and (depending on how the release goes) I'm most likely gonna' pick up the Pre.
    He was right on in my case anyway.
    You realize why this was utterly and completely mocked by people who understand the mobile business and iphone history? right? this particular bizarre comment made McNamee a laughing stock for good reason.
    ATT doesn't have the same ETF contract structure, and most of the iphones were sold wiht NO contract renewals as there was ZERO benefit to renewing your ATT contract at the time.
    I don't think people should have discounted what he said so easily. He has a point. If only Sprint would market to iPhone users, namely that their plans are cheaper and their 3G network is more stable and faster. They've started this a bit, but don't really drive it home hard enough. They need to show the Pre plans vs. the iPhone plans and let people see for themselves the difference. But of course they're sitting on all kinds of info they refuse to release, so...
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If you got an Iphone at the 199 price you got a contact extension. I know because I got one.

If you upgraded to the 3g version last year, guess what? Another extension.

Many people did that upgrade so MOST Iphone users still have plenty of contract time remaining which is why the Pre really isn't targeted at the average Iphone user.

Sure some like me will switch back, but I will be the exception as the average consumer is not going to pay a $175 ETF and another $199 for a phone that does slightly more.
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    Exactly, if even that soon.
    Around July was true for both of the other phones. There was a rumor about September this time though.

The bad thing is people WILL wait for Apple so if they do announce a 32GB or something like that, this could possibly take away from Sprint sales to new customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    If you got an Iphone at the 199 price you got a contact extension. I know because I got one.

If you upgraded to the 3g version last year, guess what? Another extension.

Many people did that upgrade so MOST Iphone users still have plenty of contract time remaining which is why the Pre really isn't targeted at the average Iphone user.

Sure some like me will switch back, but I will be the exception as the average consumer is not going to pay a $175 ETF and another $199 for a phone that does slightly more.
    I'm still on the old iPhone contract and bought an aftermarket 3G, so as far as I know they never extended my contract(my bill never shows increases for the data charges and text plans for the 3G). Though if I find out they did without mentioning something first, I'll be mighty pissed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast