Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    A reasonable and respectable answer, but doesn't it get to a point where keeping things a secret just becomes counter productive and silly? If they wanted to keep things so secretive so nobody would be able to copy them, they've already said way too much. If they didn't start the game in January and then wait to 5-6 months to play the next hand it wouldn't be nearly as frustrating for the interested consumer.
    CES was there, they didn't get to schedule it, and it seemed like as good a place as any to announce they were working on something. They needed to show something spectacular and show enough of it to generate interest and capital. It worked, they have managed to stay solvent and generate investor interest, as noted by the 10x increase in stock value from December.
    They have that done, now is the time to shut down and finalize a solid product. It also is an opportunity to go above and beyond what they have already showed.
    Is it ideal for us? No. Does it have definite benefits from them and the final product? Yes. Is a better product and more surprises good for us? I think we all know the answer to this.
    A reasonable and respectable answer, but doesn't it get to a point where keeping things a secret just becomes counter productive and silly? If they wanted to keep things so secretive so nobody would be able to copy them, they've already said way too much. If they didn't start the game in January and then wait to 5-6 months to play the next hand it wouldn't be nearly as frustrating for the interested consumer.
    They can't win. If they keep details to themselves, they frustrate people. If they unleash detail after detail, people complain that they're giving too much away and their competitors can catch up before, during, or shortly after launch.
    that pic is from the vegas demo.
    Yes I meant shouldn't have blabbed.

This is unusually secretive. Still no word on price? No firm release date? Am I going to have to sign an NDA and submit to a background check before I can buy one? You'd think they'd want a leak here and there to keep interest up and to feed the information starved mouths of the tech population that is so hungry for the Pre. Please just tell us how much it will cost.

Maybe you will have to know the secret handshake and go in the back door to buy it.

Why be secretive? What is there to hide? Why not show your cards and build hype.

The result of the the secretive nature is nobody who isn't a tech person, phone guru has heard of it.

Nothing new for some of us. There are a few pro 2A firearm owners left in American
    If they were going to leak information and knew they were going to be fired, they should have released the Release date, price, battery specs, office support, plan details, sero information, out of contract price, and on and on.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    NDA or not, i don't like these heavy-handed gestapo-like tactics!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Gestapo-like? really? Well Godwin's Law holds for the Pre forum now.
    Look, they were employees bound by an NDA, the NDA likely laid out the penalties for violation, and if the employees took the risk and broke the agreement, then Sprint was well within their rights to fire the employees with cause.
    yes and the only other law besides Godwin's is the law that there is someone on every forum just waiting to point out Godwin's law.
    Anyone that would call what Sprint did "getapo-like" lacks the most rudimentary understanding of what the gestapo was like.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Anyone that would call what Sprint did "getapo-like" lacks the most rudimentary understanding of what the gestapo was like.
    it was a joke, silly. sorry, are you a "survivor"?

Gotta love how we're all begging for people to break their NDA and give us more information, but at the same time nobody feels bad for people who got fired for it.

Seriously though, I can see why they were fired, though at the same time, it does suck that they got fired especially in this economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Gotta love how we're all begging for people to break their NDA and give us more information, but at the same time nobody feels bad for people who got fired for it.

Seriously though, I can see why they were fired, though at the same time, it does suck that they got fired especially in this economy.
    I feel bad that our insatiable desire for Pre info has cost people their jobs, but only a little bad. After all, we never forced anybody to break their contracts.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    The whole situation is unfortunate. It's unfortunate Sprint had to fire them, but they DID violate their contract.

It's also unfortunate that Sprint's excessive secrecy has led to this. If they had given away the source code for the OS, then I say yes, fire them and sue them.

If they released some trivial detail, that Sprint should have already told us by now, well that is just unfortunate all around.
    the Gestapo was very secretive and ruthless too!
    Yea, they should have blabbed under the NDA. But doesn't the fact that Palm/Sprint are being so secretive about this phone bother anyone else? It's a little over the line.
    Actually, doesn't bother me a bit. I mean, it drives me crazy, but it doesn't _bother_ me. All it means is that Sprint/Palm know they have a winner, have a very specific message they're wanting to get across, and a plan to do so. In fact, I'm really pretty impressed at how much secrecy they've been able to maintain--at least as good as Apple's, I think.

Although I'm terribly anxious for the Pre, I'm actually changing my tune a bit. I've said that releasing close to Apple's WWDC is a bad idea, but as we get closer I'm thinking that it's a great idea. I'm looking forward to some pretty cool stuff being revealed at the release. And the more secretive Palm/Sprint can be, the more effective the launch.
    the Gestapo was very secretive and ruthless too!
    Palm + Sprint = 4th Reich!!!'

Hiding phone info should be illegal, everything should be public.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I personally don't feel bad for those employees that got fired for blabbing about.

What I do feel sorry about is the fact that this phone has been so hush hush between Sprint and Palm and the lack of news and/or things this phone has the potential to do.

While they do have the right to keep it a secret I think it was a very stupid move on their part to keep the one product that can save both companies from going under.

They should've kept the hype going after announcing it at CES. It would have at least satisified those foaming at the mouth waiting for this phone and helped spread the word at the same time...
    it was a joke, silly. sorry, are you a "survivor"?

Oh, I get it, a JOKE. As in the gestapo was funny because ...

Nah, I didn't get it.
    What I think: the secret better be something good for them to get fired over, because so far I ain't seen nothing worth firing anyone over(although that was likely the point, lol)!

While I agree they shouldn't have broken their agreements, I think it's ridiculous for Sprint to be so heavy handed unless it's something really earth shaking.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    What I think: the secret better be something good for them to get fired over, because so far I ain't seen nothing worth firing anyone over(although that was likely the point, lol)!

While I agree they shouldn't have broken their agreements, I think it's ridiculous for Sprint to be so heavy handed unless it's something really earth shaking.
    Maybe the secret is that it can make breakfast sandwiches for you when you first get up in the morning
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast