Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    So you are looking forward to typing in your exchange password each time you connect? Otherwise the PDA itself will have saved credentials to access the server and thus must be secure so that only the owner can use the device. ActiveSync allows administrators to enforce that devices connecting to their exchange servers have these security settings turned on, it is important to them to be sure that the phone respects the security settings on the servers.
    Exactly. An administrator can rest (somewhat) securely over a lost latop, knowing that is password protected (and if necessary, the files are encrypted). However, they can't do that with a smartphone. Few people are going to put up with having to "log into" their phone.

Systems such as BES allows things like requiring a password be used once a day, that systems "check in" regularly, and can also allow systems to be wiped clean remotely.

BES is well known for this. Active Sync is known, but less so. There are also solutions that allow all of this for Palm smartphones as well. I have no doubt we'll see similar systsm for the Pre.

The popularity level of the devices (and the support systems) will dictate whether or not IT departments like the one described want to bother with support.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I had anohter thought in this regard, though it's just that, a thought. I have no real info to back it up:

The very first app Palm demo'd on the Classic emulator was Epocrates, a program that is perhaps the premier medical database for Palm OS devices. That could point to the idea that Palm is particularly interested in catering to the medical community and would therefore be thinking/planning for the types of security concerns raised by the OP. Or maybe not.

If I had to guess, I'd put my money on the Pre being able to satisfy the security requirements AT SOME POINT, though maybe not on launch day.

Anybody else see the logic in what I'm saying?

Rotello
    Quote Originally Posted by rotello View Post
    I had anohter thought in this regard, though it's just that, a thought. I have no real info to back it up:

The very first app Palm demo'd on the Classic emulator was Epocrates, a program that is perhaps the premier medical database for Palm OS devices. That could point to the idea that Palm is particularly interested in catering to the medical community and would therefore be thinking/planning for the types of security concerns raised by the OP. Or maybe not.

If I had to guess, I'd put my money on the Pre being able to satisfy the security requirements AT SOME POINT, though maybe not on launch day.

Anybody else see the logic in what I'm saying?

Rotello
    It's possible, but I think the real reason they demoed Epocrates is because it is an expensive legacy application (and relatively well-known) and they wanted to drive home the point that people that invested in it don't have to leave it behind in order to go forward with a Pre.

After all, people that can spend that much on a mobile application can certainly afford a Pre. They don't want to alienate those wallets.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12