Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    This is assuming the files on the Pre are written by DTG in a standard format Office 2007 understands, and no conduit/conversions, no?
    I could be wrong, but I believe DtG does not convert a file that is placed on the device. The program operates on the Office file without conversion. In fact, this was one of the selling points of DtG originally--because there is no conversion, nothing is lost in translation. There were some Office formatting things you couldn't do on your Palm, but the program didn't screw those things up either. Even very complex Office documents would still work this way.

There was a conduit for Palm OS, but that was just to synchronize changes between a copy of the file on your device and another copy on your pc (which is very handy if you ask me).

I haven't really used DtG much lately, but I'm hoping that it is available on the Pre not too far from launch.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I don't see a huge value in Office 2007/DTG on the Pre when there's no desktop sync, (except for the very determined).

What would you do with a Word/Excel/PP document, copy it to the cloud, and then copy from the cloud to a Windows desktop?

In the existing DTG, the conduit does a conversion on the Word/Excel/PP files when they copy in either direction.
    I can't imagine why I would need to put my documents on my phone except for temporary storage. The use I was imagining was for opening attachments that get emailed to me though. I work in IT and for some uncompromisable reason, people in my company do not seem to understand that you can attach a screenshot into an email as an image directly. Instead they insist on inserting their screenshots into word documents. Being able to open these on my phone will be very helpful.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    I work in IT and for some uncompromisable reason, people in my company do not seem to understand that you can attach a screenshot into an email as an image directly. Instead they insist on inserting their screenshots into word documents.
    As their IT guy, just teach them how to do it. Problem solved!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe DtG does not convert a file that is placed on the device. The program operates on the Office file without conversion. In fact, this was one of the selling points of DtG originally--because there is no conversion, nothing is lost in translation. There were some Office formatting things you couldn't do on your Palm, but the program didn't screw those things up either. Even very complex Office documents would still work this way.

There was a conduit for Palm OS, but that was just to synchronize changes between a copy of the file on your device and another copy on your pc (which is very handy if you ask me).

I haven't really used DtG much lately, but I'm hoping that it is available on the Pre not too far from launch.
    With the Palm OS, if you stored the file on an SD card, you could use a straight up .doc. But if you wanted it stored on the device, DtG would convert it into a smaller Palm-complaint format that, in my experience, was faster to open and manipulate anyway. When you went to sync, it would check to see who was older - the Palm or desktop version - and then overwrite with the new one (so you better hope that you didn't edit it on both devices before HotSyncing).
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I can't imagine why I would need to put my documents on my phone except for temporary storage. The use I was imagining was for opening attachments that get emailed to me though. I work in IT and for some uncompromisable reason, people in my company do not seem to understand that you can attach a screenshot into an email as an image directly. Instead they insist on inserting their screenshots into word documents. Being able to open these on my phone will be very helpful.
    Agreed on the attachments. I get 5-20 emails with attachments every day. These are mostly forms in Word that I need to be able to read & respond to so having a viewer is paramount to my daily productivity. I don't really edit on the Treo, though.

As to emailing screen caps v. embedding them in Word docs, I have to disagree. Take a look at the relative message sizes. If I email a screen cap (or Window cap using Alt-PrtScn) it's easily 2-4MB; the same image pasted into Word drops the size down to maybe a couple hundred KB. Well worth the effort in terms of space saved in the email data store & bandwidth saved.

Another use for documents on the device is keeping manuals and references at hand when there's no laptop or guaranteed connectivity. Or keeping docs that you frequently email to people handy so you can attach them directly. Granted, emailing a link to a doc is better but that's not always possible.
    - Fushigi
    Quote Originally Posted by fushigi View Post
    As to emailing screen caps v. embedding them in Word docs, I have to disagree. Take a look at the relative message sizes. If I email a screen cap (or Window cap using Alt-PrtScn) it's easily 2-4MB; the same image pasted into Word drops the size down to maybe a couple hundred KB. Well worth the effort in terms of space saved in the email data store & bandwidth saved.
    If embedding into a word document is saving you space then you're probably saving your screenshot as a BMP which is totally uncompressed. Images with text like screenshots are best saved as PNG which compresses even better than putting a BMP into a word document. But whatever you do, never save a screenshot as a JPG, JPG compression can make text unreadable.
    DataViz is exceptional at maintaining their NDAs.

My $ is on yes but we will not know the features until the NDA is lifted.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    Your avatar is just way too creepy.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I carry around a lot of small to medium chunks of text, mostly in my Treo's memo app. But if I need some structure in the document, I use a Word document - for example, a big table of acronyms and their expansions.

I also carry around a lot of small spreadsheet tools in Excel. Very useful,even though DtG only supports a subset of Excel's functions.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    If embedding into a word document is saving you space then you're probably saving your screenshot as a BMP which is totally uncompressed. Images with text like screenshots are best saved as PNG which compresses even better than putting a BMP into a word document. But whatever you do, never save a screenshot as a JPG, JPG compression can make text unreadable.
    This is drifting off topic, but I'm talking about simply pasting a screen cap into an email message v. pasting it into a Word doc & attaching the Word doc. No image format options are available with a screen cap; just what Windows uses when doing Print Screen or Alt-Print Screen. Which like you said is BMP. Word automatically compresses the BMP when the file is saved.
    - Fushigi
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12